Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

CHRISTMAS!

Go down 
+11
KingdomExpansion
builder
Betty Fasig
dmondeo
Abe F. March
dkchristi
P. Gordon Kennedy
Dick Stodghill
Shelagh
joefrank
alice
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 5:37 am

The stores are ready-- how about you?

Do you open your presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning.?

Did you believe in Santa as a child?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 6:30 am

10/21/2009

Alice.. CHRISTMAS! 356119

Yes I believe ! I remember as a young kid getting
up in the middle of the night, sneaking a peek in the living room
looking at the tree, loaded with gifts and I knew Santa was here.
To me Christmas is the most enchanting time of the year, when it
snows , even more so. I love the poem: " It Was The Night Before
Christmas, " By Clement Clark Moore , I have it in book form and
I treasure it. And at times when I shop for gifts for other friends
or family, sometimes I feel like a kid again.. And on Christmas
Eve to hear O' Holy Night by Nat King Cole, brings to heart that
it's our saviors birth. Also I love The Christmas song by Nat King
Cole, what a voice..." MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A
GOOD NIGHT ."

Love Joe.. CHRISTMAS! 845458
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 am

Merry Christmas Alice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jniAG55xGmY
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 6:59 am

10/21/2009

Shelagh..

I love it !
" Merry Christmas "

How did you do that ? It's awesome..

Love Joe
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 7:10 am

On Windows Movie Maker!
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

10/21/2009

Shelagh..

I have it, just waiting for my book cover
for " Visions Of Freedom," Any day now I hope...When it's
done I will post it on u-tube..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 9:16 am

Christmas is my least favorite subject prior to mid-December.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 3:50 pm

Well, by the time I was 5 or 6, I'd pritty much figured out that Santa wasn't real. I did so through the power of logic. How could Santa be at all the stores at once? If he's a rather fat old man, then how does he fit down the narrow chimny of my house? And even if he does get down it, how does he get out? (the chimny in my house goes down to the furnace and there is no fireplace for Santa to emerge from). What happens when Santa dies? These are all questions I asked myself as a little kid that ultimately lead me to the conclusion that Santa did not exist. Today unfortunately, Cristmas has become a celebration of consumerism and greed. The stores start putting out the Cristmas stuff in September (why not July for god sake) and milk it for every last penny they can get. Giving kids tons and tons of presents every Christmas (and for other holidays) only serves to teach them to be even more greedy. It is fairly common for families to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on Christmas, often on charge cards that they take the rest of the year to pay off. Do we really need to buy our family's love; is spending hundreds of dollars on trinkets the only way we can show loved ones we care about them? If so, then something is profoundly wrong. Christmas should be a celebration of family and the birth of Christ (though in all liklihood he was born in April, not December) not a celebration of consumerism and unchecked greed.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Maybe a little of both present giving and sharing love is the right balance, Peter:

The children doubted if they would be able to sleep that night. But Dell and Emmelisa did fall asleep and they both had the same dream. The dream began in pitch black, as a young boy and his young sister were fast asleep on Christmas Eve. Everything was quiet and the sky outside was crystal clear. The black sky slowly revealed a multitude of twinkling stars. Although the light from the stars reduced the darkness, the small community below the starry sky was fast asleep and unaware that the shapes of their homes were slowly becoming more distinct in the starlit sky.

As the night wore on, thick clouds drifted across the sky and the stars disappeared completely, but instead of the total blackness returning, the buildings remained visible under the cloud filled sky because the clouds were full of frozen vapour. It was as though a brilliant white quilt had been pulled across the sky: a whiteness that fought against the darkness and reflected a soft, grey shadowy light onto the sleeping community.

Early Christmas morning, this unusual light that shone through the window had awakened the little girl.

“It’s morning,” she thought as she slid from under the duvet and tiptoed across her room to the window.

She pulled back the curtains and looked out onto a Christmas card scene.
During the night, the clouds had emptied all the frozen vapour that had fallen as soft, white crystals and clothed the earth in a blanket of snow. The thick layers of snow on the rooftops reminded the little girl of sugar frosting on the tops of cakes. The branches of the trees bowed under the weight of the snow and not a blade of grass was visible. The air was still, the sky was dark blue and the earth was white.

The small girl knelt upon the built-in seat under the window and looked out onto the perfect scenery of unmarked snow. She heard the door to her bedroom open gently as her brother entered the room. He didn’t make a sound as he crossed the room and knelt beside his sister.

“Oh!” he exclaimed in a hushed voice. “Look at the snow. It’s beautiful.”

“I thought it was morning,” the girl said.

“It is,” her brother replied, “but it’s very early. Too early to wake Mummy and Daddy.”

“Do you think Father Christmas will have filled our stockings? I can’t see any sleigh marks on the rooftops and there are no footsteps in the snow.”

“It will soon be seven o’clock in the morning. If we go back to bed for a bit longer it will be nearly time to get up.”

“Okay,” the little girl agreed, “but I won’t sleep.”

“Neither will I,” her brother whispered, as he crept back to his bedroom.

Not long after seven o’clock, the two children opened the door to their parents’ bedroom without making a sound.

“Are you awake, Mummy?” the little girl asked.

Her mother opened her eyes and said, “Is it morning already?” as she squinted in the dimly lit bedroom. She looked towards the window and saw light shining through the curtains. She glanced at the bedside clock and thought that it was too early to be light outside on Christmas Day. She wondered if the clock had stopped.

“Come and look through the window,” the little girl invited her mother as her father rolled over in bed and opened his eyes.

“Oh,” he murmured, then closed his eyes again.

“Please, Mummy, come and look,” the little girl repeated.

She slowly got out of bed, as her daughter took her hand and guided her to the window. When the curtains were drawn back, the glistening, brilliant white snow reflected light into the room.

“Oh, a white Christmas!” she exclaimed, with all the joy and wonder of a small child. She bent and lightly kissed the tops of the heads of her two small children.

“Happy Christmas,” she said.

The noise had woken their father, who climbed out of bed and joined his small family, as they gazed out on the snow-capped landscape.

“Happy Christmas,” he said, stifling a yawn as he picked up his daughter.

“Happy Christmas to you.”

“Happy Christmas,” his small son said as he wrapped his arms around his father’s waist and gave him a hug.

“Did you hear Father Christmas?” his daughter asked.

“No, do you think he forgot about you? Or maybe he lost his way in the snow,” he replied as he looked through the window, “I don’t see any sleigh tracks.”

As he spoke, a few lights lit up bedroom windows in neighbouring homes: it was Christmas Day and the community was waking up.

“Can we go downstairs?” the children asked, as their excitement rose.

Their parents had hardly agreed to this request before the children raced each other out of the room.

They stopped running when they reached the landing.

“Quietly,” the small boy suggested, fearful that Father Christmas might still be unloading their presents and they would stumble upon him and frighten him away.

Stealthily, they descended the stairs and crossed the hallway. Through the open living room doorway, they could see the Christmas tree—it was surrounded by presents.

The children were brimming with merriment as they ran back up stairs and whooped to their parents, “Mummy, Daddy, come and look. Father Christmas has left our presents under the tree.”

The two parents had donned their dressing gowns by the time their children re-entered the bedroom. The children were still wearing their pyjamas.

“Put on your dressing gowns,” their mother ordered but the children were too excited, as they ran out of their parents’ bedroom and tumbled down the stairs.

As soon as their parents appeared in the hallway, they called out, “Can we open the presents?”

“After breakfast,” their father replied.

“Now, please. Please…please…please?”

Their parents caved in under the pressure of their exuberant children.

The house was centrally heated but the fireplace still had a working chimney and, every Christmas, a real fire burned brightly in the hearth.

“I’ll light the fire,” the children’s father said, “and then you can open the presents.”

After the fire was lit and gently smouldering, the family were about to gather around the tree.

“Should we take down our stockings, first?” the little girl asked because she’d noticed the two stockings hanging from the mantlepiece as her father dealt with the lighting of the fire. The stockings were no longer long, flat and empty: they were long, fat and full.

The legs of the stockings were bulging with small toys and the feet of the stockings were crammed with tangerines, nuts, sweets, chocolates, dates and crystallised fruit.

The little girl was so pleased with one of her small toys, a baby
doll, that she was in no hurry to open the presents under the Christmas tree.

Her brother was just as fascinated by one of his small presents—a rocket set with its battery-operated launch pad.

“Why don’t we have breakfast before we open the presents under the tree?” their mother asked, and the children agreed as they followed their parents to the kitchen.

During breakfast, the children’s mother suggested a toast, and they all raised their glasses of fruit juice and chorused, “To Father Christmas!”

After breakfast, they returned to the living room, where they were met by a bright, flickering fire that gave the room a warm glow.

The children ran to the tree and picked out the presents they’d wrapped for their parents.

“Open these,” they said, with sparkling eyes.

Their mother carefully removed the sealing tape and smiled in surprise as a beautiful, pale blue lamb’s wool scarf fell from its wrapping.

“Thank you,” she said, “this is gorgeous.”

Their father felt his soft present and said, “Socks! I’ll bet!”

The children giggled, as he pulled out a long, blue woollen scarf.

“It’s perfect,” he said. “Thank you, I’ll wear it today.”

By the time all the presents had been unwrapped, the room looked like a department store during the January sales. The floor was covered with toys, boxes, wrapping paper, ribbon and sticky tape.

The children couldn’t decide what to do next because there were so many toys and games, but their mother insisted on tiding away all the gift wrapping first.

When the room was cleared of all the wrapping paper, the little girl grabbed everyone’s attention,

“Look!” she exclaimed as she pointed under the tree—one small present remained unopened.

“It’s for Cosmos.”

The small gift was for the family cat. He strolled into the room as soon as he heard his name. He spotted the small package and walked around it as though he were stalking a mouse. He sprawled on the carpet and stretched out one of his front legs and softly pawed the small present.

“He’s going to open it!” the little girl squealed, as the family pet flipped the present over and played a game of catch and chase. He released the present, prowled around it, pounced on it, threw it in the air, released it again and then repeated the whole process.

Everyone laughed. They left him playing with the wrapped present, because he seemed to be having so much fun.

“Upstairs,” the children’s mother ordered them to get dressed.
For the rest of the morning, they played together happily with their newly acquired toys while their mother prepared Christmas dinner and their father drove through the snow to collect his parents, who were coming to join in the celebrations.

The wintry roads slowed down the journey and by the time the children’s grandparents finally arrived, the Christmas dinner was ready to be served.

“Happy Christmas, Grandma. Happy Christmas, Granddad,” the two children greeted their grandparents.

“Look what Father Christmas brought,” their small granddaughter said.

“Wash your hands, dinner’s ready,” her mother interrupted. “You can show
Grandma your presents after dinner.”

Christmas dinner was a splendid feast. They had roast turkey with sage and onion stuffing and a smooth, savoury gravy; roast and boiled new potatoes; buttered vegetables: peas, green beans and carrots.

Before pudding, they pulled their Christmas crackers and put on their paper hats. A joke in one of the crackers read: “What do you get when you cross a soldier’s outfit with a number?”

Although the answer was “kitten,” everyone called out “Cosmos” and burst out laughing.

Then they filled themselves with brandy soaked Christmas pudding and white sauce.

The children’s grandparents fell asleep in the fireside chairs after such a sumptuous meal.

“Shall we go outside?” the children’s father asked when all the washing up was finished.

“Yes, please!” the children replied, enthusiastically.

“You’ll need to wrap up warmly,” their mother advised.

The children put on their wellington boots and warm overcoats, wrapped scarves around their necks and wore woollen hats and mittens.

Their father was similarly clad and was proudly wearing his blue, woollen scarf.

Outside, the air was crisp, the sky was blue and the white snow glistened in the winter sunshine. The children danced and kicked the snow on the driveway to their home, as their father collected the children’s toboggan from the garage.

He put the toboggan into the back of the four-by-four, while the children climbed inside.

The journey to the nearest hill with a lengthy slope was short but took longer than usual because of the deep snow covering the uncleared roads.
By the time they arrived at Longside Hill, several families were enjoying themselves pulling sleds up the long slope and then hurtling down the bumpy hillside.

The two children had a great time in the powdery snow that brushed off their clothing easily whenever they fell off their toboggan. They rolled over on the ground that was cushioned by thick layers of soft snow.

They threw lightweight snowballs at each other and laughed and laughed and laughed. They had a wonderful time and they wanted the day to last forever.

However, by mid afternoon the light started to fail and dusk was not far away. The children were in no hurry to leave, but by the time they finally agreed to return home, the temperature was dropping rapidly. The snow was crisper: like a fine, dry powder as the sun started to set and the frosty air chilled the surface of the snow.

They piled into the car and stole one last glance at the frozen snow before they drove off. The setting sun had turned the turquoise sky a brilliant streak of orange, yellow and red on the horizon. The filtered light from the red component of sunlight reflected onto the snow and turned it pink. It was the perfect end to a perfect day.

They arrived home just in time for tea. The children’s mother and grandmother had set the table for afternoon tea. It was laden with turkey sandwiches, trifle, Christmas cake and warm mince pies with a full jug of fresh cream.

After tea, the whole family felt happy and contented. They sat in front of the roaring fire and played one of the board games that Father Christmas had left under the Christmas tree.

When it was time for the children to go to bed, they were almost falling asleep.

By the time their father returned, after driving his parents to their home, the children were already tucked up in bed.

“I’ll check on the children and say goodnight,” he said to his wife as he entered the house.

He quietly climbed the stairs and stepped lightly across the landing. The children were fast asleep. He kissed his small daughter lightly on the cheek as she slumbered without stirring.

As he kissed his son, he awoke for a few seconds and said, “Thanks, Dad, thanks for a brilliant day,” before he fell back into a deep sleep.

His father tiptoed to the doorway and turned towards the sleeping boy. “That’s okay, son,” he whispered, “My son, my son.”

Chapter Sixteen "If Dreams Came True" Mr. Planemaker's Flying Machine ©️ 2005 by Shelagh Watkins.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Shelagh - great YouTube and story! I wonder if Dick could be talked into posting his Christmas story in Germany, the toy for the child built in the basement....

My best Christmas memories are as an adult, two times in Germany. I think the Europeans know how to do Christmas, at least they used to. I also had a pretty special one in New Zealand. Well, a couple special ones in Korea & in the Caribbean.....

If you go to Google Books, input D. K. Christi for Arirang: The Bamboo Connection and search on "Christmas," you will find many Christmas stories I borrowed from my own experiences and gave to my characters in just slightly altered versions, but carrying the same emotion. You can almost accomplish the same at the Amazon.com Search Inside feature for Arirang: The Bamboo Connection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 6:49 am

CHRISTMAS! Lol Wonderful responses--I can see you are in gear--all but Dick. Why am I not surprised?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:00 am

I'm with Dick on this.
The Christmas hype in America begins too early. By the time Christmas arrives it is no big deal.

Christmas in Germany starts in most places about four weeks before Christmas. That's when they begin the (Weihnachtsmarkt) Christmas market, in an open air carnival like (Fest) atmosphere. Lots of eats and drinks. There are rides for the kids with Christmas music being played. Vendors selling tree decorations as well as trees. The majority of vendors display handmade articles. Toys, gloves, handbags, scarves, etc. Many continue to make these items in their booths for the onlooker to see the work/craftmanship involved. The regular stores are decorated and the shopping is brisk since the countdown to Christmas has begun.

Customs, traditions vary from country to country. I think we all enjoy the family traditions and try to pass that on to our children. Trying to compare is not relevant. Whatever makes one happy is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:07 am

I don't know why parents try to enforce belief in Santa and other such fairy tales in children. They are wonderful stories, but they should be recognized as such. I don't get what's so wrong about telling children the truth that these are wonderful stories, but they aren't real. Maybe we could progress as a society more if we raised our children with science rather than superstition. What the children really need is not a mythical being that's constantly watching to see of they're good or bad, sleeping or awake who sneaks into their house at night to deliver packages, but the enlightenment of truth, understanding, and scientific discovery.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:19 am

Every culture has its stories and myths; they appeal to the fanciful side of our nature and to the side that wonders about explanations for the unknown. To me, they are part of the fabric of life. They vary across the globe from terrifying stories and magic to sweet stories and beliefs that give comfort and hope. I think it is in the telling and the explanations that enlightenment occurs.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:21 am

Peter,

My folks were with you.

I told my kids Santa was someone's daddy dressed up.

I still like Santa and love Christmas. I decorate after Thanksgiving.

I think about Christmas all year and often purchase tree decorations as a souvenir when we travel.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 am

Peter over the years I have come to realise that fairy tales are a way of gently easing children into reality weening them if you will into a harsher reality.
As a kid I believed in santa but grew out of it as I got older.
I would not change that experience for anything.

As adults we often believe even more far fetched fairy tales told us by politicians.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 12:46 pm

I like fantasy. I like to read it and to write it. However, I see nothing wrong with having children understand that fantasy is just that, fantasy, not reality. Santa is a wonderful story, but it is a story, not reality. Maybe it was just me, but even when I was a little kid, I was interested in understatanding the world around me and not just blindly believing in superstition. No one told me Santa wasn't real, I reached that conclusion on my own when I was 5 or 6 based on logic. If there is one Santa it should be impossable for him to be at all the stores at once and yet when I was shopping with my parents, that's what I saw, Santa at every store. Furthermore, the chimny in my house goes to the furnace, not a fireplace, so I figured even as a small child, that if Santa somehow managed to get down it, he'd end up in the furnace and how would he get out? There wasn't an opening on the furnace big enough for even a small man to fit through. I think children should be raised to think, observe, and use logic, not to blindly believe stories and superstions.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 1:15 pm

When I was a child, I didn't need to be told about imaginary characters, my over-active imagination conjured up all kinds of menacing fiends. I thought it was just me who leapt three feet across the floor onto my bed so that the foot monster wouldn't gobble up my feet. It was only as an adult that I found out this irrational fear was widespread and commonplace.

Father Christmas and the tooth fairy were not my invention but they were so much more benevolent than the imaginary fiends my mind conjured up. Somehow, my childlike mind accepted that if the good fantasy creations did not exist then maybe the monsters did not exist either. Feeding children's imagination can have a beneficial side effect.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Actually, myths are sometimes based on real circumstances that become mythical and bigger than life with the retelling. It's interesting sometimes to trace mythical stories to their origins.

A cap recently let loose from my tooth, and I jokingly said to my friend on the phone, "maybe the tooth fairy will leave me $25.00." My pragmatic friend said, "Forget the fairy; take it to the gold shop instead. It might be worth more than that."
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Dear Shelagh,
I loved your story of Christmas. I imagine it was just so for you and your brother.

You are right about the foot monster, too. My foot monster had lots of very sharp knives just waiting for someone to get out of bed.

It was not until I was older that I began to believe in Santa.

Like Marie's poem said, it is love that makes Santa real.

I will post here the story of Christmas Under The Old Oak Tree.

Shelagh has taken two and a half months to edit my Wooffer Book. She has done that from her heart. She has made my book Sparkle and Shine. She told me I had 'style' and I was so pleased to hear those words. Thank you Shelagh!

A CHRISTMAS EVE UNDER THE OLD OAK TREE

Marygrey had waited a very long time for the arrival of her babies. But babies cannot be rushed into the world and take their own time in coming. Say what you will, or wish as hard as you want, it will do no good at all, especially rabbit babies. They come when they have a good mind to. Marygrey’s babies had waited until Christmas Eve. Basil, the wild rabbit, was the father-to-be of Marygrey’s babies, and he had been constantly running in and asking were the babies here yet and how much longer was it going to be, until Marygrey said, “Basil, my dearest, Old Agnes is here with me, so you don’t have to worry. When they arrive she will run out right away and tell you they are here. Please go and wait for Santa with the others and when you see him, come and tell me.”

There are certain things that every animal, wild or tame, knows to be true. But the thing they know to be the truest of the true is that Santa Claus comes on Christmas Eve. Yes, Santa brings presents to every animal on earth, just as he brings toys to all the children of the earth. You may wonder how Santa has time in one night to bring all those presents. There are a lot of animals on earth, too. Well, the answer is quite simple. Time Stands Still on Christmas Eve! Not one minute on the clock ticks by, after Santa leaves the North Pole, until all the presents are delivered to every child and every animal everywhere.

So, while Marygrey waited for the arrival of the babies, Basil went to join the other animals who were waiting and watching under the Old Oak Tree for the first glimpse of Santa’s light as he passed overhead. Every animal on the farm was there, except Marygrey and Old Agnes, who was waiting with Marygrey for the babies to come, and Wooffer, who had not come out of the house yet. All of the Thousands, every squirrel for a mile around, the Armadillos, Cho Lee Yen, Camille and all the lizards, the Bully Frogs, The Banana Spiders from the Republic, Reba and Henry — and all the Hoppers and Bugs — and, of course, Larry, Curly, Moe and Margaret the chicken (her eggs had not hatched). They were all there waiting for Santa to go by in his sleigh to deliver presents to everyone and they would be the first to see him, they hoped.

None of the animals had ever seen Santa up close, except Wooffer had seen a picture his mom had shown him in a book called, “The Night Before Christmas.” But every animal had listened to stories their moms and grandmoms had told them when they were very young and each one knew in his heart how Santa looked. He was Beautiful!

Wooffer knew it was about time for Santa to go by, so he asked his mom if he could go wait with the animals to see his light as it went by. She was putting the last decorations on the Christmas tree. “Go on and watch and bark as soon as you see anything and I will come out, too.” she said smiling. So Wooffer went to join the animals under the Old Oak Tree to wait for Santa to go by.

Wooffer went out and said, “Merry Christmas,” to everyone. He had heard the news of Marygrey’s babies coming.

Basil was almost in a trance from the excitement of the babies and waiting for Santa. He kept looking at the sky, muttering, “Oh, My! Oh! … Oh My!”

Wooffer saw Margaret standing by herself, gazing up at the night sky.

Wooffer had not seen Margaret since she was hatching eggs, but he had heard that they had not hatched. He cautiously went up to her. Wooffer never knew if she was going to fly at him feet first or not.

“Hi, Margaret, sorry about the eggs not hatching.’’ he said.

“Me, too. I thought for sure the eggs would hatch this time. But they didn’t. Maybe next time,” Margaret said.

Wooffer said, “I hope so. Have you heard that Marygrey’s babies are coming tonight?”

Margaret stood there and gave Wooffer one eye, then the other, and said. “No, I had not! I must go to her at once! Poor thing!” And off she strutted as fast as she could run, toward the burrow where Marygrey was waiting for the babies.

When Margaret arrived at Marygrey’s burrow, she was met by Old Agnes, Mother of Thousands. “Have they gotten here yet? I do hope I am not too late! Wooffer just now told me that the babies are coming tonight. I do want so much to be here when they come!” squawked Margaret.

“Oh, you are in plenty of time,” answered Old Agnes, who knew more than most when it came to babies.

Margaret was glad and she sat down next to Old Agnes to wait.

Under the Old Oak Tree, the other animals were having a fine time. All the little Thousands were singing, “Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus … right down Santa Claus lane …” Wooffer had climbed up to the second branch in the Old Oak Tree so he would be closer to the sky to watch for Santa’s light and was talking to Mr. A.A. Corn and Sir Doodah. Larry, Curly and Moe were having a contest to see who could make their eyes shine the brightest yellow. Silverthorn was telling rabbit jokes to Basil and the other rabbits. Everyone was having such a good time they had not noticed that the fog was creeping in all around them. In no time, the fog was so thick they could barely see who was standing in front of them. How disappointed they all were! No one could see Santa’s light through all that fog!

Then, the most amazing thing happened! The fog began to curl and furl around their feet. Then it began to swirl and whorl and twirl! … Round and round it went, faster and faster, until the animals began to be quite frightened. They all got close to the ground and put their paws over their eyes. No one had ever seen anything like it!

As the animals sat there with their eyes covered, afraid to move, they heard: “He He He … Ha Ha Ha … Ho Ho Ho.” It was the jolliest laugh they had ever heard. Well, they HAD to look. When they opened their eyes, there in the middle of the yard stood SANTA CLAUS, HIMSELF! The fog was gone.

When Cho Lee opened his eyes, he saw a beautiful white peacock with golden “eyes” in his tail feathers and his topnotch was red and gold. He knew it was Santa because he looked just like Cho Lee had imagined him to be.

Basil and Silverthorn and the other rabbits did not see a peacock at all.

They saw a big white rabbit with golden ears and they knew right away it was Santa because he looked just as they had imagined he would.

When Mr. A.A. Corn and Hoy T. Toity opened their eyes, they saw a fat, red squirrel with white ears and a bushy white tail. Santa was just what the squirrels had known he would be.

All the little Thousands saw a beautiful white mouse — and Wooffer? Wooffer saw a very jolly old man in a bright red suit with big white whiskers and rosy cheeks and twinkling eyes and a big belly that shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.

Oh, there was just one Santa Claus there — but each of the animals saw him a bit differently, which was the really amazing thing!

Santa talked to each one there and called them each by their own name, and wished them all a Merry Christmas. Then, he said, “I usually don’t do this kind of thing, but you all have been so very, very good this year, and I have a very special present to deliver to Margaret. Where is Margaret?” Basil explained about the babies about to come and that Old Agnes and Margaret were with Marygrey waiting for them to arrive.

Santa told Basil to go and fetch Margaret so she could get her special present.

So, Basil was off in a flash to the burrow and, breathlessly, told Margaret to come right away! “Santa wants to see you! He came specially to bring something!”

“What!? Santa is here?! For Me?!” clucked Margaret. Margaret did not run, she FLEW to the Old Oak Tree! Old Agnes went running as fast as she could — she was not going to miss seeing Santa for herself. Basil stayed with Marygrey.

“Ho Ho Ho … Ho Ho Ho!” laughed Santa, as Margaret flew in and landed right in front of him. “Margaret,” said Santa, “I have heard about how your eggs did not hatch again, so I have brought you something that will cheer you up on this wonderful Christmas Eve.” With that, Santa reached way down in his bag and lifted out the most beautiful Rooster that Margaret had ever seen. His name was Reginald. Reginald was very glad to get out of the bag, even if it was Santa’s bag, and he was even more glad when he saw Margaret. He cock-a-doodle-do-ed his most polite “good evening” to Margaret and she Clucked her best “how-do-you-do” to Reginald. It was love at first sight!

Santa called Wooffer to come to him and patted him on the head and said, “Wooffer, you are such a good dog, one of a kind. Would you like to come to the North Pole with me and be one of my elves?”

Wooffer did not have to think about it. He wanted to stay right where he was with his friends and his mom, so he said, “No, thank you, Santa.”

Santa understood. It was the best place in the world for a dog to be. So, Santa leaped back into his sleigh and was off in a twinkle. “Ho Ho Ho!” they all heard him laugh as he disappeared among the stars. This would be a night all of them would remember for a lot of Christmas Eves to come.

Marygrey did not get to see Santa herself, but she got the best present of all that night. When Old Agnes and Margaret had gone to see Santa, the babies started to arrive. There were six baby rabbits in all, three boys and three girls. Now, every Christmas Eve, the six little rabbits and Marygrey beg Basil to tell them the story of, “A Christmas Eve under the Old Oak Tree.”

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Thank you Betty!
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:47 am

I like Christmas, I also like humbugs, I just don't like it rammed in my face too early. They seem to start all the prep far too early these days. You get the Christmas stuff in the stores just after the kids have returned to school after summer break.
That makes the year seem to go by a little too fast for me.

I like a leisurely pace to life, so I can savor each moment.CHRISTMAS! Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 9:13 am

ahh, Christmas the one main world wide annual event for most people. As far as i know, christmas originted from christ. But nations and cultures have accepted it as a annual celebration. Rather boring sometimes on Christmas day when shops are closed and its cold outside. Some people like to go away at Christmas away from home and maybe to avoid family. I am ok with Christmas as long there is good food and something on tv.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 9:39 am

Christmas is much like a giant balloon that gets inflated with months of anticipation and the constant push, push, push of the retailers who start putting out Christmas stuff in September. Then the day comes and there's a few hours of celebration and then all at once the balloon goes flat and people are left with decorations everywhere that need to be put away, a tremendous mound of dishes in the sink, bags of trash from all the boxes and wrapping paper (that by the way they have to pay to get rid of), and enough credit card bills to keep them in debt until the season starts up again next year.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 10:34 am

I can certainly appreciate both sides of this issue.

Many businesses run at a loss all year and depend on Christmas to keep them afloat.

That is why they get in gear so early. CHRISTMAS! 845458
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CHRISTMAS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHRISTMAS!   CHRISTMAS! Empty

Back to top Go down

CHRISTMAS!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next