Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade Empty
PostSubject: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 5:10 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/family-hosts-200-homeless-people-for-dinner-after-daughter-s-wedding-gets-called-off-180643590.html?vp=1

A called off wedding with dinner planned for 200 fed the homeless instead - and started an annual event - a Celebration of Love - to feed the homeless every year.  Over 75% of Atlanta's homeless are children.  They hired a clown to entertain them.

Just shows that there are still generous hearts in spite of the cold shoulder so much of the U.S. is giving to those in need as though they deserve their plight.  A little kindness goes a long way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Couldn't see the video.  It said that it wasn't available in my location.

Feeding the homeless is an act of kindness.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 8:07 am

Oh, they had it in writing too.  I summarized it though.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 am

9/24/2013

A beautiful act of kindness !

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm

There are many people aged 40-60 who never got back into the work market after their jobs were lost - they lost their overpriced houses - it's a bad scene.  Homeless isn't what it used to be, mentally ill former Viet Nam Vets and drunks and druggies.  It's children and families.  In the U.S.  If I hadn't had a small pension to get me through to social security, I would have lost my house - and it's modest with a modest mortgage. 

People tried - but it's an employer's market.  They had the chance to pick younger, cheaper workers and that's what they did.  They continue to import skilled workers that are cheaper so those in the 40-60 age market still haven't a chance. 

I don't know the answer.  A person I know with diabetes and no insurance will likely just die.  He wasn't able to treat it along the way with no income and too much pride to go to medicaid - picked death instead.  That's because those with the good stuff in this country label those who need help as deadbeats and a drain on the economy - and when they face their own emergencies they don't want to be in that labeled group.  He chose death.  He contributed to this economy with a large income all his working days until the economy tanked and he fell out.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:54 pm

9/24/2013

DK...

That story broke my heart and I'm afraid in this country it's
                     going to get worse with companies forcing people to work par time !
                     I have never seen anything like it in my lifetime...

Cheers....Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm

In our parents lifetime, the Great Depression resulted in many families living in extreme poverty through no fault of their own
James Braddock was a successful prizefighter who, like many others during the 20's invested his fight winnings in the stock market.  About the same time as the beginning of the Depression, Braddock broke his hand in a boxing match and could no longer fight.  He got work on the docks when he could, but with so many others waiting in line for the few jobs available,, and often being passed over when the foremen saw his cast, he was forced to go oh relief.  At his most desperate point, he worked up the courage (yes, that's what is was) to go into his old sportsmen's club....

After his hand healed, his friend Joe was able to get him "one last fight."  He won that fight, and eventually went on to win the heavyweight championship.  One of the first things he did after he was able to box again was to go to the relief office and pay back the money he had been given.

While I was looking up this clip, I noticed that the whole movie was available to watch on YouTube., if you haven't seen it and are interested.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade   A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade Empty

Back to top Go down

A great idea...turning lemons into lemonade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: