Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Calling all techies

Go down 
+2
LC
dkchristi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Calling all techies Empty
PostSubject: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:14 pm

I have a new 32 inch LED 1080p 60 mhz Phillips television, purchased to double as a computer monitor.

It does not have a VGA male to connect to the vga male on my computer. Most televisions do have the vga male. In spite of what Best Buy told me, this one does not have the vga male.

There are HDMI male to VGA male cables online from $1.99 to $39.00. They all say the same thing other than the length of the cable. I'm afraid I'll plug in the cheaper one and it won't have the conversion insides to convert the vga to hdmi.

Any suggestions? In the meantime, I still only have this netbook and I think I'm getting carpel tunnel from it....

And as I type this, I'm not sure about the two males - maybe one is male and the other female since the output is from the computer and the input is to the television. The television is definitely hdmi.

!!!!! and I can't get any of the genius's at Radio Shack, Best Buy, tech support for Sam's etc. to give me a clear answer.

Many thank you's.......desperate to use new "monitor." The television is grand, but I need to write, not watch....:-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:40 pm

I don't know anything about VGA connections. But I noticed you said you were getting carpal tunnel from your netbook. Are you using a wireless mouse with it? If not, get one! It really helps. I can't use a laptop myself without it.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 5:33 pm

You're right, that'll help with the netbook. I have a great setup if I can get the computer hooked up to the Phillips tv.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:07 am

DK, Go to the Phillips web site find their FAQ on your model. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 6:03 am

Thanks. It says to use an HDMI to DVI connector or adapter. Since I have VGA and not DVI; their recommendation misses the main issue!
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 am

3/20/2011

DK..

If you bought it at Best Buy I would go back to
them and get a straight answer, I've always heard their
the worst...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:29 am

"...did you say that you liked goblins..." went the goblin adding a stream

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:17 am

You could add a wireless connector:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pc+to+tv+wireless
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:20 am

dkchristi wrote:
Thanks. It says to use an HDMI to DVI connector or adapter. Since I have VGA and not DVI; their recommendation misses the main issue!
The DVI end is usually connected to an apple mac computer. If you do not have an apple computer you will need to get a small DVI to VGA adapter and use the HDMI to DVI adapter as well.
This is a double adaptation but should work provided you have the correct DVI.
There are three types of DVI connectors DVI-A(Analog only), DVI-I(Analog & Digital), and DVI-D(D Meaning Digital). You can run a VGA output into a DVI-A device or a DVI-I device as long as it's expecting an analog signal but to run a VGA output into a digital device (your TV) requires the output to be converted to Digital using a converter box as in the video above. These things are not cheap though.
It would be better to get a straight VGA converter box like in the video but you will need two leads plus an audio lead.
Calling all techies Moz-screenshot
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:24 pm

"...I have a computer port in my television..." mentioned the goblin, explaining "...therefore I opted for a docking station instead of the signal converter, meaning that I just place the laptop in the docking station and everything becomes connected, where releasing it from the docking station, it becomes a laptop again, no fiddling with spaghetti each time, actually the laptop only has vga output that the docking station converts to the television signal..."

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Neat!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 pm

It's getting more and more expensive....from $74 to $139 plus cables. Geez....but I appreciate all the potential solutions. Now, I just need a less expensive option or a source less expensive.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:53 pm

"...ah the fun of second hand shop near you..." replied the goblin knowing that, as it stands, something had to be bought since the signal coming out of the computer still needed to be converted to that which the television can display, then asking "...have a look at this picture below, note that near next the blue vga port, anther port that is often on computer meant for televisions, the dvi port, does your television have one, if so, life becomes easier because that means no conversion is needed, but then again, few laptops have dvi ports, they are mostly on desktops..."

Calling all techies Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmTd0F4Ltg4T8vlNse3XJiVY_vLkkmi4d2p0VDhL2Ls78hZbPQrQ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling all techies   Calling all techies Empty

Back to top Go down

Calling all techies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: