Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How to Have a Great Signing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cranceredman

cranceredman

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-20

How to Have a Great Signing Empty
PostSubject: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 5:05 pm

Just a few more tips!

How to Have a Great Signing 634186
1) Have an event, not a signing
2)Don't stay seated, engage the customers
3)Make an impression
4)Post flyers before your appearance
5)Arrive early for set-up
6)Enlarge your cover on a poster
7)Collect email addresses in exchange for bookmarks
8)Sign all of the copies before getting started, then personalize them after
9)Consider speaking or having a short presentation
10)Have someone take pictures and then post them to your blog
Back to top Go down
http://www.carlosredman.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Pretty good.
The first one is MAJOR. All these eager authors sitting around wondering why nobody pays them any attention.

You sell more books at readings than signings unless you're too famous to need it.

Number 10 had me scratching my head, but it's probably not a bad idea IF people know their picture might appear on your site.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Not a bad list -- although collecting the emails you have to let them know they are being added to your hit list...I mean hot list of course.
Another tip that I have used -- most signings are all about the author (yawn), make it something interesting about and focussed on your audience. Kick it up a notch!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Quote :
Another tip that I have used -- most signings are all about the author (yawn), make it something interesting about and focussed on your audience. Kick it up a notch!
Any suggestions as to how to do that, Pam?

sunny
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 9:05 pm

I've found that topless car washes draw interest. :-)

People usually hear about these things in the newspaper book section or fliers from the bookstores.

Instead of, Joe Blow signs his new book, "Joe Blow And His Book", they could be reading, Joe Blow presents a reading in support of Hurricane Katrina Aids Dufor Victims. Or three edgy new poets read from their work and answer questions on the stupid tattoos. Or Right vs Left: two authors with opposing viewpoints in their new books square off.

And so forth.

The other solution is to show up with a car full of books where there is already a crowd, preferably one interested in your book. Street fairs, biker rallies, drive-by photo ops.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 9:22 pm

I just love your humor, lin, along with your ideas. Around here there are no street fairs, biker rallies, drive-by photo ops. Especially no topless car washes. I think in a 20 mile radius there isn't even a car wash, never mind the topless. Laughing

sunny
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 7:57 am

Sue, when I do my readings or signings, I try to find out what's the buzz. For example, when I first launched my book I did it at an independent book seller close to home. I had a friend introduce me to the owner, and told her about what I envisioned this event begin (not your average, that was for sure!). I invited everyone I knew (fill it with friends and family) as well as every newspaper, reporter, writing association member, publishing association executives, writer and teacher in the city.

I spoke about the fact that in the previous 5 years, seven publishing houses had packed up and left the province because of steady decreases in funding for arts and culture, and what the impacts of that were. That got them a lot more excited than who I was as a writer and got them thinking about what it would mean not to have books available to people. It was a story much bigger than me, and then I told them about me too, of course, but not in the way I have seen many other writers do.

They clapped and wrote about it in their newspapers and newsletters...and I think that for that one small moment, people were thinking and talking about more than just a book, more certainly than just my book, they were thinking about the value of books in our schools and neighbourhoods, about what those books mean how important it is to make sure that we promote and support arts and culture in any way that we can. Here in my new hometown I am doing the same thing. It's a little daunting, stick you neck out stuff, but it is so fun Sue. And...it sells books.
How to Have a Great Signing Woohoonaner2gy
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 9:02 am

Snagged your nanner, Pam. That is a great marketing strategy, too. I will have to see if I can come up with something along that line. I live so far out that I lose touch with the world, sometimes. In fact, quite often you guys are my world. heart
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Welcome to the nanner Zada! I think that isolation is part of a writer's problem even when you live in a big city. I am enjoying the other benefits of small town life though, and just try to keep up with what's happening as you do - on the net - and through some strategic memberships.
If I can help you work on a marketing strategy, just let me know!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Have a Great Signing   How to Have a Great Signing Empty

Back to top Go down

How to Have a Great Signing
Page 1 of 1