Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

That Koran-burning guy

Go down 
+4
alice
Al Stevens
Shelagh
LC
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 9:58 am

I'm not bashing Obama (don't care about him enough to bash him). I'm pointing out that he nominated a Supreme Court Justice specifically for an "empathy factor" which he wished to see on the Court. Well, what does that mean? To empathize with someone means you feel for them. And feelings have nothing to do with logic, guilt or innocence. They're emotion-driven.

Well, that's what happened with the first OJ trial. The jurors empathized. Either that, or the prosecution was so incredibly incompetent that the jurors couldn't convict him. I don't know.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:22 am

The prosecution was incredibly incompetent and doing everything but their jobs. Remember Marica Clark and Christopher Darden? They were allegedly having an affair... etc.

Last edited by alice on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:42 am

LC wrote:
To empathize with someone means you feel for them.
Don't confuse empathy and sympathy. Empathy means you share and can relate to their feelings. But you don't necessarily feel for them specifically.

LC wrote:
And feelings have nothing to do with logic, guilt or innocence.
Interesting. Isn't that the criticism that Republicans leveled at her based on her unemotional, letter-of-the-law-based ruling in a specific case?

LC wrote:
Well, that's what happened with the first OJ trial. The jurors empathized. Either that, or the prosecution was so incredibly incompetent that the jurors couldn't convict him. I don't know.
Some of both. The jurors wanted to acquit. The prosecution made it possible.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Quote :
Interesting. Isn't that the criticism that Republicans leveled at her based on her unemotional, letter-of-the-law-based ruling in a specific case?

No idea. I don't listen to much the Republicans say, either. I'm sure Sotomayor will do fine.

Quote :
Don't confuse empathy and sympathy. Empathy means you share and can relate to their feelings. But you don't necessarily feel for them specifically.

And don't you miss the forest for the trees. If Obama didn't want a justice to act on empathy, why look for that quality in an appointee? Why mention it? What would be the point?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:48 pm

LC wrote:
If Obama didn't want a justice to act on empathy, why look for that quality in an appointee? Why mention it? What would be the point?
I believe that's exactly what he wants. He wants, and we all should want, a judicial system that, in its interpretation of written law, considers not only the letter but the spirit, too, remembering that laws are of, for, and by the people. Without empathy, you might as well have a computer sitting on the bench.

This is why the system operates with intentionaly ambiguous written law and unambiguous case law, which records specific interpretations in specific circumstances. A lawmaker cannot consider every possible situation under which the law might be tested. That's the foundation of how our system works, based on the centuries-old English legal system, and without empathy and mercy, it could not work.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Great. So there's your answer for why OJ went free. The first time, at least. I guess the second jury wasn't as empathetic.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:30 pm

LC wrote:
Great. So there's your answer for why OJ went free. The first time, at least. I guess the second jury wasn't as empathetic.
Not at all. The second jury had rock-solid evidence. The first one did not. They applied reasonable doubt. Empathy was not a factor.

The connection you're trying to make just isn't there. If you must persist with it, then take the last word with my blessings, and let's move on.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Back to that American woman jailed in Iraq. I see they let her go, but are holding onto the two guys. I do have to wonder, what were they doing hiking in Iraq, anyhow? Was it the scenery?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:12 am

Probably the intrigue. They wil have best-selling books for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That Koran-burning guy   That Koran-burning guy - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

That Koran-burning guy
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3