Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Do you advertise online?

Go down 
4 posters

Do you advertise online?
Yes and it has helped me
Do you advertise online? Vote_lcap50%Do you advertise online? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Yes but it did not help
Do you advertise online? Vote_lcap50%Do you advertise online? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
No and I will not try
Do you advertise online? Vote_lcap0%Do you advertise online? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No but I will try it in the future
 0% [ 0 ]
I don't know, publisher does it all
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
ibookdb
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ibookdb

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Do you advertise online? Empty
PostSubject: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 8:53 am

Just wanted to see if any of you do advertise online yourself or leave that to your publisher. If you do advertise online, where and has it helped you increase sales?
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:35 am

When my POD book first came out in 2004, I bought a few banners at the flat rate and, while I noticed a traffic increase at my web site, I didn't see that the traffic translated into sales. Perhaps if I sold my books directly off my site rather than sending people to Amazon that might have been different.

Most ad space on most sites costs far too much money for a person footing the bill for his own POD book. Banners used to be cheaper, but now the click through costs send them out of my budget fairly quickly.

I've seen very little return from them, but I think a publisher with an online book store to which the add clicks are sent my have more action.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
ibookdb
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ibookdb

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 12:39 pm

Do you think it would have helped you if you sent your ads directly to Amazon instead of your site?

What did you think of CPM (pay for thousand impressions) as compared to CPC (pay per click)?

How much should a first time author be willing to pay for advertising? If online advertising did not work for you did you try other means of advertising? What was the best method?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptySat May 31, 2008 9:09 am

The problem with either CPM or CPC, is that the pricing is set up for the budgets of corporations, not individuals. To get a "reasonable" amount of traffic, I would have to pay hundreds of dollars a month. Since POD books don't make hundreds of dollars a month, that's not a viable use of money.

Yes, it might have worked better to send people straight to Amazon with the banners.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
ibookdb
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ibookdb

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 7:59 am

Malcolm wrote:
The problem with either CPM or CPC, is that the pricing is set up for the budgets of corporations, not individuals. To get a "reasonable" amount of traffic, I would have to pay hundreds of dollars a month. Since POD books don't make hundreds of dollars a month, that's not a viable use of money.

Yes, it might have worked better to send people straight to Amazon with the banners.

Malcolm

Actually that is no longer true. The price of online ads has been decreasing every year. I don't know what kind of pricing you have come across but I can give you the example of ibookdb. At our current rate of 60$/year for our text ads, the CPM price comes to about $1.50 and is constantly decreasing because our visitors are increasing.

It's a little more than double of that for out top placed text ads but I don't have enough data points yet to actually have a real estimate.

For google adsense, you can set low budgets like 1$/day and still get significant ad impressions and clicks depending on your keywords and ad copy. Advertising on Myspace is expensive but I think Facebook has some options that are cheaper. Though it is just easier to use site targetted advertising from google rather than direct with Facebook, MySpace or other large Social networks. Also adsense is on most major book related sites and you can site target your ads and save more money.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:45 am

If you're making the text ads work, that's great. I've seen no impact from them--or banners either.

My experience--and from what I read--is that it's difficult enough to get a person to remotely consider buying fiction from an unknown after they read an entire web page or display ad about it. Getting them to click on a small text ad or banner is very unlikely. Heck, I read hundreds of books a year, and I don't click on those kinds of ads because the odds of the book being very good AND within a genre I read are very small.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Chelle
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 am

I just wanted to clarify my answer, my "advertising" online is FREE promotional stuff such as my Author site on Blogger, icons and such on MySpace and Facebook. It seems to get me quite a few "hits" and my sales numbers on B&N are on par with some of the indie books whose authors spend lots of dollars with ads.
Back to top Go down
http://chellecordero.blogspot.com/
ibookdb
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ibookdb

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 10:39 am

Chelle wrote:
I just wanted to clarify my answer, my "advertising" online is FREE promotional stuff such as my Author site on Blogger, icons and such on MySpace and Facebook. It seems to get me quite a few "hits" and my sales numbers on B&N are on par with some of the indie books whose authors spend lots of dollars with ads.

What do you think of Myspace and Facebook vs. your own site. What has been better in your opinion?
Back to top Go down
jjbreunig3
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
jjbreunig3

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:47 am

I continue to advertize via the Internet, but as yet, it has not translated into significant sales. As someone once noted, "You only have to succeed the last time". So I will continue my efforts, knowing that God honors His Word. --Joe
Back to top Go down
http://www.squidoo.com/book-isbn-1419650513
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you advertise online?   Do you advertise online? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you advertise online?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Marketing :: Marketing Tips-
Jump to: