Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Pillars of the Earth

Go down 
+2
LC
dkchristi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Pillars of the Earth Empty
PostSubject: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 am

I had another surprise at Barnes and Noble. Pillars of the Earth was on a stand in two versions: Oprah's selection, a trade paperback with a little gold edge on it with a hefty price of $24.95 and what I guess PA is calling paperback version, a smaller, fatter book of cheaper paper at $9.99.

I know I thought the trade paperback prices for POD books was high - but here is an example of a traditional press with a high-priced trade paperback next to its cheaper version. The whole publishing game is getting more complicated by the day.

I read an article indicating Amazon sold more Kindle ebooks than print books. The changes are happening faster than I imagined.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Publishers have printed two or three versions of the same book for a long time. I've owned two paperback versions of Bonfire of the Vanities; one a mass-market paperback, the other a larger, more expensive book, for over 20 years.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:04 am

My point was that they were sitting side by side in the store. My second point was the high price for the trade paperback; comparable to P.O.D. books that are generally higher priced than traditional presses. My third point was the fast encroachment of ebook sales. Thus, the three points added up to my observation that the publishing game is changing rapidly.

LC, perhaps you are not aware that when you respond to a forum post, you put in language designed to make the person to whom you are responding look less informed with you as well-informed. Since that's your style, you certainly will continue to use it. Some people make excuses for that lack of courtesy by calling it "straight talk" or "telling it like it is."

What's telling is that you wish to push buttons that cause other people to respond to you in a negative way.

I wouldn't be posting to this forum or publishing books if I didn't know that books are published in multiple formats...that was not the point. Therefore, thanks to your negative trouncing I have wasted a lot of time repeating my statement.

The direction intended was further discussion about the changing times, not my stupidity. Before I will put up with any more of your veiled mean-spirited comments on my thoughtful posts, I will remove these posts by me.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:18 am

? To me, your post read like you had never seen two different paperback versions of the same book, and I just said I had seen them. Perhaps you are not aware that you take offense very easily, where none was intended, and you do that all the time. Guess I'll just stop responding to your posts; you can get bent out of shape about others'.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:29 am

DK,

You are not stupid. No one can make you look stupid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 am

Hi DK,

No need to remove any posts. We like to read them!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:50 am

I agree. I like D. K.'s posts as well. They always have something to say I can relate to. If we are collecting books, getting the more expensive version is a good idea, but if we are into finding a good read, the less expensive version is the way to go.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 am

What Carol said.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 pm

I appreciate LC explaining it was not the intent to point out that my post indicated a 20 year absence of knowledge.

I am generally known as a namby pamby peacemaker. It is not LC's content that is at issue; it is the strident way of expression. I take no offense.

Others take offense at the way LC presents ideas and turns differing opinions into a contest of wills or rights and wrongs. Some people find that entertaining. Those argumentative and name calling, labeling type posts get a good following.

I recognize these are only little pieces of digital technology here and not worth getting excited over. I just noted LC's strident manner of presenting information, regardless of the topic. I do appreciate the variety of opinions and am glad for each and every member of this forum, LC included.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 pm

dkchristi wrote:

I am generally known as a namby pamby peacemaker.
True ... but you'll grow out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of the Earth   Pillars of the Earth Empty

Back to top Go down

Pillars of the Earth
Page 1 of 1