Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Not Ignoring You

Go down 
+2
Shelagh
Don Stephens
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:46 am

Hey folks, I haven’t been ignoring you, been a little preoccupied.

On the 4th of February my wife had hip replacement surgery. Everything was great, surgery took less than an hour, and she was up and walking with a walker the same day. Surgeon was ready to send her home after 3 days. Then they found a kidney problem, but that fixed itself after another day. After going home things were going smooth, she could get herself up and down from bed and a chair to get around.

On the 26th it all went in the toilet. She was walking down the hall and heard two loud cracks and felt an intense pain and went down. I called 911. To make a long story short…the bone around the implant had fractured. She underwent four hours of surgery to repair the fracture and replace the implant with a longer one. She was in the hospital for eleven days, they kept her so pumped full of pain meds she is just now coming off withdrawal. She has yet to walk because of the meds having her head screwed up. Consequently I’ve had to take a leave from work and been a 24/7 caregiver. My time online has been limited to when she is sleeping, which up until a day or so ago has not been more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. She goes back to the doctor tomorrow, we’re hoping the meds are out of her system and they can finally begin therapy.

If you have a minute, please keep her in your prayers
Don

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 am

Oh Don, thanks for taking the time to explain about your wife. She certainly will be in my prayers.

The very first hip operation was performed in the place I grew up as a child. Sir John Charnley performed the first hip replacement operation ever to be performed in the world. This operation is now performed routinely all over the world and is usually extremely successful. Unfortunately, it sounds as though a small crack in the femur wasn't detected during the operation and that led to a much more serious fracture. Apparently, this can happen in 4% of patients. How rotten that your wife had to be one of such a small group.

Please give her my love heart and my very best wishes for a successful outcome second time around. heart

Love to you too for being so patient and loyal. heart

~Shelagh
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Wow Don, what a time for both you and your wife. Let her know that she is in my prayers too, and so are you. Here's to succesful healing from here on, and that things are soon back on track.
Not Ignoring You Bighug
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 5:07 am

Don, my best to you and your wife. I certainly hope she begins to improve very soon, and we will keep her in our prayers.

Harpe
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers…they worked!!!!
Yesterday Lynn said, “I want to try to get up.” And she did! Walked around for awhile with the walker and moved to a chair. Spent some time on her computer and walked a little more. Today we went to the doctors and she got in and out of the chair on her own, climbed up on and off the ex-ray table. Doc says everything looks great. Now that all the drugs are out of her system she has a whole new positive outlook.
Again thanks…I can’t believe the change in two days!!!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 1:05 am

Great news Don! Have a wonderful Easter weekend. Best wishes to both of you and a special word of encouragement to Lynn -- take it easy!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 2:15 am

Don,
Just saw your post. The problems associated with operations are never easy to deal with and age can be a factor as well.
I'm sure you know that you have many friends pulling for you and your wife. The healing process is a team effort. Feeling someone else's pain is real when people are close and therefore both suffer. Success, even small or slow, is a cause for celebration.
Keep us posted.

Abe
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 am

Great news Don! Hope that you and Lynn are able to enjoy the Easter weekend with less worry, and that her improvement truly continues.
Pam
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi Folks,

It was another great day. Lynn woke this morning and asked me to call Diane(her hairdresser) and see if she still had her standing monthly appointment open. I borrowed a ramp van from my old company(built custom vans for the handicapped) and we took her to get her hair done. We're on our way to recovery.

Everyone PLEASE have a GREAT EASTER
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 8:12 am

I have been absent for a while, Don, but my prayers for continued improvement are forthcoming. Embarassed

You men are amazing when it comes to being caregivers. I learned that firsthand when I fractured my ankle and was bed ridden for several months. I am sure your wife would agree with me. cheers

May your Easter be grand, and I hope everyone here has a good one as well. flower sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

Not Ignoring You Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Ignoring You   Not Ignoring You Empty

Back to top Go down

Not Ignoring You
Page 1 of 1