Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!

Go down 
+3
Malcolm
RetiredName
Sue
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! Empty
PostSubject: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:02 am

Anyone here doing this?

It started Sunday and I have written 13,397 words since then. And, they make sense!

I haven't written anything since January except letters and emails. Ideas and words were bumping into each other in my head, but they couldn't find the door out. NaNoWriMo gave them that door.

I found that I needed the discipline to sit down and write no matter what wasn't done or who called. Even hubby doesn't bother me when I write. (That is the only time he doesn't bother me.)

My novel is coming along great and I must say I am pleased with it so far.

If you are interested you can still join.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:10 am

I am doing this as well, my third year. I "won" the first year I did it, the second, eh, not so much.

I am up to 12,310 words.

You are way ahead! That is truly awesome.

I have no idea if my novel is good or not.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:30 am

I corrected some punctuation mistakes last night and saw some inconsistencies in the time-line. That can be taken care of in the edits. Right now I am just focusing on getting the story down. It is really coming easy. So easy, in fact, that I don't want to stop to do anything else. Hubby literally pulled the plug on the computer to get my attention. It is a good thing that I had autosave after 5 mins so I only lost a couple of hundred words or my friends would have had to bail me out of jail for murder.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:36 am

I only correct errors if I notice them while I type. I don't edit until after the first draft anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 1:20 pm

I'm doing it on my Dell because I downloaded a program for novel writing and I love it. yWriter

I have never used anything like this before and it really helps to organize what I am writing.

I am still just letting the creativity flow. The difference is I can
tell whose viewpoint it is and make a notation to refresh my memory on
that particular scene.

I don't have the updated version of the program but I intend to get it
when November's writing is done. I don't know what it would do with
what I have already written.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:09 pm

I use gedit to write. Its a plain text editor but it does the job. You can have multiple tabs open ala firefox, that's where I keep notes, etc.

When I'm done, I'll pretty it up in Adobe FrameMaker.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 8:48 am

You're having fun, Sue, and being creative at the same time. Best of luck with the book.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:51 am

Sue, I love Ywriter, too. It has been especially helpful with the development of Adam. As I get older, it is more difficult to keep everything in my head. Ywriter does that for me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 5:56 pm

What do these programs -ywriter, gedit- do that MS Word doesn't? I've been using ordinary word processing programs for 25 years, first Apple's, then Microsoft's. They do the job. What am I missing?

About NaNoWriMo, no, I don't specifically devote a month to writing, I've been writing about six hours a day for years (three book contracts in five years). I don't get its whole point. Is it just to feel you're part of a larger group?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 6:18 pm

LC, yWriter isn't so much a word processor as it is novel writing software. And it's free.

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

The video on this page is a bit long - over 8 minutes, but it does a good job of showing what it can do. It's basically a way of organizing all your work - a means of getting character sketches and scene descriptions, etc. in one place, as well as an easy way to set up chapters and to work back and forth.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 11:23 pm

I use roughdraft.http://www.richardsalsbury.com/ another free program. It has different modes for scripts stage screen or radio and prose. But I will also try ywriter.

Thanks for the link.

Sue it's nice to see you creative again. NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 8:03 am

Ann, thx for that link, I actually watched the whole video! Looks like a nice piece of software. If I ever give a novel a shot, I'll try it.

On a tangent, I've often wondered about all these software developers who put stuff like this out there for free, and how much paid business it eventually brings them. I'm wondering because in the textbook open source movement, free software is often brought up by those who think texts should be free, too. I never got the analogy and I never got how giving away your product really benefits you.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 8:33 am

I've been on textbook selection committees. I must admit, teachers are driven towards getting freebies. We pay lots of attention to the textbook companies who have packages that include free supplements. I never thought about getting the text itself free, though. That does seem to defeat the purpose.

Ann
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:29 am

Oh yeah, the need to include free supplements with a text is a given. Teachers won't look at a book without them. I always thought it was pure laziness, but now I'm the same way. Oh well.

Prentice Hall is going a step beyond that now. They're setting up Second Life-like sites where you can go in and actually "try out" equipment (e.g., in a MyWeldingLab site). They're doing a companion website for my book, "repurposing" (my editor's words) the book's material for it. Unfortunately, I see nothing in my contract that gives me a cut of this (companion websites always have an access charge). I may pursue that further, but I digress.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 11:24 am

I think money is a big part of the problem. Money and time. Teachers don't have a whole lot of either. Finding ways to put the lessons across to the most students. Part of the job.

Oh, No! I'm thinking in fragments. Am I getting old or what.

Ann
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 11:28 am

Actually, the publishers have taken OVER much of the job with the kinds of supplements teachers demand. Here's what you need to sell a text:

• Sample syllabus
  • Worksheets with solution manual
  • Test bank with 100's of test questions and, of course, solutions.
  • Power points of every chapter, with images and bullet points of chapter material
  • Databank of all images not in the Powerpoint, numbered and referenced by chapter

How lazy can you get?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 11:32 am

Yep, sounds familiar. Just before I retired in 2002, we adopted new Lit/Comp texts that had all that stuff. I got to take advantage for about a year. The really cool thing was that they were actually usable.

Ann
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 11:36 am

What's really ironic is that this same group complains about textbook prices.
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:53 pm

I particpated in NaNo two years. A lot of fun. The most important thing I got from it was the ablility to turn off the internal editor and just get words down. I use the same technique now. It really helped me. Later, I go back and revise.

I'm taking this year off. I just finished a novel and I have a lot of editing to do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 3:30 pm

At this point I am at 33,420 words. I am about four days ahead, if my math is right.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 am

I've passed the 40,000 mark last night. I was forced to take 3 days off, or I would have more words.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:56 am

LC asked:
Quote :
Is it just to feel you're part of a larger group?
Not for me. I find it difficult to snag the time I need to write. With the NaNo group (this is my first year), I actually made time for two reasons: First, it gave me motivation to make sure I sat down and wrote; second, it helped me see that others were in the same boat as me.

I make sure I sit down every night and write for at least two hours. Last night I wrote for five hours. Boy, was I stiff. I don't just crank out words for numbers. My characters aren't messing around. They want their story told.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!   NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again! Empty

Back to top Go down

NaNoWriMO - I'm Writing Again!
Page 1 of 1