Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Hygene Class

Go down 
+5
Abe F. March
E. Don Harpe
Carol Troestler
alice
Betty Fasig
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Back when I was in 4th grade, one of the hours of the day was spent on Hygene. In those days a lot of people did not have hot water or running water or soap or shampoo and the family bath was once a week or maybe once a month.

I remember that class because I wanted to be beautiful.

There was instruction on bathing and brushing teeth, combing hair and how to clean your fingernails. The pictures in the book were so nice. Not in color, but enough for me to dream of being clean.

Later-

I longed for Halo shampoo and a Toni perm. Not any of that would be happening for me and lye soap was as close as I came to shampoo or bath soap and that was once a month. I remember that caustic smell. You know that you can still buy Castille soap. Why you would ever want to is beyond my mind.

Now, there are no classes in hygene. I have been around people who think that deodorant will harm their body and they are better off smelling like a dead onion. I consider that their job opportunities are nil and they are better off living with their old family who instilled that nonsense in their brains...forever. For some reason these same people consider that bathing is not required very often. I wonder that they can breathe the air around themselves. I think as unbathed as I ever was, I never smelled like an onion that had been out in the sun and damp too long.

Some creature has been caught in our drain pipe and has died and been stinking like death for two weeks. David tried to clear the pipe, but the creature is stuck. Even that stink cannot equal an unbathed 18 year old boy who does not believe in deodorant.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Betty,

You are too funny and of course correct as well.
Gotta love ya,

Alice
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 7:07 pm

One of the weird subject girls had to take at our college was health. It was not required for the boys. It was about hygiene, pregnancy, etc. I have often wondered why the boys didn't have to take this class. It seems it was needed more by them than us beautiful girls who knew about hygiene and health by then.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 7:41 pm

When we were kids in Tennessee, we took a bath every Saturday, whether we needed it or not.

Still do.

At least most weeks.

Not so much in cold weather, or since I got old enough that I gave up sweating. In fact, I was raised by very strict parents, and was 22 years old before I was allowed to perspire.

I do try to drink as much after shave lotion as I can every day, just on the off chance that I will start sweating again. Next time around, the deodorant will come from the inside.

Last edited by E. Don Harpe on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Funny Don,
Saturday was the day for our weekly bath in a large galvanized tub, using homemade soap. During the week we washed our face and any other part that needed attention using a washbasin and washcloth. As a kid I thought the Saturday bath was required before going to church on Sunday morning. Cleanliness was considered next to Godliness. We dressed in clothes reserved only for Sunday use.

Living on a farm, cleaning out the stables, etc., meant that certain odors remained in the clothes. Mom washed our clothes weekly. Clothing for school were used only for school and those for the barn were kept separate. We had no holes in our trousers. They may have been patched but they were clean. She had a program to keep us in clean clothes and made sure we had washed-up, giving us an inspection before leaving for school in the morning. The Sunday morning inspection was more thorough. Hair wet, parted on the side, the seams in our trousers straight and wrinkle free and the Sunday-only shoes shined. She checked behind the ears, even gave us a good sniffing to make sure there was no barn smell. Yes, hygiene was there, although in a crude way compared to today. Hand-me-down clothes were the norm. The oldest always got the new clothes. I was critical of how my older brother took care of the clothes I would inherit and wanted them in good condition.
One may be poor but there's no excuse for being dirty. Clothes may show wear but can be repaired, and above all, clean.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 7:23 am

In this excerpt from Audie Murphy’s, To Hell and Back, the author was talking to a nurse at a field hospital on Anzio:

Quote :
Her skillful fingers pry into the muscles of my back, causing shivers to prowl up and down my spine.
"What did the kids call you in school? Red or freckles?" she asks.
"They called me short-breeches."
The fingers hesitate. "’Short-breeches.’ Oh, that's funny."
"Is it? Then laugh."
"Oh." The fingers resume their movements. "I didn't mean to say anything wrong."
"It's all right. If you're so da[**]ed curious, maybe you'd like to know how I got the nickname."
"I would."
"When I was in the fifth grade, I had just one pair of over­alls. My mother washed them every night and dried them by the kitchen stove. They shrunk halfway to my knees. So the guys started calling me short-breeches; and I'd slug them. I fought every day."

He remembered the shrunk and faded jeans; he wrote of them again, in January of 1956, in an article published in Modern Screen called “You Do the Prayin’ and I’ll do the Shootin’”:

Quote :
… the truth is I must have done some of my best fighting in a war I was in long before I joined the Army. You might say there never was a "peace time" in my life, a time when things were good. I can't remember ever being young in my life. I never had just "fun." I am one Texan boy who never had a pair of cow­boy boots. I am one native-born and native-bred American male who actually doesn't know the rules of our national pastime— baseball. I never had time to play or the paraphernalia you play it with. I never had a bike. It was a full-time job just existing. My mother never made it. Continued poverty and enforced self-neglect wore her, down until she had no resistance to disease. She ailed steadily. In a home where food was hard to come by, medicine and treatment were unattainable luxuries, not necessities. She died when she was in what should still have been her vigorous years. Her story, including her early death, is not unusual in the history of a share­cropper's family, particularly when the sharecropper himself runs off, leaving his wife to take care of their children—in Mother's case, nine of us. When do you get a nickel for the col­lection plate at church when you are in a fix like this? Not often. When do you get a change of clothes to wear Sunday, let alone 'a new or good suit? Never.
I usually owned only one pair of jeans, and for years my nickname among kids who knew me, particularly the girls, was '"Short Britches" because mine were usually never as long as they should be. My mother would wash my jeans regularly and they would get clean, but also shorter.

When I came across these references as I was researching my book, I remembered my grandparents’ East Texas farm. They did not have electricity until I was ten. They never had running water. I always had such fun taking a bath there. For me, it was a delightful novelty. My grandmother would pull out a #3 washtub, and set it on the back porch, near the cistern. They didn’t have a well. The cistern caught rain water. During droughts, the washtub would be replaced by a small basin, like the one my grandfather used for shaving, and the one Abe described. But, as I said, for me, it was fun. Once the washtub was about half full, Grandmother would bring a kettle of boiling water, and pour in just enough for a semi-hot bath, and hand me a washcloth and a bar of that Castile soap Betty wrote about.

After my mom married my dad, she “had” to wear couture clothes. Nothing less would do. I often looked down on her for that, but as I re-read these excerpts and remember that farm as an adult looking back, I think, no wonder she felt that way.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 7:26 am

??I don't know how that over­alls came up. Or the col&shy,tion plate either?? scratch
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 am

It's okay Ann, it reads well. I think the 'editor' function does that. It's a good post, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 9:04 am

They just pop up sometimes, Ann.

We had hygiene class at old Kent School but the part about the birds and bees was a waste of time because we learned a lot more by standing at the back fence of what was supposed to be a playground. From there you could peer down to Case Avenue where the prostitutes plied their trade, frequently in automobiles parked at the curb.
Think I'll write a blog about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 9:28 am

I remember taking Lynn to her first college weekend. I decided I had a captive audience, so I gave The Mother's Lecture one more time. Susan had come with us so I wouldn't have to drive back alone, and I was thinking, how often can you get two for one. Lynn, in that voice that only 17 year old girls can manage, told me she got all that stuff in health class. On the way home, I asked Susan if they really taught it in health class and she replied, "I don't know. They're still teaching us how to do drugs. We haven't learned how to have sex yet."

Ann
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Gotta love those health classes.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 3:00 pm

How to live--it was a great class! We had to be clean and thnk clean and eschew all evil at all times.

It wasn't easy, but what is?
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Obviously you are not talking about the classes I attended. We were clean enough, but after that it was another story.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

I just wish there was a class to teach kids how to wear their pants around their waist instead of around their knee caps.

It used to be a "boy" problem ... but now even girls are showing off their underwear or else they moon the public when they bend over.

While we are at it ... how about teaching school kids to bend at the knees .... scratch
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Quite right--far easier to bend the knees than to break the back.

Might even save a few ruptured discs.

Last edited by Alice on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 am

When I had my condition where the nerves in my legs were detached from my brain, it was like I had forgotten how to walk, get off of chairs, pick up things off the floor. I tried to pick up something off the floor and fell over hitting my head on a counter on the way down.

Now my body is remembering and knows to pick things up off the floor safely it has to bend it's knees. This has been so strange. It is like my body forgot all it learned when it was two.

Now I just walk funny.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 6:21 am

My knees don't bend as easily as they once did, either. I have a couple of tools that Mother got after her hip replacement surgery - like arm extenders. Did Tom have any after his surgery? They make things so much safer when the legs aren't at their youthful best.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 9:47 am

Carol,
If you walk funny, don't worry about it. At least you can walk and are making progress.
Now if you begin to talk funny, that's another matter.Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hygene Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hygene Class   Hygene Class Empty

Back to top Go down

Hygene Class
Page 1 of 1