Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Do you read a good book more than once?

Go down 
+7
LC
mike bryon
alj
lin
Carol Troestler
RetiredName
Abe F. March
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Do you read a good book more than once? Empty
PostSubject: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 am

Can you fully appreciate a good book with just one reading?
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 am

Sure, why not?
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 6:56 am

I do. I remember it, and tell people about it, and sometimes write a review just because I liked it so much. But I don't very often reread whole books.

I'm just anxious to find another.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 7:40 am

Absolutely. I never did when I was younger, but there are now books I've read a half-dozen times.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:33 am

Lin,
when I read a book the second time, I see things I missed the first time. A good book is something to treasure. There are books that one reading was a stretch and there were some I didn't finish.

A book that people enjoy and want to read it more than once, is a great compliment to the author. Dick Stodghill's book is an example of someone we knew who had much to share. I think non-fiction and historical fiction books are worth a second read.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:44 am

I agree on non-fiction and especially history.

In fact, Abe, after talking to the man who wrote the book on the bombing in Beirut, we went back and read parts of your book.

I underline in non-fiction but then I have to keep the books!!!

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:57 am

I love reading my favorite novels over. It takes at least a second reading to just slow down and savor what makes it so readable.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 10:01 am

I have read some books many, many times over. Usually works of reference, philosophy, science, religion or political theory. As an adult I have re-read literature that I read as a child and have been able to recall my childhood impressions through the books.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 10:13 am

Usually not, and in fact, I often get rid of the book when done. Loads of books are just clutter to me.

I do keep reference and how-to books, and a few novels. I keep all my Mario Puzo books, although I'll never re-read them.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 11:35 am

Yes, I do. I will be reading your book again. It was very good
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 12:24 pm

I have read The Day of the Triffids many time and will most likely read it again in the future. It was the book that grabbed my imagination and started me reading. Till then when I was about twelve or thirteen books were a chore that came with school. Since discovering that book words have been like a magic window that lets you see other places, times and worlds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Interesting comments. My wife and I are avid readers. The books in our library show signs of wear simply because they are read more than once.
Books that are of little interest are eventually discarded. Books from authors I met via the forum I hang onto for the sentimental value, and some of those I have read more than once.
There are good authors that have yet to be recognized. A NY Times best-seller does not always mean it is a great book. It often means it had great promotion and timed sales to give it that ranking.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Dear Abe,
I read books more than once. I keep the one's that have touched something in me when I read them. Some are classic stuff that I have almost to memory. Tale of Two Cities, Cry, The Beloved Country, Wind In the Willows, on and on.

The Winds of War trilogy, I have read several time. I read some books because the writer put the words just so. I could feel the writers thoughts. Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Huckleberry Finn.

When I stop to think about the power of these words on my life, I wish I could write just something that was that good and that could be remembered by someone.

Genius stuff.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 3:52 pm

3/21/2010

Yes, many times I re-read books and
have kept them for years. I love books on
gardening, I'm always looking for information.
Many times when I'm in a nursery I'll turn to
someone looking at a plant and give them the
info on it, if I know that plant is poisonous, I'll
tell that person if they have pets or children
don't buy it...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you read a good book more than once?   Do you read a good book more than once? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you read a good book more than once?
Page 1 of 1