Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Fiction As Storytelling

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
starrwriter

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Fiction As Storytelling Empty
PostSubject: Fiction As Storytelling   Fiction As Storytelling EmptyThu May 01, 2008 8:57 am

I once experienced one of those "Eureka!" moments on the subject of fiction writing.

I was pondering how much trouble I had writing fiction when I was a young wannabe author. I knew what good fiction was when I read it, but I couldn't seem to translate that knowledge into my own writing.

I think I finally understand why: I got bogged down in so-called rules, formal outlining, trivial details of plot, characterization and description, etc. that had little if anything to do with storytelling. I didn't realize that a fiction writer is primarily a storyteller and this prevented me from creating an interesting tale.

What we call literature evolved from mythologizing in prehistoric cultures. Before written language, people gathered around a fire at night and listened to a shaman spin tales of gods, demons, heroes, villains and human fate. The stories were larger than life, which is why they fascinated. They lifted listeners out of ordinary day-to-day existence if only for a brief time. They helped to make the "short nasty" lives of prehistoric people more tolerable.

But much of modern literature has lost this myth-making quality. Many authors today write more and more about less and less, as if the essence of a story lies in trivial details. The big picture is often missing.

That's why I couldn't write decent stories when I was young. I focused on detail rather than the big picture and I suspect that a lot of new writers do the same thing.

There are only a limited number of great themes in fiction: love, war, adversity, hope, death, fate, etc. Modern authors tend to write about petty issues such as social standing (or its absence), violence, sexual politics and the like. The focus is on small and the end result lacks mythological depth.

My advice to new writers is to aim for the stars and concentrate on the big picture of human life. Be a storyteller in the first draft, then worry about trivial details when you rewrite.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Fiction As Storytelling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiction As Storytelling   Fiction As Storytelling EmptyThu May 01, 2008 10:59 am

Very interesting observations. Perhaps some writers aren't in touch with the prospective mythic element in themes because they've never read any mythology or picked up a book by Joseph Campbell or noted how Star Wars and The Matrix and other popular stories rely so heavily on myth.

Yes, the picture of human life is a good way to describe what's missing, especially as new writers begin trying to get a story down on paper. The last thing they need to be doing at this point is worrying about rules. Waste of time and irrelevant.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com

Fiction As Storytelling
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Writing and Publishing :: Articles-
Jump to: