Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

the maritime literature

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

the maritime literature Empty
PostSubject: the maritime literature   the maritime literature EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 12:47 am

Halloo All

I am fond of the classics, especially to the maritime classics. Sad to say that even the reading people in our time –most likely know little or nothing about the classic literature or have read some best of them.
I have had discussions with a person, who has been graduated of literature faculty in a university – and found this person – who was nothing but one example of many of similar examples – been totally ignorant that sort classics like Moby Dick or same else great novel belonging in the same rate.
For reason or other the classics have put aside long ago, and now everyone is fishing up stories of love affair or cheer action.

I have read once again London’s 'the sea wolf', and wondering whether the readers fully understand the content of this book.
There is the main idea, the individualism of Captain Larsen and his sprit, which remain just on the level of idea of super human.
But the unpolished sailors and the hunters in this setting, they are real – absolute real, and to be realized this thing you must been out there at sea during the sailing, and the era of steam at sea.
The sailors, the simplicity, their social structure aboard ships and their wishing - have been invariable trough the centuries till the end of year 1975.

The other notice than I made of this book, J.London is talking much about sailors that I could recognize hailed from Scandinavian, and – Johnson – the slow speaking seaman who demand his name being pronounced properly, couldn't been hailed anywhere else but from the Aland island on the west coast of Finland.
That time they were called as Russian Finn, before 1918 the independent of Finland. That was the time when young men from Finland emigrated all over the world
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: the maritime literature   the maritime literature EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:11 am

Hi Harry. I believe you are right about what people are reading these days, but there are some who do still read some of the older classics. Those dealing with the sea can be especaily appealing to those who are around the oceans living in port towns, especially. The libraries here carry many of the classics and they have obviously been well read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: the maritime literature   the maritime literature EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 5:38 am

Zada. Thanks for you reply.
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the maritime literature   the maritime literature Empty

Back to top Go down

the maritime literature
Page 1 of 1