Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Some thoughts on this writing life...

Go down 
+3
Abe F. March
Carol Troestler
madhatter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Some thoughts on this writing life... Empty
PostSubject: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Okay...

So I attended an intensive writers' workshop a couple of weekends back. I did get some great feedback, and I'm working away at a couple of revisions. Not my favorite part of this deal, but necessary.Some thoughts on this writing life... 733985

I listened carefully to the established authors and editors. Seems like dismal times for the publishing industry. A tough time to gain the attention of agents and editors alike. The digital thing. The economy thing. Alas.

What I came away with, besides pointers from my fellow writers, was a good sense of direction. No need to beat myself up right now. This is a time of reflection, creation, and getting ready for the time when the industry opens wide once more. It is a time to go back to the most basic reasons why I write--because I love it and I have some stuff to say.

As I see it, we are in a time of pulling back. Evaluating. Changing.
Not comfortable, but there it is...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Good advice.

Carol Some thoughts on this writing life... 846271
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Rhett,
the cliche, "what goes around comes around" has merit.
In all aspects of life, there are ups and downs. It's a bit like the stock market, riding out the bad times with faith that it will bounce back. With a positive outlook, the bad times can be used constructively, getting ready for the upswing.

You always have a good attitude.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:11 am

We went to Prague in 1985 when it was still under communism. It was gray, drab and there were few people on the streets. When we returned in 1990 the streets were filled with people, many selling crafts at little booths. I said I thought that during the bad years people had been working on their crafts just waiting for the day they could take them to market.

Now I do not mean to compare the present publishing situation to communism at all. It is just that we can never stop being creative even if we can't take our wares to the publishing marketplace.

Luckily we are a democracy encouraging freedom of expression in many ways, so we need to keep writing as Rhett says.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 3:04 am

The publishing industry is, indeed, in a state of flux, Rhett. Harlequin Enterprises have been severely reprimanded by RWA and SWFA over their new business venture. You can read about it here:

http://www.jackiekessler.com/blog/

They are backing off for now to cool things down but it's only on the surface; underneath, Harlequin's PR bosses will be formulating a plan THAT WORKS FOR THEM.

On Jackie Kessler's blog, this raised a smile from me:

"By adding an ad for a vanity press in that rejection letter, the
publisher is encouraging authors to stop seeking publishers that would
pay the authors to publish their books, and to stop working to improve
their writing skills so that they could write an even better next book."

While I agree that writers should work on their writing skills in order to improve, whether the next book is better or not is not the deciding factor when seeking a publisher. Over a year ago, I submitted a manuscript to a UK publisher and received an acceptance letter to pay for part of the publishing process. I had submitted to be published (a service they offered) and not to be self or vanity published. The rejection was just another rejection: no different to any other. I didn't want to use their paid for service and that was that. Why is such a fuss made about this? Others submitting their work might have been delighted with the opportunity to pay to see their work in print. Who am I to judge them if they do?

Last edited by Shelagh on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:08 am

Rhett wrote: "As I see it, we are in a time of pulling back. Evaluating. Changing.
Not comfortable, but there it is..."

That is so true. And it isn't just about writing. What is happening in our industry is happening everywhere. This seems to be a time for all of us, not just writers, to, as Rhett suggests: pull back, evaluate, and change.

That is a positive approach, I think, to our current world situation. Thank's Rhett, for giving us that expression.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 am

There are some good thoughts on this thread. I hope we hear from others.

Carol
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 am

madhatter wrote:
Seems like dismal times for the publishing industry. A tough time to gain the attention of agents and editors alike. The digital thing. The economy thing.

Or the bad writing thing. Rhett, when, exactly was it EASY to get the attention of agents and editors? Did the people at this conference say that it was easier to get published 20 years ago?
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:07 am

Rhett,

Interesting thoughts, apt for winter when nature is going into a holding, sleeping pattern that will last until spring.

I see the truth in it as well as the wisdom. We do need periods of reflexion, time to come to grips with basic goals and motivations.

On the other hand, are unknown and small-press authors getting a different kind of advice than known authors? Blockbuster titles continue to appear. Dan Brown and Audrey Niffenegger and John Grisham and Pat Controy to not appear to be holding back, waiting, re-grouping, though Grisham did say he didn't like the Amazon-Walmart price war.

The trouble with re-grouping is that it implies authors can basically take a vacation and not earn any money for six months or a year until the whole publishing-problems-thing blows over. Sure, there are layoffs all over the place in many industries, but the people who are still working aren't just sitting and meditating. If they're re-grouping, it's proactive rather than a period of quiet waiting while the bills continue coming in.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:34 am

I don't think Rhett said to stop writing, or perfecting.

Pat Conroy did take a hiatus of a number of years.

It was never easy, but famous people seem to be dominating the scene right now. Fans line up by the thousands for books by Sarah Palin, etc. How she could actually sign a thousand books in one sitting amazes me.

Carol
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Maybe you misunderstood, Malcolm. I don't plan to sit back on my hands and dither time. I will continue to write and revise. I wouldn't have attended a workshop if I planned on giving up. No way.

I do not depend on my writing to pay the bills. I work in the health field. If writing was my sole income, I would be slugging harder, I suppose.

Sure, the huge names are still getting their books out there. It is a time when the publishers seem to bank on the sure thing--the folks with enough name recognition (or other claim to fame) to justify the huge cash outlays of book production and marketing.

Again, this is my opinion based on listening to people much more engrained in the field than I am. I could be totally full of it--won't be the first time. Some thoughts on this writing life... Icon_smileSome thoughts on this writing life... Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 pm

Nah, Rhett, I think you're probably right.

Right, Carol, Conroy hasn't done a novel for a while.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on this writing life...   Some thoughts on this writing life... Empty

Back to top Go down

Some thoughts on this writing life...
Page 1 of 1