Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Proofreading manuscripts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dreams

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-10-23

Proofreading manuscripts Empty
PostSubject: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:27 am

Have you written or just started writing a book and need someone besides friends and family to give you their honest unbiased opinion?

Are you ready for some REAL criticism? Are you ready for some unbiased ADVICE?

Our readers are just like you.

Check us out at www.publisherready.com and get started.
Back to top Go down
http://www.publisherready.com
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 8:45 am

Dreams, I just checked your website because I have trouble with certain words and hoped you could help, but in reading your home page, I found this:

"One service that publishers do not offer are proofreading services."

I'm probably wrong, so I hope the others here will chime in, but if it's ONE service, shouldn't it be IS instead of are? If I'm wrong, I applogize, but if I'm right, how could I trust you to help me if you're wrong on the first page?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 11:21 am

The sentence structure is poor. The problem is with service and services. If you turn the sentence around:

Proofreading services are one service that publishers do not offer.

"services are one service" conflict.

Better to say:

Many publishers do not offer proofreading services.

Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dreams

PostSubject: Re: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 am

lyntx,

There are several ways to write this sentence.

One service that publishers do not offer is proofreading.

or

Proofreading services are one service that publishers do not offer.

I agree with Shelagh and will update my website with "Many publishers do not offer proofreading services".

I would like to point out that I am not offering an editing service. This service is to add a second or even third set of eyes to something you have written. To provide a non-biased read from someone you don't know.

I will make recommendations such as editing, flow and consistancy based on what what I am sent. I will let you know if I thought your work is any good.

Again, I am not an editor and my fees are not even close to editorial fees. But just like you, I spot the things that don't appear to be correct or seem to be out of place. It's this extra set of eyes that a writer needs because they will almost always overlook their own errors.
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

ok, but if your sentce structure is poor, how can you charge me to fix mine?
Back to top Go down
dreams

PostSubject: Re: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 pm

My fee is not to FIX errors, but to make recommendations if at all possible just as Shelagh provided us with sentence structure advice. I have one comment and one recommendation for you. If your decision to use my service is based on a sentence from my website, then I believe you should look for assistance elsewhere. My recommendation for you is to find an editor to work with. I wasn’t going to comment on the misspelled words in your posts, but now I have a suspicion you purposely misspelled words to make a point. Again, Publisher Ready is not an editing service. Good Luck to you.
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 am

Sorry I offended you, didn't mean to do that. My typing isn' the greatest and I have trouble with some words. I guess I don't understand the differnce in what your offering and having my book edited. Your saying I would have to pay two times to get edited?

And I would base my decision to use you or anyone else by your website.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proofreading manuscripts   Proofreading manuscripts Empty

Back to top Go down

Proofreading manuscripts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Books-
Jump to: