Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Acknowledgments

Go down 
+2
Domenic Pappalardo
Abe F. March
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 11:25 pm

On the "Acknowledgments" page of a book by Steve Berry, he writes: "Writers should be careful with the pronoun I. A book is a team effort, and the team I'm privileged to be part of is..."

How many seek advice or input from outside sources when writing? Research is not confined to written documents but may include opinions from knowledgeable people. Do we acknowledge the input we receive?

I've read statements from authors on forums, i.e., "If I write the way they advise, then it is not my work." We are the authors of our work. Whatever we choose to use or include is our choice. To refuse input or help that is not of our own creation is foolish. As Steve Berry says, it is a team effort.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:27 am

We have all posted what we believed is our Greatest Work, only to have our efforts he-hawed. We have rejected comments…feeling it would change our style. Posted work with bad spelling and grammar, only to find the readers have overlooked the story, and laughed at our efforts.

I once read these words…”When posting on a forum, prepare your work as if it was being prepared to be read by a Publisher. If you do that…it will become habit.”

Abe is correct. It is a group effort. All advice is good, even the bad he-haw type…if it makes you want to improve.

Don’t look to others to teach you spelling or grammar…home school yourself.
Don’t look to others to edit your work…learn to do it yourself.
Don’t look to others to re-write…learn to do it yourself.

It is a group effort, but, it is up to you to become the writer you want to be.

Domenic
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:54 am

Domenic,

I have yet to read a comment on the forum -- on any of the message boards -- that was written to poke fun at anyone. You may feel that you are being laughed at, but I can assure you that you are not.

If bad grammar is overlooked and not commented on, it gives the impression that members here are incapable of correcting badly written work.

Also, it takes time to read and critique.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:59 am

Acknowledgments

I wish to thank my friend Janet Peatross, who was the first to encourage me to complete this project; Rita Richardson and Charlotte Gillam for sharing their extensive files on Murphy; Richard Rodgers, webmaster of the Audie L. Murphy Memorial website, for his help and encouragement; Stan Smith, former president of the Audie Murphy Fan Club; everyone connected with the American Cotton Museum in Greenville, Texas, for the work they do each June during Audie Murphy Days there; and especially I would like to thank The Audie Murphy Research Foundation, its president, Terry Murphy (Murphy’s oldest son), and its executive director, Larryann Willis.

(The acknowledgements page from A Myth in Action)

Looking back, I can think of others I should have included, like the citizens of Celeste, Texas, the town where Murphy spent most of his childhood, for sharing stories and even inviting the above mentioned Rita and me into their homes to show us photos, or the individuals at the Greenville conventions who did the same.

I didn't always know their names.

Ann

Last edited by alj on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 am

Oops, As I reread Domenic's post, I realize I should also have thanked all the posters on the Audie Murphy message board as well, for their comments and encouragement.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 10:30 am

Good acknowledgments Ann. I read them when I read your book.

Domenic makes a good point about posts, and I think most of us are guilty especially when responding on the "Quick reply." Even Stodghill made a rare slip, however there were none in his Blogs.

Frequent slips are either carelessness or an indication that the person needs help. Pointing it out may help.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:39 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Frequent slips are either carelessness or an indication that the person needs help. Pointing it out may help.

Pointing out poor spelling and grammar in posts? Wouldn't dream of it. That falls into unsolicited criticism, and we know how well most respond to solicited criticism.

Besides, correcting some posters' stuff would be a full-time job.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 am

Not on this forum. Some of us have fingers that choose letters not chosen by the mind. Therefore, I appreciate the edit button. Unfortunately, some of these posts hit the Internet before I realize I have a typo. I appreciate comments that catch my errors. I recognize my imperfection; but I wish to be perfect :-) I especially appreciate the thoughtful members who send an email to tell me rather than shouting it to the forum...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Since I have arthritis in my hands, there are times that the fingers don't quite reach the keys they are supposed to. I try to catch the typos, but don't always. One of the biggest problems is getting my pinkies, especially the right one, to hold down the shift keys long eonough for me to type the letters. So, on those days when you see sentences that begin in lower case, you know I'm just having a stiff day.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Have one on me, Ann!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Domenic,

I have yet to read a comment on the forum -- on any of the message boards -- that was written to poke fun at anyone. *You may feel that you are being laughed at, but I can assure you that you are not.

If bad grammar is overlooked and not commented on, it gives the impression that members here are incapable of correcting badly written work.

*I don't know where this comes from?
As to not pointing out error...I have seen members SP with poor spelling on page one...! If they had sent the work to an agent, the writer would be a dead duck.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Shelagh wrote:
Domenic,

I have yet to read a comment on the forum -- on any of the message boards -- that was written to poke fun at anyone. *You may feel that you are being laughed at, but I can assure you that you are not.

*I don't know where this comes from?

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
We have all posted what we believed is our Greatest Work, only to have our efforts he-hawed. We have rejected comments…feeling it would change our style. Posted work with bad spelling and grammar, only to find the readers have overlooked the story, and laughed at our efforts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Acknowledgments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acknowledgments   Acknowledgments Empty

Back to top Go down

Acknowledgments
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: