Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome

Go down 
+2
Shelagh
alice
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 12:07 pm

There are ways kids can be dealt with.  I was asked to substitute teach for an algebra class and the kids were all set to give me trouble.

I  said, "Kids, I have two options today.    I can review Algebra or give you a test.  It is up to you, if you all behave we will review, any trouble out  comes the test."
I had not one second of trouble with them and they  learned a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Alice.  That was a good example of creativity that worked.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 7:41 am

You  bet, Abe.  I  think the first day of class for high school kids the teachers should say,  "Half of your grade  is based on your behavior, any trouble and  you will be in this class again."

Last edited by alice on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 8:07 am

alice wrote:
You  bet, Abe.  I  think the first day of class for high school kids the teachers should say,  "Half of your grade  is based on your behavior, any trouble you will be in this class again."
I know it is bringing up the past, but when I went to school, not everyone passed and had to repeat a grade.  The bit about "no one left behind" is simply crap.  If they don't deserve to pass, they should not be passed.  Being passed without having earned the right sends a signal that will stay with that person for a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 am

Abe F. March wrote:
alice wrote:
You  bet, Abe.  I  think the first day of class for high school kids the teachers should say,  "Half of your grade  is based on your behavior, any trouble you will be in this class again."
I know it is bringing up the past, but when I went to school, not everyone passed and had to repeat a grade.  The bit about "no one left behind" is simply crap.  If they don't deserve to pass, they should not be passed.  Being passed without having earned the right sends a signal that will stay with that person for a lifetime.

You are so right!    The teachers are there to teach!  The students to learn.  Repeating a grade would get boring after while.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 3:26 pm

When I was in High School, one had to pass Democracy to graduate.  1959-1962.  There was a guy name of cecile who was 22 years old and still going to school to try to pass Democracy.  He used to sit by me.  He had a full beard and took notes.  Not one teacher in Casa Grande Union High would have passed him if he did not pass the tests. 
I appreciate that now.  Then, every punk in class laughed about him....but he still came every year.  God bless him.
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 12:28 am

Betty, I think Democracy is an important subject for a student to pass.  How the government works is as important today as ever.
In a University Classroom, they were discussing the qualifications to be Prime Minister of Canada .. It was pretty simple. The candidate must be a natural born citizen of at least 35 years of age.
However, one girl in the class immediately started in on how unfair was the requirement to be a natural born citizen. In short, her opinion was that this requirement prevented many capable individuals from becoming Prime Minister.
The class was taking it in and letting her rant, and not many jaws hit the floor when she wrapped up her argument by stating, "What makes a natural born citizen any more qualified to lead this country than one born by C-section?"
Considering that these people vote and are the citizens of the future makes the subject important.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 8:30 am

Abe,

How funny, I  think she missed the point by  several miles!  Did anyone bother to enlighten her?  Hope so.  LOL
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 11:11 am

I'm guessing that "natural born citizen" needs to be clarified.  We are assuming that they are smart enough to know that, but assuming is usually wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome    A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A New Topic Would Be Most Welcome
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2