Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Comments on Quotations

Go down 
+9
Carol Troestler
RetiredName
Helen Wisocki
thehairymob
mike bryon
Don Stephens
Shelagh
NYT BEST
alj
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Comments on Quotations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 5:30 pm

Carol Troestler wrote:
From Robert Louis Stevenson 1913

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

(Two more verses)

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

How many times in my life have I felt like a shadow? Too many to mention. I'm not sure this fits with the western dragon being my shadow.

Carol

I've always considered the western dragon (particularly a green one), to be my totem animal. Hmmm. Maybe I need to rethink that.

Anyway, here is another one of my favorite quotes. Not about writing, but still pretty cool:

"The fewer men, the greater the share of honour" -- King Henry V
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Carol,
Lynn had "My Shadow" memorized as soon as she could put sentences together. It's certainly an easy concept to embrace.

"The fewer men, the greater the share of honour"
-- King Henry V
Quote :
O, do not wish one more!
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us

A perfect line for this "happy few." Comments on Quotations - Page 2 842802

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Here's one from Stephen King:

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools)
to write. Simple as that."

If you haven't read his memoir/writing how to On Writing, you should. It's awesome.
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Sleep

Last edited by NYT BEST on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 am

I’m reading “CHURCHILL – A life” by Martin Gilbert

A quote by Churchill:
…”that people who think much of the next world rarely prosper in this: that men must use their minds and nations rarely promotes their industry; that, in a phrase, Catholicism – all religion if you like, but particularly Catholicism – is a delicious narcotic. It may soothe our pains and chase our worries, but it checks our growth and saps our strength. And since the improvement of the British breed is my political aim in life, I would not permit too great indulgence if I could prevent it without assailing another great principle – Liberty.”

There are numerous quotes from Churchill that give much insight about the man. His manner of writing would give today’s writing critics a field day.
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 am

Hi Shelegh

A huge thanks for posting the Quine quote. Reading it was a real blast from the past as I have not looked at any of his works for 20 years. I lived and breathed it for a while (but you can have too much of a good thing).

I would love to know how you found it?

BW

Mike
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 5:08 am

Abe wrote:

Quote :
There are numerous quotes from Churchill that give much insight about
the man. His manner of writing would give today’s writing critics a
field day.

I don't think they would bother him too much, Abe:

Quote :
From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with
which I will not put.
Winston Churchill

Ann
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 5:13 am

mike bryon wrote:
Hi Shelegh

A huge thanks for posting the Quine quote. Reading it was a real blast from the past as I have not looked at any of his works for 20 years. I lived and breathed it for a while (but you can have too much of a good thing).

I would love to know how you found it?

BW

Mike
I Google therefore I am. A researcher, that is.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:35 am

Ann, you're right. He was his own.
Having read so much about the "right way" to write, Churchill would have failed. But then we had a Dick Stodghill who was also his own man and admired.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:42 am

This might get me in trouble, but here is my very favorite quote from Walt Whitman:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
(I am large—I contain multitudes.)
Comments on Quotations - Page 2 710456
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 am

That's a good one, Chris. We all contradict ourselves from time to time. I don't think I would be able to make 5,900 posts without contradicting myself!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm tutoring again, but here's one to think about. It speaks to us as writers:

Quote :
Masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.
VIRGINIA WOOLF

Ann
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 pm

alj wrote:
I'm tutoring again, but here's one to think about. It speaks to us as writers:

Quote :
Masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.
VIRGINIA WOOLF

Ann

That reminds of (all things) a quote from Pink Floyd:

"Things you say/the things you/surround me"

I've met writers who say you should never read in your genre while you writing. I can see the angle they coming from but I think that dilutes the influences that make a work what it is. As Michael Chabon says:

"All novels are sequels; influence is bliss."
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Pink Floyd is after my time. I'llcheck with my kids and get back to you.

Ann
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 am

The view from the fence isn't all bad...you can view the green grass and the weeds on both sides.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 6:41 am

Passerby: God has blessed you with a wonderful farm
Farmer: You should have seen it when he had it all to himself.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 8:10 am

Abe, I like that one! I first read it in a magazine article by Audie Murphy called, "You do the Prayin' and I'll do the Shootin'." I think I may have referenced it in my book.

For the past few days, I've been reading a free e-book that I found while I was googling. It's called The Art of Original Thinking: The Making of a Thought Leader. The quotations I've posted on this thread have come from sources used by the author, Jan Phillips. Here are a few of her own words:

Quote :
The wisdom of humanity is dispersed among its members, and the real leaders are those who can evoke that wisdom, summon the members to find their voices, and create a forum for them to be heard.

Thanks to the wisdom of Shelagh, this forum has the capacity to do that. Phillips writes about how no one of us has the whole answer to any question, but we can come closer when we put our ideas together, and how it is not about "or," but "and." I am really enjoying and learning much from this little book.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:02 am

Ann,

I love the quote. I'm going to look for the book.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:59 am

Here is the site, Carol. It is basically written for businesses, and how they can contribute to a sustainable economy and an equalization of opportunity and still maintain a profit, but there is much we can all learn from.

http://www.janphillips.com/downloads/ArtofOriginalThinking.pdf

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 am

Here is another cogent quote from Phillips:
Quote :
Fear is in the air now because each side is building a formidable case for its rightness, and the energy that might be spent on solving the problems is going into proving the other side wrong. The butterfly will never get off the ground if the right wing is at war with the left wing. The answers that we are seeking lie between the right and left and the only way to access them is to move toward the other, to re-pair the opposites. But one look at our culture—from our religions to our media to our politics—reveals a history of opposition, a “divide and conquer” disposition.

She wrote this book in 2006, folks. Talk about being prescient!

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 am

Quote :
The Promised Land is not a place to be conquered by armies and solidified by displacing other people. The Promised Land is a corner in the heart.

Joseph Campbell; Thou Art That

I have this little widget from the Joseph Campbell Foundation at the top of my homepage. Every few hours it posts a new quotation. This one reminds me of why I admire the man so. He has another about the problems that come from literalizing the symbol that fits well with this one.

And another that says that the new mythology needs to serve the world, rather than a single culture.

It seems so important, especially now, for my writing to move in the direction of that new mythology. It seems to me that our work should have a sense of genuine purpose, and be of service to the concerns of people today. I am not writing much right now, other than journal entries that may become blogs once I have a more clear sense of direction. I am mostly reading and exploring. For the moment, I have a bit of a one-track mind. Did you notice?

Anyway, just letting you know why I'm not around as much on some days.

Ann
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:28 am

Poet/critic Louis Untermeyer once said that science fiction is building the new mythology of our times.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:43 am

Lin,

Do you suppose that our cell phones started from the communicators on Star Trek?

Ann
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:37 am

I always thought it was Dick Tracy
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Writing a book is nothing, writing an article ask more talent and before all - more knowledge. I have written lot articles and earning some money with them.
The PA above mentioned - is nod bad way to get a book out to world - I have done it , three times from that publisher. After two years you have liberty edit those old manuscripts and make it better - the PA not pay money more than couple of dollars . never mind - the point is not many -it's the karaoke writing.
I know my skilful and i also know the same thing in six languages.
Cheer
harry
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comments on Quotations   Comments on Quotations - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Comments on Quotations
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next