Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Are your characters real?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Are your characters real? Empty
PostSubject: Are your characters real?   Are your characters real? EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 12:31 pm

How do you build the feelings of your characters? Do you try to copy what you have seen in a movie, or are you writing from personal experience? I have kissed many women. From my experience, all lips feel different. I’ve asked myself, “Why do two people put their lips together?  I kissed a women once in a shaded area, and when we went into the light, I could see she had some hair on her upper lip. I’m a people watcher. After all the years since I kissed the women with hair on her upper lip, I still find myself looking at a women’s upper lip. Not that it’s a bad thing for a women to have hair on her upper lip, it’s just not the kind of lips I want to kiss. Some people kiss with their eyes open, some keep them closed, and others will take a peak. This got me to wondering, “What do people think about when they are kissing? I know what I think about…but I had no idea what the women were thinking about? I started asking women. “When you kiss a guy, what do you think about?”  They think about a lot of stuff. Guys more than not, stay on one track.
One of my stories was about a homeless guy. What do they do all day? How do they feel about their situation? What do they think about? I had no idea. So I packed my stuff away, took care of my bills for the next few month, told my family, and friends where I was going, and why. I went to a different town, and went out on the streets. I even road a fright train. I lived as a bum. I learned much. I saw how people treat bums. I could feel how people were looking at bums. I talked to other bums. That is a whole different world. After three months, I knew how my character should feel. What he was thinking, and  how he would do things.
How do you build your characters? I know a few writers try to copy what they have seen in the movies…but movies show a picture, they don’t need words. Writers have to build a picture in the readers mind with just words.  Do you have to know how something feels to write it, or can you fake it?
Test yourself:
A man is sitting in a field with his dog. The dog is licking the mans face. Write the scene:
Back to top Go down

Are your characters real?
Page 1 of 1