Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Publisher accepted

Go down 
+14
RunsWithScissors
alj
Shelagh
Carol Troestler
Pam
flashgordon
zadaconnaway
Malcolm
thehairymob
Jenny
lin
Dick Stodghill
Brenda Hill
Abe F. March
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Publisher accepted - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 9:48 am

You are jesting of course jocolor ... but I think I got the gist.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 11:03 am

No Shelagh, I wasn't jesting, just being careless in my typing. But as you said, you got the gist.

We often intend to say one thing but the meaning can be distorted. It reminds me of the guy asking a friend if he knew how many dead people were buried at the cemetery in the Bronx. He replied, "All to them."
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 am

Lol! I think I had my editor's hat on! Publisher accepted - Page 2 710456... or should that be: had on my editor's hat?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 2:36 am

Shelagh,
Your comment certainly points out the need to have someone else review what we write. Often what we intend to convey is not comprehended as such. A simple word can alter the entire meaning such as “jest” or “jist”. A spell checker wouldn’t pick that up. There are other words where a single letter in the word can alter the meaning. Often when we are so close to our work we can’t see the obvious that another person will.
I don’t object to someone pointing out an error such as you did that will alter the meaning of a statement. Simple spelling mistakes that many of us make when responding to posts can be overlooked. If they are consistent it may have a negative reflection on the writer.
There are those whose native language can be a problem with correct usage of the English language and I think we all understand that with some posts we have read. I have a particular problem with capitalization. In German all nouns are capitalized and I often get that mixed up. I either don’t capitalize when I should or capitalize when I shouldn’t. When I write a draft I don’t worry about it. It was pointed out to me recently that what I wrote appeared to be written for teenagers - being too elementary. I didn’t realize that had happened but I knew the cause. When speaking English to people whose understanding of English isn’t the best, one needs to speak slowly and pronounce words as simply as possible without the use of contractions. Unfortunately those habits can be reflected in how one expresses themselves when writing. An honest review is important.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 2:43 am

I was wondering how one gets the jest of something. Of course, one could in certain writing, but gist does fit better in this situation. Sometimes I'm so serious I might not get the jest in something, however.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 5:02 am

Hi Carol,

I think I suffer from the opposite -- I tend to see the funny side of everything. As to Abe's point about having someone else check over writing before submitting, there wouldn't be such a thriving business of editors and proof readers if writers didn't make mistakes. No doctors without patients, no police without criminals, no books without readers ...
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:32 am

Abe, what great news!

Keep us posted.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks Ann,
Nice to see you here. I recall our messages about Murphy's action in France and my passing by his memorial when I made my long "wanderung". I'm ashamed to say I haven't read your book but will now place it on the top of my list.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 1:53 am

I'm a bit late to this thread but am hoping by now that you've signed a contract, Abe. Wishing you all good things!!
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 am

Marie,

Are you from Missouri? John Brown lived there as well.

One time we went to a museum pre-reopening party at a museum in Georgia that has the engine that a cousin and 21 others stole during the Civil War. This group received the first Medals of Honor. One of the direct dependents had taken his sons to the Medal of Honor museum on an aircraft carrier in Charleston. The curator took out the medal of their ancestor and let them hold it. What a great experience for them.

A couple of years later we went to the same museum and could not find the medal, finding out that it and others had been stolen. Two others were stolen while on display in Wisconsin. My granddaughter thought up this book where an old man dies and his granddaughter finds all these medals from this group, learns what they are, and returns them.

Abe, how's the publishing coming?. It is exciting.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks all of you.
I busy reviewing the editing corrections and suggestions changes received back from the publisher. It is a lot of fine tuning work to insure that a good story will be presented in a good book.
I'm delighted so far with the assistance and attention given by my publisher.
Back to top Go down
Gina
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Gina

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 10:38 am

Well done, Abe. I'm so pleased for you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ginacolliasuzuki.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 1:34 pm

That's great, Abe.

Carol, John Brown also lived in Akron and his house is set up as a museum as part of the local historical society.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 3:18 am

Congratulations Abe: Remember the rest of us when you become famous.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 3:31 am

Late as usual, but wanted to congratulate you on your publishing contract, Abe. I am so happy for you. You must be so excited!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate your good wishes.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:03 am

Abe,

Congratulations!

Publisher accepted - Page 2 986286 Publisher accepted - Page 2 986286 Publisher accepted - Page 2 986286
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Publisher accepted   Publisher accepted - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Publisher accepted
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2