Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Wikileaks affair

Go down 
+4
Al Stevens
alj
mike bryon
LC
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

The Wikileaks affair Empty
PostSubject: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 8:58 am

So what do you think of the Wikileaks mess? Overblown or detrimental? What do you think should be done with Bradley Manning, the guy who stole and leaked the cables? I think he should be executed for treason, myself, whether the leaks are harmful or not.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100727/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_afghanistan_wikileaks
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 10:58 am

Overblown. When I read reports of the content of the files I was left feeling - so what nothing new. I very much doubt if the files will turn public opinion further against the war as hoped.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:40 am

Well, in a different article, some government officials discussed how all that raw data is actually a treasure trove in other ways. For instance, countries with the ability to analyze it, such as China, can form conclusions on how competent US intelligence is, how accurate their forecasts are (since the cables go back several years), etc.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 1:13 pm

The info may be overblown, but the leak itself is serious. It should never have happened. If it isn't treason, it is close.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 4:02 pm

You can't call it treason until you know who leaked it. If it was a foreign agent, that's not treason, it's espionage.

If the documents are indeed "once-secret" as reported, that's not treason, either. That's the freedom of information act working as it should.

Let's not jump to condemn someone before we have all the facts.

You want treason? Jane Fonda. Scooter Libby. Dick Cheney. Robert Novak. Why weren't any of them shot?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Assange was able to leak it only because Manning provided it. And I don't think any of it was available under the FOI act.

Fonda made some boneheaded appearances, but nothing on the level of leaking classified cables. As far as I know. Can't speak to the rest.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 6:19 pm

You'd be surprised what's available under FOI.

Fonda emboldened and empowered the enemy to the extreme disadvantage of American POWs. I'd pull the trigger on her myself. And I am a staunch opponent of capital punishment.

The others outed Valerie Plame as a covert ops operative. All her assets were put at risk. Her projects were rendered useless. We can't even know how much ground that cost us.

Libby, under the guidance of Cheney, did it for political gain to punish her husband for reporting what he knew to be true about Saddam's suspected,would-be WMDs rather than what the Bush administration wanted to have reported. Novak was their willing pawn, their conduit to the conservative press. He did the outing in his column.

What happened here is small potatoes compared to that.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:48 am

Quote :
So what do you think of the Wikileaks mess?

"...if documents are deemed "once classified" then every american citizen has a right to know about them, as it is fundamentally american both to allow "freedom of the press" and to defend that freedom too, whereas if its intelligence service is so incompetent that it doesn't know which information should or shouldn't remain classified here, then it all points to all the more reason why they should be accountable to their citizens then..." mentioned the goblin feeling that if there wasn't some working framework under which "freedom of information" is guaranteed to its citizens, as in first amendment perhaps, then america just turns into an orchestrated democracy then, so the goblin just joked "...when the blind lead the blind then democracy is ditched..."

The Wikileaks affair 1904thewoundedangelhugohp0
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 am

I am against executions no matter the crime.

Last edited by alice on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 am

Al Stevens wrote:
You'd be surprised what's available under FOI.

Fonda emboldened and empowered the enemy to the extreme disadvantage of American POWs. I'd pull the trigger on her myself. And I am a staunch opponent of capital punishment.

The others outed Valerie Plame as a covert ops operative. All her assets were put at risk. Her projects were rendered useless. We can't even know how much ground that cost us.

Libby, under the guidance of Cheney, did it for political gain to punish her husband for reporting what he knew to be true about Saddam's suspected,would-be WMDs rather than what the Bush administration wanted to have reported. Novak was their willing pawn, their conduit to the conservative press. He did the outing in his column.

What happened here is small potatoes compared to that.

I am more staunch!
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Today it was revealed that the 90,000 pages do indeed "out" some intelligence assets in Afghanistan. And that the jerk who published them read only about 3,000 of those pages before releasing the whole mess.

This is not small potatoes. This is large potatoes.

Two possible ill effects. Our friends in Afghanistan might be hunted down and punished by the Taliban. Our ability to recruit more friends has been compromised. Who can trust us?

This is serious.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

So it's even worse than Jane Fonda, is that what you're saying?

I'd be surprised if Assange read 3,000. Maybe 300?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 9:59 am

LC wrote:
So it's even worse than Jane Fonda, is that what you're saying?
No, I didn't say that.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 1:41 pm

I didn't see where he said anything remotely resembling that.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Al said:

Quote :
Fonda emboldened and empowered the enemy to the extreme disadvantage of
American POWs. I'd pull the trigger on her myself. And I am a staunch
opponent of capital punishment.

I disagree with him, but he did say it.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Ann,

Talk about a stretch. I certainly did not say that wikileaks was worse than the Fonda affair. How on earth did you find that in my words?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 5:53 pm

I thought he meant Jane Fonda was worse!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

You kind of flip-flopped, Al -

The Wikileaks affair The Wikileaks affair Icon_minipostedTue Jul 27, 2010 6:02 pm:
Quote :
You can't call it treason until you know who leaked it. If it was a foreign agent, that's not treason, it's espionage.

If
the documents are indeed "once-secret" as reported, that's not treason,
either. That's the freedom of information act working as it should.

Let's not jump to condemn someone before we have all the facts.

The Wikileaks affair The Wikileaks affair Icon_minipostedWed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 pm:
Quote :
Today it was revealed that the 90,000 pages do indeed "out" some
intelligence assets in Afghanistan. And that the jerk who published them
read only about 3,000 of those pages before releasing the whole mess.

This is not small potatoes. This is large potatoes.

Two
possible ill effects. Our friends in Afghanistan might be hunted down
and punished by the Taliban. Our ability to recruit more friends has
been compromised. Who can trust us?

This is serious.

It's hard to tell. To me, your second opinion sounds a lot worse than anything Fonda did.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:58 pm

There is nothing morally worse than what Fonda did.

But I didn't say what LC asked if I said, and you said I did say it. Then you quoted me as saying something else which had nothing to do with what LC asked.

You leapt to an unwarranted conclusion. I can only guess that you so much wanted to express your disapproval of my feelings about Fonda that you grabbed this opportunity to do so. In haste, obviously. You can do better than that. You usually do.

I changed my opinion of the seriousness of the wikileaks episode the day they announced that the leaked papers named names of intelligence assets. Thus it went from small to big potatoes. That's about it. You say potatoes and I say potatoes.

Anyway, given that announcement, the Wikileaks offense is more appropriately compared to that committed by Libby, Novak, and Cheney than it is to that committed by Fonda. Just based on the similarities of the offenses' potential consequences. In both cases, our intelligence operations were not only compromised, in some cases they were eliminated. And we'll never know at what cost.

The wikileaks guy doesn't deserves a firing squad irrespective of the consequences of his act. If we can ever assess them. As a private citizen without a security clearance he's in the clear. 1st Amendment and all that. Like Novak. But it was wrong, and he knew it.

But somewhere up the chain of leaks is someone who had approved access to those documents and who illegally leaked them. Like Cheney/Libby. That's the guy I want to find.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Quote :
But somewhere up the chain of leaks is someone who had approved access to those documents and who illegally leaked them. Like Cheney/Libby. That's the guy I want to find.

I'm not following -are you saying someone besides Manning really leaked those cables?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 4:48 am

Al, you sound just like my brother. The Wikileaks affair Icon_lol

Just the mention of Fonda's name is still enough to send him into a tailspin, too. Whether he would admit it or not, much of his disapproval has to do with her being a feminist, poking her little nose into a place she didn't belong.

Just me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:57 am

I am not anti-feminist like you describe your brother. My issues with Fonda have nothing to do with that. Searching ad hominem for some imagined and irrelevant character flaw in me does not deflect the severity of what Hanoi Jane did or add strength to your support of her.

Your brother is right, his views on feminism notwithstanding. She did poke her nose where it didn't belong--into the camp and the confidence of the enemy, the captors, jailers and torturers of Americans.

I don't know where you were and what you were doing when all that went down. I know where I was.

Last edited by Al Stevens on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:00 am

LC wrote:
Quote :

I'm not following -are you saying someone besides Manning really leaked those cables?

No. He might very well be the guy. The investigation is still underway.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:14 am

Quote :
I don't know where you were and what you were doing when all that went down. I know where I was.

I was at home, having babies who are now in their forties. It was a long time ago. Times and most people change.

Let's move on.

Ann
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:24 am

"...if someone publishes non classified material, and then gets investigated for doing so, what does that actually tell you about the situation in america now..." mentioned the goblin here, adding "...clearly the fault here is not with the barman but with those who ordered the drinks for their own hangover here...", in fact, the goblin understood that there was a very important "freedom of the press" principle at stake here, adding "...I think there would be a lot less deaths on the field if the president fulfilled his election promise of "bringing the boys home", where this war is neither winnable nor sustainable, so why do we keep on slaughtering ourselves, wasn't ten years in nam and now eight years in iraq enough, because I don't know what they might think they're achieving by being there, but simply, hearts and minds are hardening against them as the carnage continues..."

The Wikileaks affair 618e1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wikileaks affair   The Wikileaks affair Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wikileaks affair
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next