Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed. Empty
PostSubject: The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed.   The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed. EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 4:47 am

Dreaming of writing for a living is a bit like wishing for the moon. It’s a tough call and I guess it won’t come true if you can’t master self-doubt.

Domenic and Al lock horns but neither seems to suffer it. I mean this as a compliment as they both appear to have an unshakable assurance which serves them well. I often suffer self-doubt but I master it through a willingness to take risks.

Do all writers suffer self-doubt or is yours a different animal?

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed.   The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed. EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:21 am

mike bryon wrote:

Dreaming of writing for a living is a bit like wishing for the moon. It’s a tough call and I guess it won’t come true if you can’t master self-doubt.

Domenic and Al lock horns but neither seems to suffer it. I mean this as a compliment as they both appear to have an unshakable assurance which serves them well. I often suffer self-doubt but I master it through a willingness to take risks.

Do all writers suffer self-doubt or is yours a different animal?

Frequently. Especially when my book's publisher is put down. I remind myself that it had a good run for three years, selling over 500 copies online, that it has several good reviews, and was featured in a Joseph Campbell Foundation newsletter. Might not be NYTimes, but for a book with a limited audience, I feel that's OK.

I'm like Anne Lamott (Bird by Bird). I get embarrassed when I read my "shi**y first drafts." It takes courage to buck up and keep revising.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed.   The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed. EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:50 am

Quote :
Do all writers suffer self-doubt

Not sure what you mean. Your post sounded like it was actually describing self-confidence.

Re self-doubt, I do get that when I'm in the middle of a book. It manifests itself as me wondering if I'm hitting the target of what instructors in that subject need. Am I covering the right stuff, am I covering it well, are my illustrations on point. I mostly get those thoughts when I've been working for hours/days/weeks on end and am getting overwhelmed.

Luckily I don't write for a living.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed.   The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed. Empty

Back to top Go down

The beast living in the mirror/wardrobe/under the bed.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: