Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A Stubborn Little Boy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

A Stubborn Little Boy Empty
PostSubject: A Stubborn Little Boy   A Stubborn Little Boy EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 pm

A Stodghill Says So blog:

A Stubborn Little Boy Jack+the+Tripper+cover On the off chance that someone might be interested in reading the latest Jack Eddy story, Jack the Tripper can be found in the June issue of the magazine pictured at left.
It is a story featuring two not-very-nice men. One is a bully of the worst sort, the other is an unscrupulous con man.
A boyhood escapade of the con man is based on a true story involving a close relative of my grandfather, J.T. Lynch. In his own way, J.T. was a bit of a bully. As he was an insurance salesman, probably somewhat of a con man as well.
Whatever, when his relative was a boy of 12 he wanted to wear his good suit to a circus that had come to town. Not only was this an unusual request, it was outrageous. Or so believed his parents.
As might be expected, the request was denied. The angry boy said, "If I can't wear my good suit, you'll never see me again."
No one took this seriously. Who would? But the lad was true to his word, they never saw him again. They searched, but to no avail.
For the next sixty or so years, family members kept hoping he would show up. Not because they missed him. Most had never even seen the kid. The vain hope was based on only one thing, that over the years he had become a fabulously wealthy man. Naturally he would be eager to share his riches with the family he had deserted. There would be enough, of course, to share with all the cousins, aunts, uncles and their numerous descendants.
As more than a hundred years have gone by since his trip to the circus in old clothes, I have all but given up hope of this happening.
Anyway, that played a very small role in Jack the Tripper. You might say I just threw it in to show this guy was an unusual character. From the way he behaves in the story there is little reason to believe he was the sort of man willing to share his ill-gotten gains with anyone, least of all his relatives. You might say that making him a dirty rat was a display of my contempt for the real man and his refusal to come back with his pockets loaded.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A Stubborn Little Boy   A Stubborn Little Boy EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Maybe he died, Dick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: A Stubborn Little Boy   A Stubborn Little Boy EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Or maybe he conned the wrong person? One with an itch to get even?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A Stubborn Little Boy   A Stubborn Little Boy EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 6:13 pm

This reminds me of when the kds were teens. One night our son was late coming home.
I started to worry, then the phone rang. It was the father of one of the kids out with our son--our son was driving.

The conversation went like this:

"Where are the kids?"

"I don't know."

"You mean they have not called?"

"I have not heard from them."

You just wait until I get ahold of....He will never, ever do this again."

I am thinking what if they are in a wreck--what if they are dead--how will he kill a dead person?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A Stubborn Little Boy   A Stubborn Little Boy EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 10:39 pm

I think the kid did his thing and then wrote a book. Now he's trying to get published.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A Stubborn Little Boy   A Stubborn Little Boy EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 7:13 am

Right, Abe. I like that idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Stubborn Little Boy   A Stubborn Little Boy Empty

Back to top Go down

A Stubborn Little Boy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-
Jump to: