Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What can one do?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 12:16 am

What can one do?

In the past I often heard people say:  “Why didn’t the German people do something to stop Hitler?”  Comments on FB are similar where people are asking, “What can we do to stop Trump?”  “Why isn’t someone doing something?”
Trump has been compared to Hitler in various ways and the similarities are uncanny.  Americans are just as perplexed as the Germans were during the Hitler regime.  The differences are that Americans can and are speaking out whereas the Germans could not without risking their lives.  Speaking out appears to be the only thing the common man can do.  These actions will be effective at the next election and I believe voter turn out will be increased.  Speaking out is having some effect on politicians who will be up for re-election.  The main concern is that there will be fair elections and that people will not be blocked or inhibited in casting their votes.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 4:26 am

Trump receives very bad press in Germany, a liberal country with ideals mostly at odds with those of the US. Germany's economy is highly dependent on exports, and the EU provides a ready market that keeps Germany as one of the leading world economies. Trump wants to import fewer German goods into the US, which, of course, is not great news for Germany. Comparing Trump to Hitler is a sure fire way to lose the argument against Trump as a dictator. Obama, because of Senate opposition, had to use his executive powers far more than Trump has to, and yet Obama was not called a dictator.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 7:10 am

It is easy to speculate on why things happen as they do.  From my perspective, when Trump was a candidate there were many who talked about his German heritage. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/22/politics/trump-grandfather-germany-friedrich   When Trump began his political rants, some of the people in the village of Kallstadt were embarrassed and hoped that he would never visit.  There were some who suggested naming a street after him and that was squashed.  Germans continue to fight against the image of their Nazi past.  Those in power at that time are long dead; however there are people who continue to associate anything bad to "Nazi Germany".  History is history and will never be forgotten, nor should it be.  Other Western countries have historical pasts that they would like to forget. 
I am not a citizen of Germany and it is not my place to defend Germany’s actions.  Having said that, I am not blind to what I see nor am I deaf to what I hear.  I am convinced that jealousy is playing a role in condemning Germany for success with their exports.  People will buy from any country that produces a quality product.  Some years ago, Toyota was under fire for success with their cars in America.  Many responded saying, “When America produces a quality car, we will buy it.  The result:  there was an improvement in the quality of American cars.  In my youth, I remember my father saying that things build in England was built to last.  At the same time, he said that products from Japan were bought because they were cheap and not good quality.  There is a market for price over quality.  That was experienced within the shoe and textile industry and many manufacturers moved their production to the Far East where cheap labor was available.  When poor quality was the result, some moved back to their homeland.  The market dictates what will be bought and is reflected in Trade.  Punishing a country for success in Trade is short-sighted and foolish.  Competition is good for the consumer.  If there is a trade imbalance, there is a reason.  Regulations to punish success are short-sighted and nuts.  For every action there will be a reaction.  A quick fix doesn’t work.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 11:23 am

I agree, Abe, and I hope the Brexit negotiations will bring a settlement that benefits both the UK and other EU member countries. We own a German car and would be happy to trade it in for another, but if the deal on the table is bad for the UK, we will not be buying another German car.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 am

You points is well taken.  Consumers have more power than they realize.  Boycotting is an effective tool.  No merchant will carry a product that doesn't sell. Sales are the driving force for any producer. 
I too hope that conditions will normalize within the EU.  Brexit is causing much uncertainty affecting people in all walks of life.  Employees and even tourists working or traveling outside their home country feel uncomfortable.  As an foreigner, I am more cautious about what I say and do.  The politics of a country affect its citizens.  I experienced that during my entreprenurial days.  My wife experienced much animosity when she arrived in the US.  Being German-born she was made to feel that she was somehow responsible for the 2nd WW.  Some even complained to her about their German cars when they couldn't get replacement parts.

Whether we like it or not, we are identified by our country of origin and the current politics of our country.  It is primarily the uneducated that make unwarranted and stupid accusations.  Placing blame or jumping to conclusions seems to be a common characteristic and is not limited to the uneducated.  Frustration in not knowing "what to do" may play a role.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 2:33 am

My cousin's son moved to Germany and is unsure how Brexit will affect his right to remain. He recently became engaged to a doctor, but she is Latvian, so neither will have German status. It is hoped that EU members here in the UK will be allowed to stay, as will the Brits living in EU countries.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 am

Shelagh, I can understand their concern, however I do believe that countries within the EU want to work together and will find a way to cooperate and do the right thing for their citizens.  Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord has unwittingly caused Europe to unite.  "With every adversity there is a benefit".  He has also caused Governors and Mayors in the USA to band together to fight climate change on their own accord.  That is something he could not have done if he had consciously tried.  They will accelerate their efforts willingly without being told to do so and in the process, create jobs. 
Encourage your cousin's son to apply for residence status.  As previously posted, there are many Brits that have acquired German citizenship and many more applications pending.  He has nothing to lose by trying.  Each country has its own procedures in dealing with foreigners.  I see many foreigners working in Germany who want to remain.  Following the guidelines is important.  In Germany, there are rules concerning residence permits.  Usually you get a permit for one year and it is extended on a yearly basis.  Once you are here for five years with no blotch on your record, you can get an unlimited residence permit - an “unbefristed” residence permit such as I have.  As for employment, there is such as thing as “Probezeit” – a probationary period before the job is firm.  I encountered this as an employer in Germany.  I could get rid of an employee without consequences if done within the “Probezeit” period (normally six months).  After that, firing an employee was not so easy.
As with most things, a bit of research can help to eliminate much anxiety or guesswork.  I have noticed many doctors and nurses working in hospitals since Germany has a shortage.  Many come from Eastern countries including Russia.  Our experience with them is positive.  They too must qualify and serve their “Probezeit” as well as obtain a residence permit.  Unfortunately with the influx of migrants/refugees, many of these rules were not structly enforced and caused problems.  The rules are now strictly enforced to everyone’s benefit.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 9:42 am

One more thing, Shelagh.  What is your cousin's specialty?  If he has a needed specialty his status can be accelerated by a prospective employer.  The same goes for his wife.  If necessary, she could take training that would place her in a needed/wanted category.  If there is a will, there is a way.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 12:20 pm

He's an English Literature graduate, but he's working as a website developer.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Google "Jobs available in Germany".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What can one do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What can one do?   What can one do? Empty

Back to top Go down

What can one do?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: All Political Discussions-
Jump to: