Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Escape in Passion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shiela
One Star Member
One Star Member
Shiela

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Escape in Passion Empty
PostSubject: Escape in Passion   Escape in Passion EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Escape in Passion
Book 2 in the Passion series

Romance

Author: Shiela Stewart www.shielasbooks.ca
Publisher: Linden Bay Romance www.lindenbayromance.com
Available in EBook and in Print

Blurb:

Nothing is ordinary in the small town of Passion, especially the love.

Victor Davis is a man trying to escape the tragedy of his past. Several months ago, a bullet that was meant for him killed his girlfriend by mistake. Now struggling to move on, Victor’s taken over as the chief of police of Passion. Vic knows everyone in Passion, so naturally he can’t help but notice when beautiful stranger Julia Wilson moves into the small town.

Mysterious and alluring, Julia came to Passion with one thing on her mind, avenging the death of her sister. Desperate to find the truth, and keeping her true identity a secret, Julia enters into an affair with the one man she thinks might be able to give her answers—Victor Davis.

Lust and love run rampant when Victor and Julia enter into a torrid romance. But Julia’s deception turns dangerous and secrets from Victor’s past soon threaten their fragile relationship. Murder, kidnapping, and an escape that you’ll never forget. Welcome to the town of Passion.

Excerpt:

Victor Davis looked into the two young faces, bloodied and bruised, and thought of the good old days when he
was the young and stupid, bruised and bloody one. Now, he was the older, more responsible one. When the hell
had that happened?
Three months ago, when he’d agreed to take over as staff sergeant of F-Division, the police depot in Passion, was when it had happened. It was all still sinking in. He’d come to town to help his old friend Tom and his then girlfriend, now wife, Cassie, solve a decade old murder case that had ended up unveiling a cover-up in the police
department. Cassie had moved into a house where three people had been killed and was convinced it was haunted.
He hadn’t really believed her or Tom when they’d told him, until he’d seen it with his own eyes. The dead had come back to seek retribution for their deaths and, in turn, had turned the town upside down. And now he was here, trying to police a town where a good portion of the occupants hated him, another portion wasn’t sure about him, and a select few who warmed up to him.
One of the bruised and bloody boys before him was a member of the We Hate Victor Davis Fan Club. Lucky
him.
“Okay, let’s start from the beginning.”
“Get bent, pig.”
Eyes narrowed, Vic leaned down into the arrogant teenager’s face, lowering his voice as he spoke. “That is ‘Staff Sergeant’, and one more derogatory word from your mouth, Darrell, will land you a nice comfy bed in the
local jail cell. Now, as I was saying. Let’s start from the beginning.” He straightened and stood before the two boys. “Who started the fight?”
“Fuck face did,” Darrell spat.
“Like hell I did,” Mitch returned.
“Watch your mouth,” Vic warned Darrell, then turned his attention to Mitch, who seemed to be the more reasonable of the two. “Why don’t you tell me what happened, Mitch?”
Clearing his throat, Mitch began, “I was minding my own business, waiting in line for the movie when Darrell came over and shoved me.”
Vic raised only his index finger to silence Darrell when he opened his mouth. “Go on.”
Shifting his feet, Mitch turned away from Darrell. “I think I said something like, ‘What the hell?’ Then his fist came up and slammed into my face.” “You threw a punch at me first, dick weed.”
“What did I tell you about your comments, Darrell?” Eyes sternly on Darrell, Vic asked “Constable Sawyer, you talked to the witnesses?”
Standing stiffly, the constable responded. “Yes, sir, I did,”
“What did they tell you?”
Clearing his throat, Constable Sawyer began, “Witnesses said that Darrell came into the facility, shoved Mitch, then punched him in the jaw.”
“They fucking lie.”
“Darrell,” Vic warned in a deep throated growl, “you are pushing my buttons, boy.” He held his tongue when Darrell snorted in response. “Now, without resorting to name calling, tell me why you came after Mitch?”
Squaring his shoulders, Darrell spoke in the arrogant tone Vic was growing accustom to. “He fucking stole my
girl.”
“I did not,” Mitch retorted.
“You fucking did, too. I saw you with her last night and when I confronted her about it today, she admitted you were fucking her.”
“Enough. I swear to God, Darrell, if you don’t watch that mouth of yours, I will lock you up. Mitch, are you seeing Darrell’s girlfriend? I can’t believe I’m doing this.” How had he gone from investigating murders to breaking up some pimple faced teenagers fighting over a girl?
“No, sir, I am not.”
“You liar.” Darrell lunged at Mitch but was held firmly in place by Constable Sawyer.
“I’m not sleeping with her. She’s my sister Lillie’s friend,” Mitch explained to Vic. “I drove her home last night, and that was it. I swear.”
“Why the hell did she tell me you two fu—did it,” Darryl amended when Vic shot him a warning look.
Mitch shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe you should ask her that.”
“Okay, no charges have been filed. You both can go, providing you keep away from each other. I don’t want to have to break you two up again because next time I might not be so nice. Got it?”
“Yes, sir,” Mitch said politely.
“Whatever.”
Shaking his head, Vic stepped back from Darrell. “Go home, cool down, and when you have, call your girl and see what the problem is. Stay out of trouble. Teenagers,” he exclaimed to Max after Darrell finally left the building and Mitch went back to the line for the movie he’d been waiting to see. “Thank God I grew out of it.”
“Yes, sir. Would you like me to write it up for you?”
The kid was always so stiff. He was barely in his midtwenties and took his job seriously, which was a good thing. Except when you remove the uniform, you should also remove the stick up the ass. Max Sawyer rarely did.
But Vic was working on him. “Do you have plans tonight, Max?”
“No, sir.”
“Well, make some, after you write up the report. I’m telling you, Max, if I don’t see you with a woman soon,
I’m hiring you one.”
“I beg your pardon, sir?” Max asked with genuine surprise.
“Relax, Max, I was only joking. Find someone to do something with but don’t just sit alone in your apartment. See you tomorrow.”
“Have a good night, sir.”
Waving to Max, Vic made his way along Main Street. He was one to talk. When was the last time he’d been out on a date? The memory of the last woman he’d kissed left a sour taste in his mouth, one he had too often. One he often washed away with a cold beer or glass of gin. Shaking off that thought, he carried on. There was a crisp chill in the air, and pulling up the collar of his regulation jacket, Vic strolled along the quiet streets he now called home. There were still some houses that were lit with Christmas lights, even though the holiday had been over for weeks now. Nineteen eighty-four had come in without much enthusiasm on Vic’s behalf. He hadn’t even bothered putting up a tree, much less lighting his house. There really wasn’t much point when you were alone.
Tom and Cassie, his two best friends, had gone off to spend the holidays with her family in the city, then off to their honeymoon in some hot resort in Mexico. Lucky bastard, his friend was. Not only had he met the woman of his dreams, but that very woman was every man’s, and boy’s, wet dream. She was blonde, stacked, and had curves in all the right places. And on top of it, she was knocked up, which only made her even sexier. Who knew watching a woman blossom with child could be sexy? Yet it was for Vic.
Not that he lusted after his best friend’s wife; he knew his boundaries, and he would never do anything to hurt his oldest and closest friend. But he could admit, at least to himself, that he was jealous of his friend. Tom had caught himself a real winner.
“Officer, oh, officer. I need your help.”
Turning his attention to the high pitched voice, Vic saw the elderly woman running towards him. Instinct kicked in; he prepared himself for the worst. “Is there a problem, Mrs. Dunbar?”
“Yes, yes, oh, dear, dear me.”
“Just relax, Mrs. Dunbar. Take a deep breath and tell me what’s wrong.”
“It’s Mr. Jingles, oh, Lord, he’s stuck under the tree.”
“Did you call for help?” Vic asked, rushing along with the woman as she led him to her house.
“I was just about to go into the house and call, but then I saw you. Thank God. You have to help him.”
“Okay, just relax. Was he conscious when you left him?”
“Oh yes, and yelling his head off.”
“Okay, that’s good. What part of him is under the tree?” Vic pulled out his radio and was about to call in for backup when she spoke.
“His tail.”
He paused not just in step, but thought as well. “Come again?”
“His tail. I heard him crying, so I went out to see where he’d gotten to, and I found him stuck under the tree.”
“His tail?”
“Yes,” she said with exasperation, leading him to the back of the house. “See.”
One look and Vic wanted to curse out loud. “That’s a cat.” And like she’d said, it was screaming its head off.
“It’s Mr. Jingles. I don’t know how he got himself stuck to the base of the tree. You have to help him, please,
officer.”
Letting out a deep breath, Vic walked up to the tree. Yep, she was right, the cat was stuck and apparently not just his tail, but it looked like his butt as well. Vic couldn’t help but laugh.
“This is no laughing matter, officer.”
He didn’t bother to correct her in regards to his rank but did stop laughing. Or at least he did his best not to laugh. “Okay, let’s see what I can do.” Biting his tongue, Vic knelt down to the cat, who looked like he was ready to shred anything that came near him. Thank God for the regulation work gloves Vic wore. He pushed some snow away from the cat to get a better look. “Well, looks like I solved this one quickly.”
“What? What are you talking about?”
“Looks like Mr. Tinkles—”
“Jingles,” she corrected.
“Jingles, sorry, has gotten his butt stuck on his own urine.” Vic looked down at the panicked cat. “Don’t you know that when it’s this cold out, you shouldn’t put your butt down when you’re taking a leak?” he chastised the cat while he hissed and swiped his front paws at Vic.
“Can you help him?”
“I think I can. What I need you to do is go inside, run some hot water into a bucket and bring it out to me.” The instant she hurried to the house, Vic let the laughter roll. How could he not find humor in the situation when the damn cat’s ass was frozen to the snow because of his own piss? “See, that’s where dogs are smarter. They lift their
legs to pee and, therefore, prevent having their balls and ass stick to the snow.”
“Here we go.”
Biting his lip, Vic took the bucket of hot water from Mrs. Dunbar and knelt back down to the cat. “Now, be a good kitty and don’t claw my eyes out when I free you.”
“Don’t hurt my baby,” Mrs. Dunbar pleaded.
Nodding to her, Vic just hoped he wasn’t the one that got hurt. “Here we go.” Tilting the bucket, Vic began to pour the water beside the cat, in hopes it would melt the snow and release Mr. Jingles. The cat hissed, began to claw wildly, kicking up snow in his fight to free himself.
“Mr. Jingles!” Mrs. Dunbar cried out.
Because he worried the cat would rip its balls off, Vic placed one hand on top of his back while he poured the rest of the water. It wasn’t easy holding Mr. Jingles down; the cat was large, fat but strong, and put up a good struggle. The water melted the snow which released him from the spot he was frozen to, and Vic managed to scoop up the cat with both hands before it managed to run away. “Hold up there, big guy. Let’s check you out.”
“Is he alright?”
The cat fought like it was being murdered and managed to dig his claws right through the thick leather gloves Vic wore. He cursed under his breath, shifting the wiggling cat to check out his backside.
That had been a major mistake.
Mr. Jingles wiggled, Vic lost his grip and the cat lunged at him, clinging to his jacket. And if that wasn’t
bad enough, Mr. Jingles took one carefully aimed swipe at Vic’s face and scratched him right across his left cheek.
“Son of a bitch!” He dropped Mr. Jingles, and the cat instantly ran for the house.
“Mr. Jingles,” Mrs. Dunbar cried, racing to the house.
“You’re welcome,” Vic called out, dabbing at the fire on his cheek. “Brutal bastard,” he muttered under his breath, trudging his way through the alley and away from Satan’s spawn. Damn cat.
With his gloved hand, Vic covered the wound as he marched his way home. Do someone a favor and look what you end up with. What had his life come to? He’d resorted to freeing cats frozen to the snow because the feline was too stupid to take a piss inside when it was cold. Six months ago he’d been investigating major crimes, and now he was freeing stupid cats from the snow.
Lord, what had he been thinking?
“Well, hello, handsome.”
Glancing over, Vic smiled at the beautiful blonde with big, blue eyes and replied in a sexy growl, “Well, hello yourself.”
Finally, things were looking up.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Escape in Passion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escape in Passion   Escape in Passion EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 6:08 am

Wonderful job, Sheila. I could actually 'see' the cat and Vic having a go at it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Shiela
One Star Member
One Star Member
Shiela

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Escape in Passion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escape in Passion   Escape in Passion EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 9:28 am

I had so much fun writing that scene. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Escape in Passion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escape in Passion   Escape in Passion Empty

Back to top Go down

Escape in Passion
Page 1 of 1