Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Recruiting Readers

Go down 
+4
flashgordon
lin
Shelagh
Sue
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptyFri May 16, 2008 11:06 am

Last night I had a phone call from a long-time friend who knew I was writing and publishing a book. However, as some people who know you well, or they think they do, she didn't really realize how professional and business like (and real) this was. So I took her completely by surprise with my book. She has been reading a chapter a night and fell in love with it as many readers have written to tell me they have. She said to me that she just wished it could get read by many more people. Others have told me the same thing: that it is a book that has changed their lives and they feel that more people need to read it.

My question would be how to do this? I guess that is what marketing is all about. I was thinking of marketing on a big time level. I wasn't thinking of it on a small scale.

I had an idea about getting the people who read my books to send me a list of bookstores and libraries in their area. Or even of recruiting them to try to get them in those arenas. I have a friend (the one who makes chocolate chip cookies for my book signings) who carries a complimentary copy wherever she goes so that she can show it to others. She also carries a bunch of brochures and business cards.

I sold quite a few copies to a local library only because the librarian liked it so well that when asked she praised it and they bought the book on her word alone.

I am truly at a loss as to how to proceed. I am not looking for mainstream or big sales. In fact, I am not pushing my book at all, really. It seems that those who read my book, friends and strangers, all seem to think that others should read it. They are pushing it. I am ready to move onto something else. They want the something else for themselves but, they want this book out there for others. So any help here will be appreciated!

Has anyone ever done this? Do you think it would be a good promotional idea for getting the book read? What do you think of giving them something for their time and valuable opinions?

sunny
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:35 pm

"Word of mouth: Albert Greco, professor of media management at Fordham University in New York says that despite the marketing efforts of publishers, nothing continues to sell a book like word-of-mouth recommendations, passed on from one reader to another or one reading group to another."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Absolutely. There's no better way your friends and fans can help you than just going into a bookstore and wondering why they don't have your book there for them to buy.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:31 pm

I had this written and in an open window for a day or two. Just saw it so please forgive the length of time on posting it, Shelagh.

Quite an informative article, Shelagh. Thank you for posting the link. I do believe that word of mouth is quite successful. I also think once I go back to presenting that my book will be sold that way too. I seem to have more patients than my readers though. *grin* They want everyone to read it NOW. *giggle*
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:32 pm

Yep, lin, you are soooo right!!!!
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Also, get your friends that are into the internet to drop Amazon reviews, or bits on the social networks they visit about your book. Word-of-mouth can also work as word-of-internet.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks, Peter. I have given out the link for a review on Amazon.com. People say they will leave a review. Only 3 have out of over 100 that have said they would actually did leave one. Some are friends. Some are acquaintances. I figure I can 'nudge' my friends. What about the acquaintances?

I was also thinking about sending out emails and postcards to those who have purchased the book (that I know of) and ask them for a review also. Just back to that time thing. Doing it all is rewarding yet frustrating sometimes. *smile*
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptyThu May 22, 2008 2:31 pm

My first two books are due to be released later this month ... or at least sometime before 2010 .....

Of course I want my novels to sell, why else bother with having them published right? But I pretty much expected most of it to be word of mouth. I've already had quite a few pre-orders for them.

Word of mouth can be pretty effective. My four book series is YA fantasy and the main target group is young adult girls. Fortunately I have six nieces in this age bracket and all of them are readers. Five of them have read three of the four novels and love it.

All of them have told their friends in school about it. The other great thing is that three of my nieces live in Calfornia, two in Minnesota, and one in Texas. Then I have a nephew who lives in Illinois with his girlfriend, and she is a librarian, and she is ordering several copies for her library.

I also have a sister in law, who LOVES fantasy. She loved my novels and just happens to be the principal of a middle school in Southern Calfornia.

And so on and so on .....

There is this three degrees of separation I would like to make work: I have another sister in law, who has a sister, who knows Chris Gardner (real life character Will Smith portrayed in Pursuit of Happyness), and Chris Gardner was on Oprah ... sooooo, maybe ........

scratch
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptyThu May 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Reminds me of the song about the girl "who danced with a man, who'd danced with a girl, who'd danced with the Prince of Wales."
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptyFri May 23, 2008 9:28 am

Whatever works, work it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptySun May 25, 2008 9:18 am

It's frightening to think that we all know somebody who knows somebody who once slept with somebody who works with the editor of a BIG PUBLSING COMPANY.

The frightening part of that is that there's no trail of breadcrumbs to follow.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptySun May 25, 2008 9:46 am

Gee, I wish I knew somebody who slept with somebody! Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Love your sense of humor, Zada!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers EmptyTue May 27, 2008 3:28 pm

That was a wonderful song, Shelagh. If I'm not mistaken it was the theme for that great British series on Lillie Langtry. It reminds me a little of the story about the man who owned the hatchet George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree, but the blade had been replaced three times and the handle six.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

Recruiting Readers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Readers   Recruiting Readers Empty

Back to top Go down

Recruiting Readers
Page 1 of 1