Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

2 Books Selling Better In The UK?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

2 Books Selling Better In The UK? Empty
PostSubject: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 7:58 am

I have two books that are selling much better in the UK than the US and I don't know why. Both books are about older women that have relationships with younger men. I don't know if there is something about the story lines that appeals to that audience more on a cultural level, but it just shows me how being about to sell in different markets changes our outlook on what we write. I now see that market as a target to build a strong secondary sales volume based upon what I see working there for my readers. I'm not talking about a small difference in sales. One book is selling 10 times more and the other is 3 times more in units. I didn't do anything different in promotion, but the higher selling book just took off on it's own. The other book moved more free units on a promo in the UK than the US and is now selling more paid units in the UK. The UK is my second best market, but Canada is much tougher for me to make inroads in. I sell more in Germany than Canada.

My question is do you consider where your readers come from when you write a book?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 am

No, I didn't think of that. Good point though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 10:28 am

DT, If the book stayed in the "also bought" list on the UK site for longer than on the US site, sales would increase at a greater rate. It's a bit of a lottery -- there's a title for your next story!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Or maybe there are just more "cougars" in the UK. lol!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 pm

I didn't think about those ideas - and they are good to consider in terms of marketing. Thanks, DT for another good marketing idea. I'm glad to see your market and sales grow as you have certainly worked at it and studied the best approach.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 8:48 am

I'm kind of late to the analytics game, but just as DT learned  different countries may prefer different books, I have learned that internet tools can provide valuable information for my own books. Awhile back I posted that I started a YouTube channel just because my TAB editor wants me to participate in promotion. I've been posting tutorials for a couple of my books, and have realized that it's helping me in another way. The view count is great -seeing which tutorials are heavily viewed and which are ignored tells me the information that readers want. This is informing content in my current book. (and I decided to remove the ads; if I ever obtain a large subscriber count, I'll reconsider).

Google used to include  search terms that landed people on my website, and I used those terms to help decide content of future posts and info for my texts. However, Google stopped doing that, citing "privacy." Yeah, right - they just realized it was valuable info and didn't want to give it away anymore. Watch, eventually it will be a pay option. Privacy for sale is not a problem to them.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 9:33 am

According to some geek friends, Google owns the world. As I said in another post, if you have your GPS on in your cell phone (or not on in some cases) you can be pinpointed by Google to the exact location not only on a map, but in the very room of your house. If you move a few feet, so does the pointer.

I love your Youtube adventure. May I ask how many viewers you have had on average?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 10:12 am

Your phone shares a lot more than that.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303453004579290632128929194?KEYWORDS=wireless+cellphones+know+where+you+are

I don't know what you mean by how many viewers on average I get, not sure where that info is or even  if it's useful. I just look at views for each tutorial. Some get a lot, some get almost nothing. My subscriber base is building slowly; I have 28 now and over 3,000 views total. But again, that doesn't really tell me much; with the millions of YT channels, it's hard to get noticed without active promotion. And I don't do that.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 am

Another analytic that's useful is the viewing time. If it's a 5 minute vid and most people leave after 2, that tells me I did something wrong. Or that the info they sought was found in those first two minutes, and everything else was a waste of time.

YT tells me how many are viewing it directly, through "suggested vids," on mobile apps, etc., but since I have no control over any of that, I don't pay much attention to it. It also shows me websites my vids got embedded on (but not where on the website), which gives me an idea of the specific population who could use that info.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:11 am

Haha, 29 subscribers now. Smile
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:29 am

Views is what I meant. 29 subscribers is great. It takes no effort to view but some to subscribe. About the phone - and some people think we can regain our privacy? Nope.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 Books Selling Better In The UK?   2 Books Selling Better In The UK? Empty

Back to top Go down

2 Books Selling Better In The UK?
Page 1 of 1