Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

agent dilemna

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
candy ad

agent dilemna Empty
PostSubject: agent dilemna   agent dilemna EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 am

[b] What would YOU do with an agent who tried to get your book to the mainstream publishers ...told you those publishers werent interested becuase you were a small fry and needed to get some recognition first....recognition you are getting...but this same agent hasnt contacted you in five months....doesnt know youve got the book self published and into some major bookstores and currently working with a major newspaper to have some national advertising done..
and is probably just waiting in the wings for you to write and say...hey ive got a contract...would you like to help me sort the details...
in such a case...would you still keep your agent even if it were you who did all the hard work?
would you really still need an agent in this case...and if so...would you go with the one who hadnt shown the least bit interest?
wouldnt you feel abit angry and resentful?
id really love some honest feedback here..
Back to top Go down
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

agent dilemna Empty
PostSubject: Re: agent dilemna   agent dilemna EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 2:21 am

Hi Candy.

I'm currently looking for an agent for my new novel. But I won't take just anyone. They have to be recognised and have a solid background.

It sounds to me that your agents is sitting back and letting you do all the hard work.
I think there is lack of communication between the two of you. You need to talk to the agent, define the lines to what you expect. Tell him how much recognition you have as an author.

I think already having the book self-published may give you problems. Agents and publisher alike, want new material. You could pitch the published book, later, once you have another title published mainstream.

I have two book self-published, although I would love to get my novel re-published through a mainstream publisher, I'm currently submitting a new novel to agents and publishers.

Once I get an agent, I expect a lot of hard work, but still, it's the agents job to find a publisher for your title. If not, you need to rethink.... Maybe the book isn't original, maybe it's because it's already published.

If you have any more books under the table, I think it's time to dust them off.

That's as honest as I can be, Candy.

I wish you the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

agent dilemna Empty
PostSubject: Re: agent dilemna   agent dilemna EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 9:47 am

If that were me Candy I'd think I did not really have an agent in the one you have. Karina is right that it is the agent's job to find the publisher, although no matter what route we choose, we all have to become master marketers in order to promote our stuff, so good for you for moving ahead.

Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

agent dilemna Empty
PostSubject: Re: agent dilemna   agent dilemna EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:30 pm

No agent, at least to my knowledge, wants to wait around while you develop a following. Every one that I've talked to or listened to is interested, or not, in the manuscript you present to them and has one question and one question only: can they sell it?

So it depends on what's on the page, not in who you are--unless you're a known celebrity.

I'd advise you to start sending those pesky queries.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

agent dilemna Empty
PostSubject: Re: agent dilemna   agent dilemna EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 pm

Exactly.

And this. Self-publishing a book is not the way to an agent's heart.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sponsored content

agent dilemna Empty
PostSubject: Re: agent dilemna   agent dilemna Empty

Back to top Go down

agent dilemna
Page 1 of 1