Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?

Go down 
+2
alj
Domenic Pappalardo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? Empty
PostSubject: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:30 am

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:20 am

The positive thing about "chit-chat" is that it helps us to get to know each other better. When we do, if we "listen," we can come to appreciate our diversity and our individual perspectives. Posting in the WIP section is a step that requires a bit of courage, inviting others to tell us what they think of our creations. A year or so ago, I posted a bit called "The Process of Writing," which is now, thanks to Shelagh, a sticky at the top of the "Writer's Cafe" section. These paragraphs from that article speak to that circumstance:

Quote :
And here, I’d like to shift gears a little, and focus on that function
of being an early reader of a fellow writer's work. As a classroom
teacher, I learned, both from experience and training, that it is
important to the writer’s finished product, that we give our advice and
suggestions based on (a) where the writer is in the process, and that we
focus, first, on (b) what we see as being positive in the writing.
After we have encouraged the writer by pointing out the really good
stuff, we can be helpful by giving our impression as a reader, of what
might need more clarification, or be more interesting if it were
presented in a different manner. And we need to be clear in our own
minds, when we offer advice that involves making changes, that we have
not allowed our own egos to get in the way.

Diversity, we are
beginning to learn, is a good thing. Writers have diverse styles, too.
The more fluent writers can often be recognized by their unique style.
It is not our job as readers to attempt to impose our style onto
another’s writing.

It is also helpful, as the writer of a piece of work, to be specific as to what she is looking for in the way of advice, and which stage of the process his piece has reached.

Having a place where we can network about the business of writing is a good thing. The new sections on ebooks and Kindle are good examples. That section nearly always has new posts.

Some members here prefer to use the forum to promote their own work without getting involved with the casual discussions. That's fine.

One thing a successful writer's forum needs to be is a safe place. We need to know we can trust each other if we are going to be giving and getting advice.

Sometimes the outside world is so insistent and intruding that we are compelled to get involved with it, and our concern can spill over into our "chatty" discussions. Personally, I think that being able to get our concerns off our chests is a good thing, especially when the world news is upsetting and stressful, so long as we are able to let it go and get back to our work once we have each said our piece.

We are all individuals. We are different, one from another. We often disagree. That's good, too, when we can disagree respectfully.

Having been around this place for a bit, from my personal perspective and perceptions, it seems to me that we use the other parts of the board most when we feel safe. It isn't about having the other members praise us or agree with us; it's about feeling that we have come to know each other well enough to know that what we have to say will be validated in one way or another, and that we can trust that the others are being objective.

Just me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 am

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
The chat room is good for members who want to talk about the this’s and that’s…would you think about a second room for the few, or maybe the many who don’t post, but want to discus writing only? Some have signed on looking for a forum to improve, or learn how to write. They get is a “Hello,” and find the few who post daily are just using the forum as a chat room.

The last post in work in progress was June 13 2011. I think chit chat is good, and solving the worlds problems clears the soul, but should it be the apex of a writers forum?
Hi Domenic,

Use the Writers' Cafe for all things writerly.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 am

Even when we're chatting, we're writing. It is refreshing to change gears and talk about things important to us. And as Ann said, we get to know one another.

Giving a critique can be a sensitive thing. Can the writer accept the truth? Does the writer want the truth or flattery? And was is perceived as the truth is in the view of the reader. Getting input from various sources is more balanced.

From past experience, I hesititate to give my opinion unless I know the person better. When a newbie comes on the board, we want to get to know them before commenting on their work.

Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 6:02 pm

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 am

Hi Domenic,

No you are not a PITA and your question is a valid one.

If you look at most of the more active forum member's posts numbers you will see that they are in the thousands. Abe has more than 5000 posts and Shelagh well over 8000.

Those posts have not all been chit-chat. This forum has been around a few years.

Forums go through changes. I was here in the early days of this forum. We DID talk A LOT about writing. And it was a VERY active writers forum. And we all got to know each other very well.

I've met some incredibly kind-hearted people here. Several members have passed away and the support the folks here gave to them when they were ill (thinking of Rainbow still makes my eyes water), and to their families after was touching.

Things like that create a closeness that naturally results in posts that become personal and perhaps off-forum-topic.

And if we don't talk about writing all the time it is because we have probably covered it from most aspects already.

But when new writers join us and bring up writing conversations, I know there are members here (DK especially) who do make a real effort to welcome them and answer their questions and contribute to those new writing threads.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 am

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 am

Pain In The A**, Dom.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:20 am

As JoElle mentioned, we have covered most writing subjects in the past and they still exist on various threads. A new person may not know where to find them and asks for information. No single thread has all the information and may not answer a specific question. With the changing publishing industry and innovations, the answers will continue to vary/change.

Talk about writing whenever you want. Talk about your cat or dog if you want. You may learn something in these off-beat conversations that may provide input for your next novel.

If I want to write about animals, I know that Betty is a good source of information. At the same time, if I were writing about trucking, JoElle would be a good choice. To write about native Americans, Don Stephens is a good choice, etc. We have a treasure of talent here who are willing to share their knowledge when asked.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:38 am

Don't ask me; I know nothing, yer honour.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 am

Shelagh wrote:

So if you want to know something about nothing, ask Shelagh? Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, couldn't resist, Shelagh.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Shelagh wrote:

So if you want to know something about nothing, ask Shelagh? Evil or Very Mad
You're just trying to trick me. I don't know nothin', yer lordship.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:50 pm

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Domenic, I'm curious, did you ever go by the name of James or Elders?

Sorry, just having a bit of deja vu, and you are probably an innocent bystander.

Maybe. Very Happy

Ann
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 pm

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Many of us first met on the PAMB (PublishAmerica Message Boards) One of the members held court at his Chill-out Bar thread. Your idea sounded eerily familiar.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:06 am

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 7:17 am

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Publish America...? Never would go to PM in ten trillion years. Not saying others should not. No me.

Not suggesting you should, just answering your question.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 am

... and Domenic is not a PITA? ... mmm
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:24 am

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:30 am

You wouldn't get away from me on a desert island so quick, either, Domenic. Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? 855547
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 11:00 am

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 pm

LOL!
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Laughing You two are funny!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?   Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I just a pain in the ass talking about writing?
Page 1 of 1