Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Monsanto

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 3:08 pm

It is my understanding that Monsanto only has genetically modified corn and bean seeds. Not another seed.  And, other than those two seeds, the person like myself cannot find any other modified seed to purchase.  I did try to find some.
To me, this is another political bunch of trash.  The big corn farmers do not want to pay royalties to Monsanto for the seed. That is it to me.  And, the many insecticide companies that are now used to control insects on corn, and there are many, would lose a lot of money if no chemical was needed to produce a worm free ear of corn. 
In my mind, the altering of a gene in the corn seed is a small price to pay for the amount of chemical that is sprayed (daily) on corn.  Anyone who has tried to grow an organic corn will tell you it is impossible even with all the 'approved' insecticides that are called organic.  Organic does not mean pesticide free. 
Monsanto developed Roundup.  Now there are many knock offs of that wonderful stuff. 
I grow things and use as few chemical as possible. 
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Actually, there are people growing the old fashioned way in other countries.  They won't allow our genetically modified food to contaminate their food supply.  Their food grows quite well.  It is more expensive.  Price is the issue.  In this country we are accustomed to gluttony as a way of life - too much food for too little cost.  Perhaps if it cost more, we would eat less.  However, it would be the poor who suffer.  The rich would continue to eat as they pleased.  They certainly don't pay any attention to food prices.  I didn't when I had wealth.  I bought what I wanted and needed and paid the bill.  Period.  I could never imagine my life today clipping coupons and watching food prices.  The wealthy don't do that.  My wealthy friends sure don't.  The price of food is an insignificant expense in their world.

We have Fresh Market and Whole Foods.  Their food prices are sky high.  The cars in the lots are Mercedes, BMW's, Lexus - you get the message.  Winn Dixie is the land of Hyundai and Kia.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 4:54 pm

I grow as much the old fashioned way as is possible. I fail to see that if the only two modified seeds that can be purchased are beans and corn how the whole food chain and supply are at risk.  Perhaps I am ignorant.  In that case I would love some enlightenment.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 6:09 am

Thank you for giving us a farmer's perspective, and for reminding us that every issue can be seen through the different eyes of each participant, and helps put it in a balanced view.

This gives me something to think about
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 7:16 am

Betty, whenever I read your posts about your gardening, I think of my own youth and current garden projects.  I have a compost area and use that for fertilizer - returning to the soil some of the nutrients that were taken.  Many of my plants are from previous season seeds.  Some things come up unexpectedly from the compost, i.e., pumpkins and even cucumbers.  Although I enjoy gardening, this year I will be doing it alone.   My wife is so disappointed that she can't work in the garden.  She can however, supervise.  This year we will have tomatoes, lots of salad, cucumbers, zucchini and beans.  No more potatoes.  My experience with potatoes is that they are too much trouble, especially with the nuisance of the potato bugs, for the yield.  Red beets and celery are a likely addition. Haven't had much luck with peppers, except for the hot ones.  What it comes down to is that after planting what I want, I fill in the remaining areas of the garden with whatever.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 10:39 am

Dear Abe,
I have been thinking about Kale.  Here in Florida, which is probably the insect capitol of the world, I can grow kale and nothing seems to eat it.  Even snails avoid it.  I have a big problem with snails.  I have an idea to make a potent kale extract using rubbing alcohol and kale and try the extract mixed with a sticker as a spray on plants that are usually the chosen food of snails and aphids. The alcohol will evaporate leaving the kale extract coating.  I wonder if it will deter these pests.  What do you think?
If it works, the organic growers will be thrilled, too.
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 10:43 am

Try it Betty.  It sounds logical.  Who knows, you may invent a safe repellant to unwanted insects.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 8:22 am

Betty,
Check Jerry Baker.  I used this and it works great.  Cost about 10.00 a pound.

Sluggo! This super-charged slug stopper combines iron phosphate (a plant nutrient found in soil) with a slug and snail bait that is guaranteed to be effective. These organic pellets are:
Safe to use around plants and wildlife
Effective even after rain or sprinkling
Harmless in vegetable beds right up to harvest time
Broken down into fertilizer if not ingested by slugs
Each 1-pound container covers up to 2,000 square feet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Monsanto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsanto   Monsanto Empty

Back to top Go down

Monsanto
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: