Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?

Go down 
+9
Don Stephens
dkchristi
Abe F. March
E. Don Harpe
mjgoodnow
alice
Carol Troestler
alj
joefrank
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? Empty
PostSubject: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 9:20 pm

10/31/2009

Hi Everyone... Very Happy

What is your next book ? I'll go first..

I'm writing my second murder mystery, based on
my character in my up and coming book to be
published I hope by the end of the year , Clara
Layten from : " Clara Layten - The Chelsea Murders."
My next murder mystery takes place in Cape Cod, a
who dun it ....A wealthy woman, a house full of suspects
and a shocker at the end....??????

So what is your next book or story ?

Cheers......Joe... WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 4:59 am

An old character has been popping into my journals lately. His name is Redstone. I wrote a series of short stories, years ago, where I developed the character through several generations. I suppose Carl JUng would say he was something like my animus, the masculine side of my own personality. Jung says the people we fall in love with are people who resonate with our other-sex selves. I mentioned in the introduction to A Myth in Action that the movie personae of Audie Murphy had that resonance. Redstone is something like them, too - not Murphy himself, but the characters he tended to play most often - the masks he would wear onscreen. A quiet, gentleman hero who could be incredibly resolute if pushed to a wall. But even as I play with the character, I am more focused right now on getting Ailcy and her David through the Missouri/Kansas Border Wars. Redstone will have to wait for a while, although Ailcy's daughter Martha Ann will soon be old enough to meet her cowboy, Perry Thorne, whom she will eventually marry. He could be a lot like Redstone, as I think about it.

But a novel about Redstone himself is brewing in the back of my head. It will be a western, set between the 1840's and 1880's, mostly in the mountains of Colorado. Redstone's mother was captured by a group of Cheyenne warriors, and she married one of them. Redstone is their child, who learns as an adolescent that he has a family living in San Francisco, and is introduced to a totally different world as he gets to know them.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 6:00 am

10/31/2009

Ann...

The book sounds very good, I would
finish it and publish it. I find sometimes I do
other things to avoid writing especially when I
can't think...Then all of a sudden I'm thinking of
my next book ! My new murder mysery so far
has 45 pages , I'm hoping to finish it by the end
of the year. Next year I have two more books in
my head and on paper..The brain never stops !...
I would love to do a book on my photography...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 6:07 am

Yes, and Redstone is a completely fictional character, so I can take him wherever I want, so he is a good relief study for now.

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a book on your photography.

Ann
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 6:11 am

10/31/2009

Ann..

If you would like send me your e mail
and I'll send you some flowers and landscapes you
can down load and print for yourself, my gift to you,
here's my e mail.. joefrankbaraba@aol.com

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 am

Thanks, Joe. You will be hearing from me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 6:22 am

I have materials for my next great-grandmother tale and have begun.

With my latest setback, and my newest knowledge, I have given up on activities I'd hoped to participate in someday. But like on Dick's independence thread, I know there is still much I can do. My mind is in tact. My fingers can type.

Recently I sent a story to an anthology but have not heard a definite "yes," and an editor is reading my Cuba manuscript.

However, I have a nagging inspiration to write about my illness, a group of essays on hope, frustration, anger, awareness of small things in life, happiness, achievements and letting go. Something different than has been written. But I also have to deal with my mixture of anger and love for the medical system, which could be part of the manuscript, and actually could be a marketable commodity at this time, whatever is decided in the government. Medical care will always have a human element in the land of the free. There are always individual decisions, working with medical people who have been trained, explaining our ills, fears, needs, knowing when to call, when to go to the ER, being assertive in getting the care we need.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 6:27 am

A children's story book contaiining true stories from my childhood.
Called Living By the Swamp.

My editor has it now.

Great idea, Carol--I saw your post.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 6:45 am

Carol, that sounds like a good idea. You could keep a journal of your experiences, which ought to be a healthy way of dealing with the issues as well as being a preparation for the book.

Alice, I can't wait for that one.
Back to top Go down
mjgoodnow
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
mjgoodnow

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 7:19 am

I am working on a book called: Syn.

The book is about a young Jesuit Priest who is an x-Navy seal named Father Damien Richards, who is helping a young family and there autistic son. The family's son is held captive by a magic cult and Father Damien goes Rambo on them.
Back to top Go down
http://regimeguard.net
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 8:35 am

Great ideas everyone.

Alice, I hope that book is really written. Tell us more. I can't wait to read it.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 8:47 am

Carol,

It is finished. My daughter is editing it. We will look for a publisher.

Stanborough Park Press , UK did her books and they are gorgeously illustrated.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 8:58 am

Way to go Alice!!!

We get so into getting things published, we sometimes forget the reward of having things written!!

WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? 973110 WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? 401565
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 10:52 am

Just completed SUNDOWN TWO - a 2012 action/disaster novel with Phil Whitley. Main characters are
1. Gideon Cross
2. Paris France
3. Marty Bishop
4. Jenna Bishop

Working on - NEON RAINBOW a novel about a fading country music superstar - how he got to the top and how he's headed for the bottom. Main characters are
1. Morgan Nichols
2. Jill Oakland
3. Luke Carter

Working on - TEARS OF GOD a supernatural novel about the crystal tears of God and two angels that are on Earth searching for them. Main characters are
1. Sara Gentry
2. Deacon Kain
3. Caleb Hunter
4. John Winters

Working on - TRIPLE THREAT - a private eye short story blackmail and a double cross. Make that a triple cross. Main characters are
1. Preacher Roe Temple

Working on - THE WAREHOUSE - a short story of another dimension. Main Characters
1. Danny Hood
2. Carol West

Working on - DARKWOLF RISING: Retribution of the Terrible Harpes. The third book in the Harpe series. Main characters are
1. Micajah Harpe
2. Wiley Harpe
3. Bethany Roberts
4. Michael Harpe
5. Daniel Hawk
6. The DARKWOLF
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 11:22 am

Wow Don, you sure are busy. I can't imagine working on more than two books at a time.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 11:23 am

I'm working on The Virgin Odyssey a long-time WIP with an ensemble cast of sailors and their crew mates in the live-aboard sailing community of the high seas; too many characters to list.

I'm working on a sequel to Ghost Orchid that begins with the closing letter from Neev's father and takes the reader through his life, a Viet Nam Vet, a corporate deal maker and a sensitive photographer. It includes life along the Red Sea, Ethiopia, Italy, California and more. It is a book of contrasts, anger and passion, the physical and the emotional, war and peace.

I also have a collection of unpublished short stories that need to go somewhere, a variety from humor to joy, pain to ecstasy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Abe, working on multiple projects keeps me from having any kind of blocks that might stop me from writing. If I get tired of one, I simply open up another, re-read a bit of it, and get back to putting words on paper.

I actually have a couple more on my plate right now that I didn't list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 9:06 pm

Arrow

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Don,
I look forward to reading it.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 1:38 am

I have several story idea's in the creative pipeline.
Currently I am writing my second book ' The Intergalactic Salesman From Alpha Centauri ' for this story I have had to invent a lot of technical background which has been fun.

The story is about what happens when a sales representative from Alpha Centauri delivers a very special prize (won by a special customer in a sales competition) by mistake, to the wrong winner, on the wrong planet, in the wrong part of the Galaxy, The Johnson family on earth who have won a car in a competition on a TV show are expecting a visit concerning their prize. A strange sales representative arrives and their lives are about to change forever.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 2:17 am

Here is an extract from this work in progress.

Chapter 1

It had sort of been expected all week, that knock at the door. Ben Johnson was in a quandary he was not ready, he was still in his pyjamas. It wasn't supposed to happen today, not with dad at work and mum visiting Gran! Ben was not in the mood for handling extra responsibilities. Lately he had been feeling rebellious, he could not explain why, just that he felt that way. This was half term, time off from responsibility and all the fuss. Why can’t he just be left in peace? Still this could be that important visitor, if so he had no choice but to answer the door.
There was a second knock. It filled Ben with excitement and panic simultaneously. This was a firm knock, how one would expect a policeman to knock at the door, loud, hard, with an air of urgent authority about it. This couldn’t be a policeman, the silhouette behind the frosted glass bore no resemblance to one. Remembering what dad had told him to do he found the courage and opened the door.
Standing on the door step was a tall thin pale man. He had the subtle hint of blue in his complexion that made him look as if he was so starved of oxygen that he was ready to drop dead there and then on the doorstep. He wore a silver overall which gave him a frosty look that seemed fitting for this cold frosty February morning. On the step next to his left leg was an equally frosty looking silver briefcase. Holding up a small device that resembled a pocket calculator the man kept prodding the buttons with his finger.
"Squiddle wig," he said as he poked another button.
"Squiddle wig" he repeated. He seemed to be having trouble with the device, his face slowly turning a darker shade of blue as he slapped the side of the device with the palm of his hand.
Ben held out his hands ready to catch him half expecting the man to fall forward gasping his last breath in the hallway. Panic drowned his excitement, his knowledge of first aid was rather skimpy and his experience confined only to the application of the odd sticking plaster. He didn’t know if he was brave enough to give a complete stranger mouth to mouth in his hallway while wearing only his pyjamas. What if he made him worse? Was it really down to him to save this mans life? Surely fourteen year old's aren’t supposed to be given such responsibilities.
The man gurgled and seemed to stop breathing.
Ben watched the mans face anticipating the worst. "Uh are you ok sir? You're not looking too well."
The man breathed out a loud gurgling sigh. "Aaah,"
Ben's heart missed a beat, surely this was it the last breath. "Oh God!"
The man bent forward as if about to crumple to the floor.
"God, no, please don't die on me! No!"
The man stood up straight and smiled, his eyes fixed on Ben.
"Got it. Teran, Teran. You speak Teran," he said.
"Wha - What? Pardon?"
"Greetings winner. My name is Telud Zuraan. I am a sales representative from the great factory. I have come to finalise the details of your new transportation."
That sort of confirmed it, this had to be the expected visitor. The man from the Psion Motor Company, he did after all say: "Greetings winner." Two weeks ago dad had received the letter announcing that he'd won the competition in Top Car magazine a publication from the Top Car TV show. The prize being: The Auto Galactic Ranger two thousand, the most technically advanced production car ever to be made. This prize would be the first one off the production line with the specifications chosen by the winner. Telud must have come to sort out those specifications. Ben decide to invite Telud in and get him to sit down. Perhaps he would start looking better after a cup of tea or something.
"You had better come inside. You look as if you need a sit down."
Telud stepped into the hallway. He looked around as he walked as if to admire the decor. "Interesting you keep it all so low tech," he said. "Very low tech. Still I suppose it is typical Krazenti all so covert, so fashionable." The blue in his face now turning a shade lighter.
Ben ushered him into the front room, pointing to the brown leather settee, he motioned for him to sit down. "Er feel free to lie down if you're still feeling unwell." he said.
Telud sat placing the silver briefcase on his lap, he opened it and put the small device inside then snapped it shut. " Now to business. We have the core specifications but we must finalise the design then we can start production."
"Wouldn't you like a nice cup of tea first? It might help you feel better. Milk and sugar?"
Telud smiled. "How kind that you the winner desire to serve me when I have come to serve you. I am not in any need of sustenance. I feel quite well but thank you all the same."
That was the second time he had called him winner and Ben felt it would be wise to put him straight.
"Actually I'm not the winner," he said nervously. "Well, maybe I am unofficially, it was my idea to enter and my answer that dad used. I was to young, you see, but My dad is the one who entered and won the competition. I've been given instructions to give you any details you require."
"Indeed so to business then. Please give me the final specifications of your vehicle."
He sounded a little persistent so Ben thought it best to oblige.
"Oh dad wants it just like the one in the magazine with all the latest gizmos and stuff."
"Latest gizmos?" Telud sounded puzzled.
"You know the latest advancements in technology."
"Ah latest Technology," he smiled. "Then you shall have all. Yes all the very latest developments."
"The mag is upstairs I'll just go and get it for you."
Ben ran out of the room and went upstairs into his bedroom, picking up the magazine from his bedside cabinet he turned to quickly make his exit and came face to face with Telud in the doorway. The shock made him drop the magazine. He bent down to pick it up.
Telud walked past him and made his way over to the desk top computer which sat on a table next to the window. "Interesting," he said. "Ah, interface, interface. Oh not good, low tech far too low tech." Opening the silver briefcase he took out some strange looking silver tools and started to pull the computer to pieces.
Ben was not amused. "No! What are you doing? Stop you're breaking my computer."
"Upgrade, you must have an upgrade, very essential, very, very necessary." he started pulling gadgets out of his briefcase and putting them into the back of the computer casing."
Ben did not know what to do. He felt powerless to stop the man. He was not going to get physical with him in case he turned dark blue and keeled over. A dead man in his bedroom was not what he needed and certainly not the man who was supposed to be organising dads prize. He held up the magazine holding it open at the centrefold with the picture of the car. “Look this is what we want,” he said in desperation, hoping Telud would stop messing with his computer.
Telud stopped, looked over at the magazine momentarily then turned back and continued to put things into the computer.
Ben had no option but to watch his computer getting trashed.
It wasn't really being trashed though. Telud looked as if he really knew what he was doing and he was working very fast. It only took five minutes or so before the computer had been reassembled then switched on. It started up faster than Ben had ever seen a computer start. Surprising seeing as half its internal contents, circuit boards and other bits and bobs were in a pile on the bedroom floor. Even more surprising was the fact that the computer wasn't even plugged into the mains.
Telud turned round, took the magazine Ben was holding and flipped it open.
Ben pointed to the section with the details of the car.
Telud pulled out the exploded diagram of the car and gasped." Low tech, not good, may I take this?"
Ben nodded. "Please, at least keep the same colour?" he asked.
“We can do better much better. Leave it with me,” Telud smiled. He packed his briefcase then went downstairs and left the house.
Ben looked at his computer. It was whirring away quite happily. Ben started to pick up the bits from the floor. What is dad going to say when he see’s this?

Last edited by dmondeo on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 6:18 am

David,
send that guy to me. I could use an upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 6:21 am

I have not even tried to work on anything for a couple of weeks but seem to have launched a new career called "Singing in the middle of the night." That's just a working title.
Whatever, both Maisie and Jackie were a bit perturbed about 2 a.m. when I begain loudly singing a hit from 1928: "The others you've met may call you Coquette, but I'll always call you Sweetheart."
As I was a mere lad of three in 1928, I'm not sure who I was singing to. Has to be the new medicine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:28 am

Dck,

Dp you sing tenor or bass?
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Dear Dick,
It is funny how music affects the brain. It hides it's melody in some little brain bliip and out of the blue, the mind and tongue give it voice. I have awakened in the night with a song in a dream. Some subliminal music to soothe the savage heart.

I consider that every thing should be set to music. Look what it has done for the ABC's! Why do you think that Opera attracts all those people who do not care if they know the Italian language. Music is powerful medicine. From plant to prisoners, music soothes the mind.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?   WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHAT NEW BOOK OR STORY ARE YOU WORKING ON ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next