Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Evolution still Unpublished...

Go down 
+2
kdu
mjgoodnow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mjgoodnow
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
mjgoodnow

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Evolution still Unpublished... Empty
PostSubject: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 6:34 pm

I had backed out of my recent contract offer from a very good publishing company mainly because I didn't understand something. I won't get into it.

I have sent the query to another publisher on Evolution of the Fallen in hopes that this novel will be published. Just hoping and praying...

In this thread are some excerpts that you all might like.

Thanks,

MJ
Back to top Go down
http://regimeguard.net
kdu
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pm

I was going to ask you about this. Write Beware has gotten word that Black Rose Writing has turned into a vanity press. They use some fancy descriptions to disguise this fact ("An investment from the author will show your dedication to promotion...", etc).

I am glad you got out. Black Rose showed some promise. Too bad.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 3:50 am

There were quite a few publishers that I had on my list that had "hidden" "author participation" clauses. Some required the purchase of x number of books. Others required an up front payment that would be paid back through royalties. They looked great at the outset......
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
kdu
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 3:33 pm

It's sad, the way some outfits exploit writers. I remember being excited by first acceptance by a now defunct outfit. They sent me an email that said, "We need you guarantee xxx amount of sales." and I said, "No, thank you."
Back to top Go down
Liam
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Liam

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 7:58 am

Could somebody explain what they mean more concerning the publishers exploiting authors?
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:23 am

DK, you should publish that list here. I'd be happy to spread it around elsewhere.

Liam, that's a deep topic, but a simple version is that writers are seen as cash cows for a lot of shady business that want to get money from the hopes and aspirations

Much of this is in the form of books and seminars and courses that charge for promises that it will make you a star.

Much is in the form of "vanity presses" that charge exorbitant rates to publish books. Many advertise in writers magazines and websites. Thes claims are almost always exaggerated or flat-out fraudulent.

There are often agents or so-called agents that ask for money to represent a book--a practice against the ethics of the AAR and to be avoided without exception. Ditto people who say they will submit for you or who will place your work places where you can get discovered.

Personally, I don't think there is really anything a writer, especially a new writer, needs to spend money on. Anything you can find in a book you can find on the internet, and use forums like this one as a guide. Also, there are books in the library.

But absolutely, definitely, avoid any sort of scheme that wants you to pay to get published or promoted.

Nothing to worry about until you have a book ready to show, but it's well to know that there are a lot of traps for young writers and to get informed before you sign or pay anything.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:33 pm

If an agent wants your book, ask him/her what publishers she/he has worked with...what books she/he has sold, and to who?

Some true agents will want you to pay for copies, and mailing...that is oaky.

When I am ready to submit, I will seek out an agent who works with big publishers. The reason I want a big publisher, they don't rum scams. Well, not all of them...lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evolution still Unpublished...   Evolution still Unpublished... Empty

Back to top Go down

Evolution still Unpublished...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Books-
Jump to: