Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Hot stuff

Go down 
+5
Dick Stodghill
JoElle
P. Gordon Kennedy
A Ahad
Jim Woods
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jim Woods
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Jim Woods

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 6:53 am

The projected temp is 107 (F.) in Tucson today, the week peaking at 109 but cooling to 105 over the next seven days. Are we hot, or what?

Jim Woods
www.ultrasw.com/jwoods
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 7:22 am

Jim,

The heat will make the oranges in them groves ripen quicker flower
Tucson's one of the hottest city in Arizona...and I mean that pretty literally an all. I visited there many years ago, and even in late March it was warmer compared to Phoenix and miles hotter than Flagstaff (which had snow).

I guess you're not far from Tombstone? We took a short drive down there near the Mexican border at the time and it was hotter there still...

Last edited by A Ahad on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jim Woods
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Jim Woods

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 8:36 am

Hi Abdul: Most of the time Phoenix runs a bit hotter than Tucson. They're on tap for 111 today. It really doesn't matter much how high the temps go once 100 is reached though, and we'll have a hundred days of it almost every summer. JIM
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 9:16 am

Where I live, we are having the opposite problem. Today we're only going to get into the low to mid 60's and yesterday we were in the high 50's. This is June, we should be in the 70's and low 80's, not the 60's and 50's!
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 am

I'm having both problems we were in Oklahoma City and it was warm and then Cheyenne and it was warm (finally), shorts and sandals weather ... but today we are in Portland OR and it is sweatshirt weather. Rolling Eyes

I do NOT like hot weather.
Mad

Jim, at least it is a dry heat. Granted 109 is HOT ... especially days on end. I hope your AC is in good working condition.
sunny

I used to live in South Texas where we would get 100+ degrees for weeks PLUS humidity. Yuck!!
Big part of the reason I do NOT live there anymore.
Crying or Very sad (counting the days until autumn)

(Forest Elf sends note to dispatcher "Do NOT send us to Tucson until after October")
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Good grief, a hundred days in the hundreds! How do you stand it, Jim? At my age you shouldn't be hoping for the days to pass too quickly but I'm with JoElle on looking forward to autumn. And the high today in Akron is 66.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:15 pm

It is 74 in most of Wisconsin today. We went to Wisconsin Dells with two grandchildren and took a look at Lake Delton which drained during the storms. There was a big sign for four hour pontoon boat rides and someone had put the 95 cents after the words.. It just shows that no matter what happens one can always find something humorous. It really is sad that the lake is now muck and all those who had lake front property have it no more.

I had a friend who lived in Tuscon for years helping her mother and father who had moved there from the north. Last December her mother died. Her father had died some years before, so she moved to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. That is about as much of a change as you can find. She survived the winter with 200 inches of snow.

Carol Hot stuff 842802
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Jim Woods
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Jim Woods

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Dick, the way we handle our 100 X 100 is that the car, the house and all the places to spend money are air-conditioned, and we spend as little time as possible getting from one to the other. JIM
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Carol is fortunate to be living in the north. I personally can't stand the heat and it is getting warmer each year even in the north. All of this was predicted and for some they still don't believe there is a problem.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Abe,

However, we had the snowiest winter ever with over 100 inches of snow around Madison, Wisconsin. It was also cold and now we are having 100 year floods. Every day there is some extreme weather somewhere. I also believe that is part of the changes from global warming.

Our summers are wonderful here, not too hot and not cold. Once in a while the temperature reaches the 90s, but most of the time it is pleasant.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Dear Jim,
I remember the heat in Arizona and also those things called evaporative coolers that people used to cool the house back in the 60's. They were a big blower that vented into the house, and water ran over the pads where the fresh air was sucked in.

There used to be an advertisement on old television about sending your Sinuses to Arizona. Rolling Eyes I suppose that was supposed to bake the snot out of you. Laughing

Florida is hot and also humid. But!!!! Florida has oceans and gulf and plants and fish and trees and bugs and lots and lots of critters. I love Florida.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 7:18 am

Betty, in case you missed it on another thread I have copied the following post:
No, Betty, even the lights at the Circle K convenience store on the corner don't block out the moon and stars. From our 6th floor balcony the clouds are beautiful and ever-changing because those we see far to the north are lake effect clouds over and near Lake Erie. A thunderstorm is truly spectacular.
The closest thing I have seen to it is when we lived high on Hanna's Hill in Cooperstown, New York and could watch as a nor'easter came swooping down over Lake Otsego, the village and the place where the Susquehanna River begins. I've been in many countries and all over this one but the area of the Northern Catskills that lies between the Catskills and the Adirondacks is the most beautiful I have seen. You would love watching the deer and big snowshoe hares that came to our yard to eat in the winter and all the other wildlife in the area, including bears. Oddly enough there were no poisonous snakes although just to the south where the Susquehanna makes a sweeping turn there were rattlesnakes on the far side and a little to the north beyond the Mohawk River there was a differerent breed of rattlers. The million or more visitors to the Baseball Hall of Fame every year or to see the setting of James Fenimore Cooper's books rarely see the best features of the beautiful area.
You would also enjoy walking the old Mohawk warpath that ran through our property. In times of peace, the Mohawks used a trail on the east side of Lake Otsego (the Glimmerglass of Cooper's stories). When they were at war with the Oneidas or some other tribe they would follow a path on the west side for purposes of observation. Until we moved there I thought "warpath" was just an expression, not something that actually existed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Ah, those hills. Used to drive through the Catskills on my way from Upstate NY to my home in Penna. And the mention of those Cooper stories sure does bring back memories.
The mountains give me my best memories.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 am

Betty, we called them 'swamp' coolers in the 60's. They turned your yard into a swamp with all the left over water! In those days I used a lot of hair spray and the humid air from the cooler made my hair all gooey!!

The catskills sound lovely. Anyone know how they came by that name?

We have been about 7 degrees lower than normal so far this year. Lucky to hit the 50's and once in a while the 60's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 12:47 pm

What a lovely description of your portion of this earth, Dick. I have never been north, except for a short trip to Indiana in November one year. It was dismal and cold and snow everywhere. One lovely thing that I saw on that trip was the mysterious deer. We had stopped somewhere along the road to admire the forest. About a dozen deer were there for a split second. They blended in with the colors of the woods and the snow so well that we could not see them as they got away from us. Even in the picture we had taken, they are not to be seen. Elfish deer, they were.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

Hot stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot stuff   Hot stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Hot stuff
Page 1 of 1