Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly Empty
PostSubject: Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly   Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm sure most of you already read the Publisher's Weekly, but for those unfamiliar with the publication,

From the 2/14/2008 issue:

Borders Debuts New Store Format
Yesterday, PW took a tour of the new Borders ‘Concept’ store in Ann Arbor, Mich. The first of 14 outlets scheduled to open in 2008, the new store offers a refreshed design that emphasizes online interactivity with Borders and its partners via computer kiosks throughout the store. The highlight is a new fully staffed Digital Center that offers onsite music and audiobook downloads, as well as self-publishing kits, customized photobooks and family histories. It caters to contemporary shopping habits, bridging the virtual and bricks-and-mortar retail worlds. Look for photos and our complete story in Monday's PW.

You can find this and other interesting articles here:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6532472.html?nid=2286&source=title&rid=1609285953

This is a free newsletter delivered directly to your inbox either daily or weekly as you choose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly   Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks for this Zada - I checked it out today, and read all the related articles too. Sounds like they may have hit on a really good concept, especially with tying in the music side. It sure is a tough business isn't it? I did an informal survey of some of the groups on facebook one day looking for people who listed reading as one of their interests, and was stunned at the number of people who actually hate reading. I think I was so immersed in it, having been raised an avid reader and doing the same with my kids, and then writing prolifically at different periods of my life too, in in between finally finishing my own formal studies, I got comfortable with the idea that the world is full of readers. Not the case, I was sorry to realize. What a sad state of affairs that is! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly   Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 6:37 am

I couldn't agree with you more, Pam. That is part of the reason I so admire people who write for children. That is where it all begins. I was reading the newspaper before I started school, and my mother always had me reading one thing or another. A word I didn't know prompted me to the dictionary, and I would find myself reading that. Perhaps I am a compulsive reader? By the second grade, I would read portions of the encyclopedia. I was fascinated. I am hoping that with good childrens books, that trait will start showing up more in young people. We can only hope.

I think there are two things at work. First reading not being instilled in children; and secondly, people who do not take the time to read. Lives today are so darned busy, that I am hoping the portable readers find many users. Mass transit may also help, as riders may spend the time they used to concentrate on driving to read instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly   Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Zada I agree that unless someone becomes a reader when they are really young, it's hard to create that kind of interest. I never had trouble finding good books as a child - the library was a tremendous resource, and my Dad used to leave his naughty books in one corner of his closet. I just read them for the articles, and it was very educational. Looking back, I think I am lucky I was not permanently scarred!

I too am curious to see what happens with the portable readers. I have not adapted to them, but my kids might. Personally I like the feel, smell and weight of a book in my hands. I have a hard time reading off of my computer because it is so hard to curl up with, and I spend so much time on it during the day that reading off it is just not as interesting.

It seems as though you have a pretty decent transit system where you are. Where I live we walk a half mile to get to the bus terminal, and then it's a half hour ride into the city (Halifax). Many people live much farther out and there are few buses so there is a lot of commuting going on just because of the way people are spread out. We'll just have to do our best to keep writing and encouraging readers! study
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly   Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly Empty

Back to top Go down

Borders, Another article from Publishers Weekly
Page 1 of 1