Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead Empty
PostSubject: The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead   The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Thought this was interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/business/media/the-plot-twist-e-book-sales-slip-and-print-is-far-from-dead.html?_r=0
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead   The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for sharing that Don.  I for one am pleased to learn that printed books are not dead.  I want to hold the book and turn the pages.  I want to pick it off the book shelf in the store and make a determination if it is something I want to purchase. 
There was nothing wrong in trying a new approach, but in the end, the consumer has the power.  Perhaps we will be seeing a resurge in small book stores and a reprieve for those on the brink of closing.  Getting your book on the shelves of a bookstore is still the dream of authors.  Perhaps there is an opportunity here where stores will be more open to placing books on the shelves and not be completely dependend on their distributor/suppliers.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead   The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 2:07 am

There is a bookstore near us that actively promotes getting the book you want if you don’t see it in the store.  You can place an order for the book at the store by giving the Title of the Book, the name of the author and the name of the publisher.  I’ve used this method and it works – no extra charge for the service.  Usually, when placing the order to the supply source, they order more than one.  I found that to be the case in the book(s) I ordered through them.  When I picked up my order I saw the same book on their shelves.  If a store has a call for a specific title and they must go through a process to get the book that is not offered by their distributor, it makes sense for their order department to order more than one.

With Don’s post about the revival of the bookstore, I’m wondering if it would be a good idea to order one’s own books via the bookstore.  Sometimes we get calls for our books from friends.  In the past I ordered it via Amazon and had it sent directly to them.  Although it will be more costly, I’m considering the extra cost to mail the book to the recipient as a promotional cost hoping that the end result will have my book available in the store.  Any thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead   The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 10:54 am

Interesting that publishers have stemmed the sales of ebooks with high prices, while the cheaper self-pubished ebooks sold on Amazon continue to increase in sales.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead   The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead Empty

Back to top Go down

The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip and Print Is Far From Dead
Page 1 of 1