Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue

Go down 
+7
dkchristi
alj
Carol Troestler
harry
Malcolm
Betty Fasig
Dick Stodghill
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue Empty
PostSubject: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:52 pm

This is the prologue to a collection of short stories called Deathtown.
In Deathtown and other stories set in pre- and post-World War II America the protagonists lived and worked on what Raymond Chandler called the Mean Streets. Pawnshops and poolrooms, dark, smoked-filled bars where men drank alone or talked union politics and sometimes fought with their fists, hole-in-the-wall lunchrooms where the smell of grease permeated the air, Chinese laundries, cigar stores with card games in the back room, second-floor hotels where rooms were rented by the hour, gloomy theaters featuring B-grade movies, cut-rate jewelry and clothing stores, those were the streets where Sam Spade and Phillip Marlowe rubbed elbows with hookers plying their trade and drug pushers supplying the addicts.
You wouldn’t find Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple on those streets. This was not the world of quaint villages or weekend gathering at country estates. Gritty sidewalks and unwashed show windows were the norm, but despite it all there was a feeling that “this is where it’s at.” This was the real world and it was a better one than people at those estates and cozy villages ever imagined. For the most part the inhabitants were decent people but tough, hardened by the world in which they lived. A pretty good world in many ways, but only a memory since the coming of the sterile shopping malls and big box stores. In the 21st century most of those former mean streets are dreary and desolate, abandoned forever to the predators that thrive among the boarded-up storefronts and trash filled alleys.
In the 1930s I grew up and spent my formative years on streets like those Chandler and Hammett wrote about. East Market Street, Case Avenue, South Arlington were in Akron, not Los Angeles or San Francisco. Along with all the cheap and shady enterprises found on mean streets everywhere were the rubber factories – Goodyear, Mohawk, General Tire. The neighborhood was dominated by the three tall stacks and the clock tower at Goodyear Plant 1 and shot-and-a-beer taverns where men who built tires, worked in the vulcanizing pit and ran Banbury mixers fortified themselves before starting another shift and then again to rejoice when it ended.
For weeks a dead dog lay at the foot of an outside staircase beside a building where used pulp magazines were sold for two cents; a penny if you turned in a Black Mask, Dime Detective or G-8 and His Battle Aces after reading it. Prostitutes strolled outside the store and on a side street trains carried raw material into and tires out of the Mohawk plant.
In eighth grade I was a schoolboy patrolman at that intersection. The first day two boys shoved me aside and ran across the street. The captain who was teaching me the ropes yelled, “Catch those guys!” I did, and learned that it isn’t smart to catch up with two guys in a dark alley. One day a first-grade girl with the face of an angel pushed me in front of a train headed for Mohawk. There was barely time to leap to the other side of the track. After the freight passed the girl gave me a sweet smile.
Half the kids in my class of forty-four lived at the Children’s Home. One day they took a poll and the fathers of three kids living in private homes had a job. Mine was between jobs, as he put it.
In May of 1938 the workers at Goodyear were upset because men were being laid off without regard to seniority and the company was the only one that held out against recognizing the union, the United Rubber Workers. A little after 10 o’clock one night I walked with my buddy Hawkeye along East Market Street in front of the plant and Goodyear World Headquarters. The street, the only one running from one end of Akron to the other, was blocked by men carrying ball bats and tire chains. We weaved our way among them and continued home. An hour later the plant police and Akron police came charging out swinging batons. Shots were fired, the battle was underway.
My dog Casey came in and rested his chin on my bed, tears streaming down his face. And mine, because in the morning I could see round black marks where tear gas shells had hit the house. As I walked to school, blood was standing in the gutters and windows were smashed all along the street. A machine gun pointed down from the clock tower, another was set up on the steps at Goodyear State bank. Women leaving the Rialto Theater on Goodyear Boulevard had been attacked and beaten by police. Looking down from the small bridge over the Little Cuyahoga River you could see a cop’s motorcycle lying in the water. Tombstones were overturned in East Akron Cemetery.
I gathered up tear gas shells, put them in a cigar box, and played the big shot by letting girls who lived away from the action take a sniff and squeal. I was king for a day.
I took some beatings on those mean streets. I smiled back when the hookers smiled at me. I watched furtive men and women sneak into the Dollar Hotel and come out again a short time later. I raided my dad’s sample case when he got a job selling Trojans and set up a thriving business selling condoms to kids at half price. I read several of those pulp magazines every week and went through every mystery and a lot of other books at the East Akron branch library.
It was one hell of a good life and I wouldn’t have traded it for one in any pleasant suburb or small town. On those mean streets I received an education unavailable anywhere else. I learned about life.
I consider myself a pulp writer. It’s the world I know, the world I grew up in. I wouldn’t want it any other way. I was lucky and I know it.

Last edited by Dick Stodghill on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Dear Dick,
You are a master of recall. I did not grow up in Ohio, but little towns that had that kind of look and kind of people.

I remember a sidewalk that I walked down, weeds deeply embedded in the cracks of the concrete, the sides littered with debris and bigger weeds. A trail that went on out of the railroad tracks into the south side of town. I can smell that ragweed this minute!

I came to a corner where the pawn shop set. As I look back now, it was a seedy kind of side of the town, nothing but closed down and boarded up buildings. Gazing in that window where the jewels were displayed was something that has altered my dreams to this day.

In a way, it was like looking into the other side. All that pretty stuff that I could not have.

Looking at that memory out of my eyes this day, I understand about the need for simple beauty in a person's life. That and the need for peace.

I have found all those jewels and more in my woods and I know that you have found it looking out and past the pain of war.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 7:44 pm

I enjoyed reading this post a lot, Dick. I liked the slant and the detail. You went to school in the college of the world as it is, and in many ways, there's nothing better.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 4:38 am

Good story Dick, Goon indeed and well told,
I as a yesterday’s man too, like very
much that kind of stories , It ha had been livelry street to grown up,
Unfortunally we have nothing like that anymore in our time, the whole world is sterilised
and cleared away, there is no more ugly, nor bat no good either. I miss
those days when there were still something to be find and the setting was more interesting,
- If possible I am at once ready to move
back to fifties, This is the most boring era of the historian of mankind we live to day.

Those old good days.
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:03 am

I grew up in a pleasant burb. It was too nice and after high school most went to live somewhere else. However, a woman down the street had an affair with a minister, another committed suicide, another drowned her children in the bathtub. Perhaps the "niceness" was only on the surface, which it very often is in those unreal places, places like new shopping malls and developments.

I live in a small town. Having had a mental health center here, I know the realities of the seedy stuff and also know kindness and down to earth living. When we moved there in 1975, most of the people had multiple generations of ancestors who had grown up there, you never talked about someone badly because you could be talking to their cousin, and many hadn't crossed the bridge over the river out of town and had no desire to do so.

And like Betty, there are those places that nurture our souls. Yesterday I spent two hours fishing with only nibbles and weeds on my hook, but looking out at a scene that could have been from a Northwoods calendar page. Life just doesn't get any better than the places we find, when those we've lived are lacking in many ways.

I do not remember my "nice" town where I grew up with the fondness you do yours, Dick. And it is not because of lack of appreciation. I do remember the people, but the town was like that in the movie where it is in black and white in the beginning, until the realities creep in and color takes over.

Life and places are like that. We need the color.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 6:11 am

That is beautifully written, Dick. The reality of the experience comes through in every word, and the cadence of the words fits the experience and carries us right into the scenes you've described.

Everybody here has shared something from their childhoods, each different from the other, but each having a sense of nostalgia for something harder to find today. Life was simpler, life was real, and we had more freedom. My brother and I walked every Saturday from our home into the downtown part of the little city to the only movie theater to see the matinee. The doors to our house were never locked, and in summertime we roamed the neighborhood. Our parents had a vague idea of where we were, but were not concerned because they knew we would make it home by dinnertime. Sometimes we rode in the back of open pick-up trucks with wind blowing our hair in every direction. WE played "cops and robbers" and "cowboys and indians." We pulled crawfish out of their holes with long strings, pricked our imagination playing with dolls on pallets spread under the shade of the oak trees, and stayed cool running through water sprinklers and the spray of hoses.

I hear a strain of simplicity and freedom weaving its way into each of these reflections, whatever the setting, whatever the circumstances.. We are all different. We are all one.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:19 pm

I saw "prologue." Is it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:45 pm

He said prologue for sure, DK, and I'm glad because I want to read more! That is a mini-short story in itself.

I think I may have even visited some "smoked fill bars" in my time! LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Dear Phil,
I remember those bars, smoke and loud, loud rock. Drugs, fights, a couple of murders over wives. Lots of pool.

There is a place in Gibsonton, Florida which is probably one of the seediest bars going, unless you could remember the County Line Bar, that connected Hillsborough and Polk county on Hwy 60. The former is called Dirty Dan's Three Corner Bar. You could breathe in and get drunk from all the booze spilt on the wooden floors.

I worked in a few of them when the drinking age in Florida was 18. 25 cent beer on Tuesday.

Every high school kid that could get out and drive a car was there. Rich people's kids. Not one idea of responsibilty, mamma and daddy took care of everything.

Lots and lots of puking.

Lots and lots of dying.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 5:17 am

Enjoyed it Dick. No one can take away our memories. We can share them, but no one else can claim them.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 am

Thanks for all the kind comments. Strange as it may seem, I was shocked to see this here because what I was doing was trying to copy and paste this somewhere so I get it onto my website. For some reason the site wouldn't accept it. Out of habit I must have hit "send" without realizing it.
Deathtown is a short story that will be in the November issue of Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine (available in early September). I was just fooling around and have no idea why I added "prologue" to the title although this will eventually be the lead-in to a collection of short stories.
Confused? So am I.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 6:54 am

I did the opposite, Dick. I posted a comment late last night (UK time) and was surprised to find it gone this morning. Of course, it was on another thread. Still. it's good to know that I'm not the only one who is confused. Great prologue/lead-in by the way.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 8:11 am

That prologue leads me to want more than a short story, but rather a novel that details all the pieces that are dropped as hints about what follows................
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 pm

It's all a matter of likes and dislikes, DK. I much prefer short stories. I start reading a lot of novels but nine times out of ten quit reading after twenty pages or so. I do enjoy the nevels of P.D. James, Bill James, Peter Robinson and Stuart Kaminsky's about a Moscow detective. I also like novels written by a lot of dead guys.
A lot of the short stories and novellas I write tell a complete story. The series I've been writing since 1988 can be read like a novel if anyone wants to bother. Writing lengthy non-fiction doesn't bother me, lengthy fiction does. Just a case of preference, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Dick, I may have been too subtle when I said, "I think I may have even visited some "smoked fill bars" in my time! LOL."

I'm sure you meant "smoke-filled bars"... or did you? Thinking about it, it really is a good play on words the way you wrote it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 4:21 am

"The doors to our house were never locked, and in summertime we
roamed the neighborhood. Our parents had a vague idea of where we were, but
were not concerned because they knew we would make it home by dinnertime.
Sometimes we rode in the back of open pick-up trucks with wind blowing"

Precisely Ann, Itseems been very similar everywhere in western world. I well remember the time after the II War when there were lot of young men roaming and walking on roads looking for some work and job. That time the main employers in summertime were the farms and the forest in winter. They were men, as tramps, jacks of all trades and they all came from the war where, many of them had spent his best youth. They were unemployment and homeless and many of them still wore they worn out military jackets since they not have any other clothes of
their own, so the government allowed them keep the clothes they had on.
Even there was so muchthat sort of men roaming on the road the doors of house in villages and rural area
were left open.
Many men find his onenight abode is some sauna and I re member once when I woke up in a night and
hear as somebody was speaking in the darkness and when mom lit the oil lamp
there was seen a strange man sitting in our room speaking by himself?

Nothing like that never happen to day, and as far I could member
there was deep solidarities among those which must be raised from the circulations
of the war time. They never kiked a man once fallen in fight. That cannot say to the youht of our days.
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 5:18 am

True, Harry, and that's unfortunate. Bad times often bring out the best in people.

Brew, you caught me on that one. I agree, though, that you may have understated the number of times you visited smoke-filled bars. Assuming you were like me, of course.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 5:36 am

Luckily you guys didn't have asthma. I went to those smoke-filled bars to listen to a man my age play harmonica, and two younger men play drums, until my lung capacity dropped to fifty percent.

I really loved listening to that music. Smoke-filled bars seemed to be the only option for music many years ago. And now those bands are hard to find at all.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
soneryd

soneryd

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 am

Oh, I love reading about this particular timeperiod in USA, like my my favourite Steinbecks Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday.

This give's the same kind of joy. Great work. I'd love to read more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue   Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue Empty

Back to top Go down

Growing Up On Mean Streets - a Prologue
Page 1 of 1