Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Independent Book Stores

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Independent Book Stores Empty
PostSubject: Independent Book Stores   Independent Book Stores EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 7:51 pm

The Gulf was emerald green as far as the eye could see, only turning a cerulean blue in the deeper water approaching the horizon. Sand bars of powder white sand sparkled in the sun. Highway 30A took me through one imaginative beach town to another until I reached Seaside, the setting for filming The Truman Show, a sort of sci fi with Jim Carrey. I found the show equally imaginative in its fascinating setting.

I enjoyed Water Color and Alys, too, with architecture entirely different from Seaside but recently constructed as little villages to attract those seeking homes by the sea with the ambiance of a small town, even if created. In between were nestled little old beach towns, ancient trees hanging with moss, wooden siding weathered from the sea.

However, I walked around Seaside to enjoy its homes with picket fences, white porches and brightly colored wood siding. I also found the town center, a bit less elaborate than in the film; but one store stood out, Sundog Books.

Sundog books is an independent book store with loads of character located in the central square of the town of Seaside, Florida, my little town of the day for walking. It is a bustling store with a great variety of books and gifts, including music upstairs that includes vinyls. The manager said there are current groups who are recording on vinyl and record collections are quite the "in" thing.

She also bought the recently released Romance of My Dreams from me. I had just received my author's package from my publisher that was still in my trunk. She'll order more as she needs them for her "local author's table." She encouraged me to contact her when Ghost Orchid is released soon to set up a book signing. She was absolutely gracious, and the store was candy for the book lover, an accidental find.

So, if you happen to wander along the Emerald Coast on Highway 30A just east of Destin and west of Panama City, please stop in and support this exceptional, independent book store. The independents support us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Independent Book Stores   Independent Book Stores EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 10:18 pm

DK,
you described it very well. And, a store like this is a rare find.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Independent Book Stores   Independent Book Stores EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 6:09 am

Sounds like a nice place but it will take more than a bookstore to lure me south of the Ohio River.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Independent Book Stores   Independent Book Stores EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 7:18 am

That section of Florida is beautiful; of course, it was the perfect day also. I worked near Tallahassee, but I always went to the "coast" where the Gulf doesn't have those powder sand beaches. I was surprised at the exquisite green sea, similar to the Bahamas.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Independent Book Stores   Independent Book Stores EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 am

I grew up in Tallahassee, and the edge of my usual world was Clarabelle, Sumatra, Dog Island, St. George Island and Tate's Hell Swamp. But when there was time we went on to the blinding white beaches of Panama City and points west. Most, if not all, of the bookstores I knew as a young man have been replaced by chains. It's nice to hear there are still some local nooks and crannies left where books come alive.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Independent Book Stores   Independent Book Stores EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:27 am

Sundog Books is a true, exciting bookstore with an enthusiastic manager. I hope everyone who ventures to the Emerald Coast and the Panhandle gets a chance to stop in. It's an easy exit to 30A from 98 and then back with such a charming drive along those created seaside towns among the older, original beach hamlets.

If authors would encourage their following to shop at independents and if authors also frequented them, maybe we could help a few stay alive. This one seems to be thriving. I saw another in Panama City that was struggling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Independent Book Stores   Independent Book Stores Empty

Back to top Go down

Independent Book Stores
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: