Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Will the wild creatures please go away

Go down 
+8
lin
Betty Fasig
Pam
Carol Troestler
JoElle
zadaconnaway
Shelagh
Dick Stodghill
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Will the wild creatures please go away - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will the wild creatures please go away   Will the wild creatures please go away - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 5:04 am

I, too, am so glad to see Alice back on these boards! I love your sense of humor, Alice, and the way that you express yourself. Thank you for the nice compliment.

Betty, maybe we could set up a conference call with you, me and the squirrels. I don't seem to be getting through to them and can use your help. I know that they love getting into my attic and walls to play running games, but they have to stop the gnawing games!

There are a lot of squirrels around, and I have a lot of oak trees that they seem to like to hang out in and collect the acorns. How big should this condo that I build for them be? Should it just be for the one that likes my attic, or should I open it up for more to move in?

Do you think that I could substitute Beatles music for Brahms? I have a lot of that already on hand.

I'll try and gather them tonight for a story of Woofer's Woods. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Will the wild creatures please go away   Will the wild creatures please go away - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:00 am

lin wrote:
I don't mind the big ones. It's the little ones that bug me. Like mosquitos that wait until the light's out, then buzz right in my ear. (and might be carrying denque fever)

Last spring I was sitting around in my t shirt and kept feeling a tickle on my back. This being the tropics, I assumed it was sweat running down my back. But I couldn't pull the shirt tight or make it stop. Finally I just pulled the shirt off and flipped it across the room. on the way a two inch scorpion fell out and charged at me. (What we call a terminal decision)

I don't mind spiders and snakes or anything much. But scorpions really creep me out. So of course I live beside a vacant lot that crawls with them. I've had them in my bed, where one actually stung me just for rolling over.

They're evil. Just looking at them shows their rotten attitude.

Oh I don't like scorpions either. We would see them once in awhile when we visited my uncle's ranch in Mexico.

My dad's baby brother died when he was 2 from a scorpion bite!

Oh, and I don't like mosquitoes either!!!

Or flies, or fire ants, or cockroaches, or stink bugs, or yellow jackets, or wasps, or .... ah, never mind. List is long enough and I think you guys get the idea.
Suspect
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Will the wild creatures please go away   Will the wild creatures please go away - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:05 am

Carol Troestler wrote:
And if you use poison, then they seem to die inside your walls and smell terrible.

We had a rattlesnake in our house in South Carolina. My husband captured it with a kitchen utensil and took it outside.

We lived in Texas when my husband was in the Marines and one of the first lectures he went to was to watch for coral snakes, that some wife thought one was her child's jump rope and did not survive. We also had black widow spiders between the screens and windows, cockroaches, and a horned toad that watched me carefully when I hung up the clothes to dry outside.

Carol

We also came from Texas ... lots of critters there.
Usually they are the not so scary kind, like possum or armadillos.

Cockroaches sort of rule the place. Yuck! I hated those big flying kind!! (Had those in Mexico too)

But snakes and tarantulas were in a special "Yikes!" class all of their own.

One day my little sister went to take a shower and pulled back her shower curtain to turn on the water .... and found herself looking at a snake.

She calmly got dressed again ... went to the living room and asked her step dad if he would please get rid of the offending critter in her tub.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Will the wild creatures please go away   Will the wild creatures please go away - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:19 am

Scorpions are not at all friendly so keeping company with them is not a good idea. During my year in western Louisiana just sitting down was a chore because you had to make sure the area was clear.
A man I worked with fifty years ago decided to move to Arizona but his wife was opposed to the idea. She hated the thought of being stung by a scorpion, although she had never seen one. To look things over, they checked into a large hotel in downtown Phoenix and were given a room on an upper floor. They had been there 45 minutes and had not left their room when the wife was stung by a scorpion. The hotel people said such a thing had never happened before. They soon were on the road back to Ohio.

Like Betty, I love squirrels. They climb up the wall of our building to our sixth floor balcony for treats. A few years ago a mama squirrel built a nest in a corner of the balcony and had babies here. Watching them play was great fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the wild creatures please go away   Will the wild creatures please go away - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Will the wild creatures please go away
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2