Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book

Go down 
+2
Pam
KathleenGageSpeaker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KathleenGageSpeaker
One Star Member
One Star Member
KathleenGageSpeaker

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book Empty
PostSubject: Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book   Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Most authors are on the lookout for effective ways to gain visibility for their books and spark the interest of potential readers/buyers. One method that is gaining popularity is for the author to offer a chapter from their book to the reader at no cost. The most effective way to do this is with an instant download from the author’s blog or website.

Although a great way to gain exposure for a book, most authors will not realize much marketing success with this strategy for a couple of reasons.

First, many authors simply give the chapter away without requesting a name and email address in trade for the chapter. Granted, some potential readers may leave the site without getting the chapter, but the ones who do leave their contact information are obviously interested in the author’s work.

Collecting the names and email addresses allows for backend marketing. You can make announcements of book signings, teleseminars, new book releases and special events your are hosting.

Another reason an author may not be optimizing their marketing efforts is that more times than not there is no contact information or a link to a site where the book can be purchased. Part of your job as an author is to make the process of buying your book as effortless as possible for the reader.

To increase your opportunities be sure to have your contact information at the end of the chapter. If people read the entire chapter it means you held their interest.

Additionally, have a direct link to an online location your book is available at. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetsmartsmarketing.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book   Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Great advice Kathleen - I think we are often so excited someone might want to read a piece of what poured out of our hearts, that we forget that the goal is really to sell a gazillion copies.
Market, market, market.
Thanks for the tip! Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book 588578
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book   Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 9:02 am

You bet. In fact some major authors...I think Steven King led the way...offer a big chunk of the book. How many people are going to read a mystery down to the last chapter, then forget about it, for that matter.

This is especially effective, of course, for people with anthologies and collections.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Richard Bowers
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book   Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:27 pm

This is an excellent way to sell books, but I highly recommend there be a "good hook" in the chapter. There's supposed to be one there anyway so make sure by double checking.
Back to top Go down
http://lulu.com
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book   Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 3:07 pm

Good advice. I will follow up on it. I've been making improvements to both blog and website, adding purchase links and I'll find a place for a sample chapter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stephenbrayton.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book   Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm

I have an excerpt on my web site and a preview with scribd. I don't have any way of measuring their impact.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book   Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book Empty

Back to top Go down

Many authors miss a great opportunity for selling their book
Page 1 of 1