Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The true meaning of just about everything...

Go down 
+3
alj
alice
madhatter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

The true meaning of just about everything... Empty
PostSubject: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 4:26 pm

This year, I have the pleasure of sharing time with a dear friend who has recently been diagnosed with an aggressive form of ALS (Lou Gerig's Disease).

I say pleasure--not meant in a flippant way. I am terribly sad.

For the next few weeks--until her voice fails her--I am taping messages for her to leave her 14-year-old daughter. It takes every ounce of my emotional strength, yet she lifts me up every time I see her.

At this point, her hands and legs don't work. Her voice--once forceful and vibrant--is barely loud enough for the camcorder to pick up. She laughs as she tells stories of her child's past. Over and over, she says, "I love you. I am proud of you. You are an amazing young woman." Words, I hope will help her daughter in the future when she stumbles.

As with many things, the small amount I give is rewarded tenfold.

Truly, we are the connections we make with the humans around us.

If you have a spare spot in your prayers and wishes, say one for her and her daughter.
I am honored to know her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Rhett,

I am so sorry. You are all in my prayers.

Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 5:56 pm

A few years ago, our church lost a dear friend and minister to ALS. It is a difficult thing for everyone involved. My prayers go with all of you.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 6:35 pm

I have no words. I am more convinced all the time that the pleasures in life are the vignettes of joy - that come between the rest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Very touching Rhett. I add my voice to those above. What you are experiencing is special and not forgotten. The child will have something to cherish for the rest of her life. What a gift!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 2:54 am

What a sad time, Rhett, so close to Christmas. This is a devastating event for the family and it is wonderful to know that you are there for them. It cannot be easy. Stay strong for your friend. That will be your Christmas gift.

Take care. My thoughts will be with your friend and her daughter over the not-so-festive season.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 pm

madhatter wrote:
For the next few weeks--until her voice fails her--I am taping messages for her to leave her 14-year-old daughter. It takes every ounce of my emotional strength, yet she lifts me up every time I see her.

At this point, her hands and legs don't work. Her voice--once forceful and vibrant--is barely loud enough for the camcorder to pick up. She laughs as she tells stories of her child's past. Over and over, she says, "I love you. I am proud of you. You are an amazing young woman." Words, I hope will help her daughter in the future when she stumbles.

I am honored to know her.

Dixie, when you post things like this I feel honored to know you. You are such a generous, loving, and warm person. You are what reminds me that this world is a wonderful place and people are amazing.

You and your kindness are what makes me argue that people are GOOD, if we just look at the right people.

One of my favorite quotes is from "Tuck Everlasting" by Natalie Babbitt it is: 'Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever. You just have to live.'

We are not here forever. But while we are here, we should do more than just exist from day to day. We should make each day count. Live like we mean it. And ENJOY this wonderful (but so short and fragile) thing called life.

Your friend is giving her daughter something precious. Memories are a gift that can last forever if shared over and over.

Death is inevitable and losing friends and family is sad. But while the cycle of life and death can take the person from us. Nothing can take the memories of our time with them. In that way they can stay with us even after they are gone.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 12:12 pm

JoElle,

The true meaning of just about everything... 950944

You are so wise!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Thank you all so much.

Had a wonderful afternoon with my friend and her daughter. She watched as her daughter opened her two huge bags of gifts from "mom and her special Santas". Priceless!

She wore a fun elf hat with huge ears and I was able to get some good pictures of the two of them goofing off.

Merry Christmas to all of you, my Published Author friends!
The true meaning of just about everything... 845458
Rhett
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 11:32 pm

The true meaning of just about everything... 765642 I have a very warm feeling today and it encompasses all of you on this forum.
This is a good day for hugs.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:08 am

Thank you, Abe. I feel warmly towards you and everyone here also.
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Wow...I felt that hug in North Florida! heart
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The true meaning of just about everything...   The true meaning of just about everything... Empty

Back to top Go down

The true meaning of just about everything...
Page 1 of 1