Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Knowing when to stop

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Knowing when to stop Empty
PostSubject: Knowing when to stop   Knowing when to stop EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:01 am

I find it difficult to slow down or even stop trying to do the things I once did.  I think it is partly ego that pushes one into doing things that they should not do.
When Hermann Frech has visitors and wants to show them around or take them to some distant city, he asks me to drive.  He trusts my driving and likes the smooth ride I give and it is difficult to say no when one enjoys the praise.  My reactions are slower today than previously.  My eyesight is not as sharp even with glasses.  I no longer have the confidence I once did in driving.  Backing up is more difficult when turning the head to look back is warranted.  Side view mirrors do not always provide the full view one needs.  Recently I said no to driving for him with his friends.  Passengers are placing their lives in the hands of the driver.  The pressure/stress in driving is greater than previously.  When driving on the high-speed Autobahn, going with the flow is the safest way to drive, however if/when it becomes necessary to react or even stop, the danger is magnified.  When I return from a trip, even a short one, I am exhausted due to the extra concentration required.  I am also under stress to give the passengers a safe ride. 
I’m reminded of the lyrics to a popular song:  “You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run.”  Knowing when to walk away or even run can save a life.  The wisdom of knowing may also apply to writing or making a post.  When things no longer come natural, it may be time to stop.  Trying to prove one is still as capable as when one was young is dangerous.  Another example:  I was invited to join the Senior’s Fussball (Soccer) Club.  My son encouraged me saying that I would make a good goal-tender.  He referenced my status as goal tender with a champion soccer team when I was in high school.  I considered it and then declined.  I watched the senior’s playing and saw the injuries they sustained.  The bones in us older folk are more brittle and can snap easily.  Broken bones, torn ligaments and sprains plague the senior’s Club.  I asked myself why I would want to risk this.  I don’t have to prove anything to anyone.  I know I am no longer as physically capable as I once was.  I decided to walk away from it.  At least I can still walk without assistance and pain.  That doesn’t mean there is no pain in the joints, but at least they are not the result of an unnecessary injury.  In addition, mending/healing takes longer as we grow older.

I’ve given up the idea of Skydiving.  I think it was an ego thing.  Although jumping is not as critical as landing, the shock to the heart, especially if one has heart problems, could be fatal.

As a senior, I’m in favor of requiring senior’s at a certain age to be re-certified to drive.  Sometimes driving too slow can cause an accident.  Eyesight in particular is a consideration for night driving.  The reflection of lights on a wet windshield can also distort vision.  

Yes, this is an admission that I am aging.  So long as I can still think rationally, I am satisfied, however my ability to “Think Rationally” is often challenged, even with my posts.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Knowing when to stop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop   Knowing when to stop EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 am

I live in Southwest Florida where the average age is 65.  One of my "complaints" is that living here makes it impossible to grow old gracefully.  The senior tennis tournament and several other competitions was won by a man 95 years of age (senior competition starts at 55 years old).

The bicycling clubs take to the roads in their fluorescent frocks, slender and fit and most beyond seventy years of age, men and women.

Nightclub dance floors include all ages far past their 60's, floating across the floor with grace or whatever the music requires.

Five days a week, Senior Sneakers and Senior Fit classes, an hour at a time, gyrate and lift weight and twist and turn their bodies with the instructor (close to the same age) saying - "that's getting in and out of the car," "that's backing out of the parking place," and that's to strengthen your hips or knees, or back or abs - in a programmed approach for seniors.

I went to those classes for quite a while - and gained weight!  I know muscle weighs more than fat so it was healthy, but I need to lose weight wherever it leaves from, not add it!

I highly recommend an organized class that works on specific muscle groups for aging seniors to make the driving and stairs and lifting safer and easier as the body fights back.

I spent a couple days on a ship, skipping the elevators most of the time and surprised at how much better I took the stairs by the end of the trip.  In Florida, everything is so flat and elevators everywhere that I seldom walk uphill - and used to love hiking in the hills that I might find a challenge.

My mom is 94.  My brother and I wanted to put her laundry upstairs.  We fear for her climbing up and down those stairs every day.  She refused.  She goes up and down a steep flight of stairs a dozen times a day.  When I visit her, I dread those stairs and catch myself breathing hard at the top on the first few days.  They are probably keeping her healthy.

Life will end for each of us on our appointed day.  Until it comes, I must choose to make each day full and meaningful and not let go of things I love in exchange for comfort.  Sometimes it is the urging of a friend that gets me to take a new path - and it's always a good thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com

Knowing when to stop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: