Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Burn after reading

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 10:38 am

I don't advocate you do this after reading my post Very Happy

Rather, the movie "Burn after reading" is releasing in the UK this Friday. I'm thinking of punting £6 ($10) to go and see it in cinema. Dark comedy is not normally my sort of film, but it's got George Clooney along with a few other stars that include Brad Pitt et al. I'm thinking it might be a good laugh.

According to one report:

"In its opening weekend, the film grossed $19.1 million in 2,651 theaters in the United States and Canada, ranking #1 at the box office.As of October 5th 2008, it has grossed $51.64 million in the United States and Canada."

Has anyone seen it? Is it worth a go?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 10:56 am

Hi Abdul,

Are you watching the Paul Newman season on Film Four? We watched Hud last night. It's a brilliant fillm. Hud had no reedeeming features. Not one. But it was a performance worthy of an Oscar from the star of the film.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 5:42 am

When I was a kid back during the Great Depression many people went to a movie once a week and sometimes more than that. I was that way, but tapered off a little as time went by. Now it has been 17 years since I saw a movie in a theater. Why go to all the hassle and spend money when they are free on Turner Classic Movies? Oddly enough, or maybe it isn't odd, but many I watch that way are the same ones I saw 70 years ago in a theater. Last night it was one from 1936, a William Powell-Carole Lombard comedy.
The introduction explained that one studio wanted to borrow Powell from another to make the film that would star Constance Bennett. Powell said he'd do it, provided they replaced Bennett with Lombard, his ex-wife. They did as he asked so once again I got to watch My Man Godfrey.
Now this is odd: the film begins with men out of work and living in a city dump, something that is starting to happen again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 7:22 am

Shelagh,

"Hud Bannon (Paul Newman) is an unscrupulous, arrogant, brash, and self-centered man. He has few interests other than enjoying himself and avoiding responsibility..."

A case of hedonistic fever? Smile Could be quite fun to watch this.

Dick,
A lot of movies are a waste of money when you see them on the big screen and you're right to see them at home. But equally, many are not.
The cinematic ambience of watching a film with a large audience is what creates the ultimate "movie experience."

When I was younger, I happened to enjoy being spooked by supernatural films. No, not the ones with too much blood or gore... but the subtle, spine tingling ones.
Over the years I figured out the kind of lasting impression that any supernatural movie leaves on you after watching it is very strongly determined by the *conditions* under
which you see it:-

- whether you see it alone or with an audience
- the kind of reviews you've already read about the movie
- time of night, amount of lighting around you
- size of screen / quality of sound. In cinema, or at home on TV
- whether you're tired and sleepy or wide awake and alert
- how relaxed your mind is and whether you're free from stress
- ... etc...

I once saw The Haunting (released in 2000?) in cinema with a few friends and then afterwards at home. The two experiences were TOTALLY different.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 7:39 am

Psycho still freaks me out ... it's the music I think. What a Face affraid
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 5:54 am

Psycho was really good and I think the music was spot on. Especially the part where she's driving in the rain with the wipers going at high speed on the windshield, making illusions in her mind.

Stephen King's Salem's Lot was the scariest flick I'd seen of all time. I still can't watch it by myself today - even in broad daylight, it's that bad.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Dick Stodghill wrote:
....Last night it was one from 1936, a William Powell-Carole Lombard comedy.....

I just LOVE William Powell and Myrna Loy in the "Thin Man" movies!!!
I have the DVD set with all those movies!!

The only thing I don't like is Asta. That dog is so annoying!

But Nick and Nora are adorable!
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 4:00 am

Burn after Reading was a burning ambition... now I seen it. Much funnier than I expected. Especially the part where Goerge Clooney found a rocking chair with a vibrating dildo in the middle. It was even funnier, when he was under the impression that this woman was gonna sit on it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Burn after reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burn after reading   Burn after reading Empty

Back to top Go down

Burn after reading
Page 1 of 1