Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

VA in the news

Go down 
+4
Betty Fasig
dkchristi
Don Stephens
Abe F. March
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyThu May 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Finally attention is given to the VA.  Previous attention was directed to cutting benefits. Now we hear that getting treatment is the big issue.  Waiting 10 months for treatment of illness/injury during service is a disgrace.  It is a far cry from what Dick Stodghill received.  He was high on the service and treatment he received from the VA.  It is now a political issue with finger pointing trying to place the blame on Obama.  I don’t think anyone can seriously believe that the problems started with Obama; however that does not excuse him from his responsibility as Commander-in-chief.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 23, 2014 5:10 am

VA individual treatment really depends on the particular hospital!!!!
Except the whole system is underfunded!!!!
It has been that way since WWII
SEND THEM TO WAR AND FORGET THEM!!!!!!!!
Don't get me started.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 23, 2014 7:36 am

I hear you Don.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 23, 2014 2:57 pm

My understanding is that once in the system, the care is often better than private hospitals with several innovations beyond private care.  The issue is getting accepted to the system.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Everything seems to be President Obama's fault.. even stuff that goes back to the Vietnam war.  That is the political hype and many people are ready to agree with that and blame him for things that go all the way back to Reagan.;  I wonder if this points to the lack of political knowledge of this country or the success of the hype spewed by Fox and the other media outlets.....let us not forget the good Christian and Patriots; 
Who was it that said that the death of this country will be clothed in the flag and carrying a bible.  I believe that is the Tea Party personified.
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 23, 2014 7:01 pm

5/23/2014

The VA Scandal is growing across the country, several Dr.'s have
                      blown the whistle, many Veterans are furious, many have died by
                      just waiting, I'm ashamed of my own country letting this happen to
                      our great vets. I'm pretty sure this has been going on for years, I
                      think it's time heads roll big time and the head of the VA should be
                      next ! I wonder if thousands are still waiting for VA Disability ? That's
                      another scandal that they were suppose to deal with, just like every
                      thing else swept under the rug and it's not good enough for the media.

Joe... VA in the news 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptySat May 24, 2014 8:33 am

DK, getting accepted isn't all that difficult. It's a more a matter of where it's available. The nearest place I can get VA support is a sixty mile drive. For me to see a VA doctor is an all day adventure. My doctor is less than a mile from my house.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptySun May 25, 2014 9:42 am

From my limited perspective, it seems that the veteran's need has, over time, been outgrowing the existing hospitals' ability to serve those needs. As the situation worsened, the responsible persons at some of the hospitals chose to cover the problem by "doctoring" the statistics, which led to nore and more patients needs being neglected.

We seem to be entering a period of disclosure, when more and more of these "secrets" are being exposed. That's generally a good thing. Now that it is out in the open, resolutions can be found.

It isn't, to my thinking, about assigning blame. It's an old problem. The answers won't be found in blaming the current, or recently past, administrations. The answers can now be approached in a more open manner, and hopefully resolved.

Anybody remember a Tom Cruise film called Born on the 4th of July? It explored one individual soldier's struggles. If you aren't familiar with it, check it out.

Meantime, let's focus on finding a positive solution.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 30, 2014 7:48 am

alj wrote:
From my limited perspective, it seems that the veteran's need has, over time, been outgrowing the existing hospitals' ability to serve those needs.  As the situation worsened, the responsible persons at some of the hospitals chose to cover the problem by "doctoring" the statistics, which led to nore and more patients needs being neglected.

We seem to be entering a period of disclosure, when more and more of these "secrets" are being exposed.  That's generally a good thing.  Now that it is out in the open, resolutions can be found.

It isn't, to my thinking, about assigning blame.  It's an old problem.  The answers won't be found in blaming the current, or recently past, administrations.  The answers can now be approached in a more open manner, and hopefully resolved.

Anybody remember a Tom Cruise film called Born on the 4th of July?  It explored one individual soldier's struggles.  If you aren't familiar with it, check it out.

Meantime, let's focus on finding a positive solution.

Wow,
I’m impressed. You have your finger on the pulse of every topic facing the world today.  How do you know so much about everything?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:31 am

5/30/2014

I just read about a WW2 Vet who has applied over a 66 yr period
                   for his benefits, he's a wounded WW2 vet, he has been denied and
                   lied to " Sorry your records were destroyed in a fire," Finally two or
                   three years ago he had a friend help him and was granted benefits
                   but not for the 66 yrs since WW2, he gets $822- a month and a
                   lump sum of $7,000-. His friend said that's wrong you should fight
                   them, he said are you kidding I could never go through another
                   battle with the VA, I would be dead beofre they settle, he's in his
                   80's. The Vet administration needs to be totally overhauled , it's
                   disgusting the way our vets are treated, I blame the govt. and the
                   politicians...

Cheers..Joe.. VA in the news 925501
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:35 am

Looks like Shinseki has resigned:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/politics/va-hospitals-shinseki/
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:45 am

alj wrote:
Looks like Shinseki has resigned:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/politics/va-hospitals-shinseki/

After the fifty phone calls from you every day, it's no wonder he resigned. I'll bet he even left the State, and changed his name.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:58 am

5/30/2014

A victory today for all vets, Shineski resigned ! YES !
                 Now maybe the idiots in washington can put someone
                 who knows what their doing , Maybe ? As usual they 
                 always put idiots in charge......More heads to roll in
                 Nov. when the elections come....

Cheers...Joe.. VA in the news 748523
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 4:04 pm

My father -in-law was in a VA hospital in Arkansas. We visited him and could never see a doctor.  He claimed there were rats running around  beneath his bed at night. 

I believe him.

His roommate finally had a  stroke after being there for days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 pm

How much do we know about efforts Shineski may have made to get funding for more help?  I think there is more behind the failure of the VA to provide service than just bad management.  Resigning may suggest guilt, but I just don't buy it.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 6:29 am

I thought I wrote in a post but cannot find it regarding executives being fired or resigning when their organization is as complex as banking and VA.  When the bankers destroyed the U.S. economy they were not fired; they were given bonus payments to remain and help unravel the mess they created in the belief that no one else knew the inner secrets that had to be unwound.

That was my belief regarding Shineski.  Of course, the bankers and high rollers were part of the republican oligarchy and untouchable - no convictions - no arrests - while they illegally took the country into ruin. 

Shineski had all the right credentials; however, he inherited a complex responsibility with entrenched public servants already running things.  He made major changes by reducing the numbers waiting for disability services and implementing services for those who suffered from agent orange.  Sophisticated electronic data systems for medical records were implemented that are better than any private hospital.  Cutting edge care for wounded, returning service members has given them the ability to live quality lives unlike returning vets in the past.  I'm sure the list continues.

I believe he had to resign to keep from laying blame where blame was due.  He took it on himself.  The VA is a political football for both parties and the scandal staying alive with speculations about his firing or resignation was not a positive political situation.  He had the credentials to fix whatever was wrong by turning his attention to that area.  He probably had better credentials than anyone.

But he was not receiving $billions in salaries, benefits, perks and bonus payments like the bankers and corporate moguls who would have abandoned ship if they were not provided further incentives to stay.  The golden parachutes with which they left provided ample opportunity to continue funding the Congressional representatives from whom they received benefits.

Shineski can't benefit anyone politically by remaining in place and fixing the problem.  Those who called for his resignation were not seeking a solution, they were seeking a political goat.  He left. From all I know about the man he is a man of loyalty, integrity, intelligence, and experience with a personal vested interest in serving vets.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

VA in the news Empty
PostSubject: Re: VA in the news   VA in the news EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 11:53 am

VA in the news 950944
Back to top Go down