Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Continued Story

Go down 
+2
Shelagh
alice
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Continued Story - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Mary wished she was home with her family.  She knew how to talk to them without continually being threatened with death.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 12:35 am

The Chief reflected on his dealings with Sam.  Perhaps he was too quick to push Sam aside.  “It is evident that Sam is determined to get information about Natalie and why she was attacked,” he thought.  “Sam’s questions did prompt me to dig further, The photos he sent could also be an assist in identifying the traffickers and who else might be involved. Sam could be useful in obtaining information without me having to reveal too much about the investigation. Yes, I think using Sam would be a wise move.” The Chief decided to meet with Sam and smooth things over, Apologizing for being obnoxious was not something he wanted to do, however there were other ways to bridge the gap in communication.  Instead of a phone call, he would meet with Sam with the guise of thanking him personally for the information.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 am

When news came through that Mary had vital information, the chief decided to hold fire on contacting Sam. He felt certain that Sam would continue to pass on anything that might be useful. For now, it might prove costly to the investigation if he shared information with an outsider. Even his own work colleagues were unaware of Mary Billingham's existence. It was a good decision not to phone, and equally wise not to set up a meeting; the risk was too high.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 am

Jake could hear what Rodney was saying but it was still very cryptic. He hoped Mary was brave enough to get more information. Then he heard a series of hiccups.

"Pardon me," Rodney said. "I need a little something to help with this."

"Here have a little more of the champagne they brought us." 

Jake hoped that would not inflame the man's libido but knew it was the right thing for Mary to do.

"Thank you, my dear. Let's toast to pretty baubles and shiny metal."

"To pretty baubles and shiny metal." Jake heard Mary repeat. "Maybe next time you in town, you bring me  pretty bauble?"

"Perhaps, I bring both for you. They pale in comparison to your beauty."

"Thank -" 

A resounding thud. 

"Seems as though my date had a little too much to drink."

Jake aka Terri took the hint. Terri arrived to help Mary only to find Mr. Big taking Mary aside.
Back to top Go down
https://cswcllc.weebly.com/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 pm

"Did he say anything?" Mr. Big asked.

"He said he had the power to get things into the country. He said he make money out of shiny baubles," Mary replied.

Mr. Big nodded but said nothing. He knew about the diamond smuggling, but he was not going to divulge anything to Mary. He had hoped she would have learned about the next shipment and the day it would be sent from South Africa. "Stay with him until he comes round. Let him talk."

Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 pm

"I go to powder room first, okay?" Mary asked with her eyes downcast.

"Okay, don't take long or I'll send in someone to get you."

"No, I be quick. You see."

Jake debated whether to follow Mary to the restroom. Dressed as Terri he could do so easily. The concern was Mr. Big. So he backed out before being caught up. "Shiny baubles, but less beautiful than Mary. Easy enough because she is very beautiful," he thought.

Jake turned the corner and peeked back. He saw Mary returning to her seat.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm

I thought she was going to the powder room, he mused. How could she be so quick?   She seems more like a cat than a person.
I will need to watch her carefully.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 am

Rodney was sitting up straight.  He looked at Mary through bleary eyes wanting to appear in control and said: “Too much drink make me Tipsy”, he chuckled.  “Sorry for this to happen.  Maybe you too big distraction for me.”  Mary smiled showing her beautiful teeth and said, “I think I also be distracted thinking about shiny baubles.  Do you really have them?”
“I have them tomorrow when new shipment come in.  Then I show them to you”, he said puffing out his chest. 
“Tomorrow?  I don’t think I sleep well tonight thinking about them.  It is so exciting to imagine me wearing shiny bauble.”
“Don’t worry your pretty head.  I select best for you.  You sleep good tonight and tomorrow you get gift from me.”
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am

Mary passed on the information. Mr. Big seemed neiher pleased nor annoyed. Mary wanted to know to which country the diamonds were being shipped, but asking would blow her cover. Mr. Big was anxious to leave; he clearly had urgent things to do. He excused himself and left.

Mary decided to ask her drunken companion a few more questions before he sobered up. When she returned to continue the conversation, he was slumped on the table, fast asleep. She shook his shoulder gently. He opened his eyes and said, "You beautiful lady, but I not able to do anything to please you."

Mary sighed inwardly and thought, that's a relief. "There must be many beautiful women in your country," she said. "Are you from Russia. I think that Russian women are very attractive."

"No, I am not Russian. I am Romanian."

Last edited by Shelagh on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Interesting, Mary thought. "I did not mean to offend. Romanians nice people too." She looked up and saw her minder. "You want help to room? My friend help me help you."

"Yes, that nice."

Together Mary and Terri helped Rodney to his room. He handed his key card over. Mary slid it as Terri took a little more of Rodney's weight.

"You nice lady too. Remind me of sister." Rodney's head went forward.

Terri tipped it back as Mary opened the door. They guided him to his bed and they turned him around and allowed him to fall back against the mattress. He was out like a light. 

Mary closed the door as softly as possible. Terri took some latex gloves from the pants pocket and handed a pair to Mary as she returned. They both did a quick search of the room.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm

They ran their  rubber glove covered hands over the entire room and found absolutely nothing!!!!

This was not their lucky day.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Mary did a fast check concerning her knowledge of Romania.  She knew that the politics of country influenced its people.  Her research told her that Romania was occupied by Russian troops during the second world war and that it became a satellite of the Soviet Union.  It was under communist rule until the Romanian leader was overthrown.  Free elections were held and Romania joined NATO in 2004. In 2007 it became part of the EU. She learned that Romania is rich in natural resources with petroleum reserves; metals, including gold and silver.  “Aha”, she exclaimed loudly. “Gold and silver may be the link.”   She made a mental note to use that information when next talking with Rodney. It could give her the opening she needed to help identify the source of his shipments.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 3:06 am

Mary's thoughts never materialised. Mr. Big had the information he wanted. The next morning the Romanian checked out of the hotel and left.

Later that day, she was given new orders. That evening, she would be entertaining another gentleman. Mr. Big was pleased with her, and for now, her real identity was safe. She wondered if it would be as easy to seduce the new guy arriving from out of town.
Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 am

Because of the bad weather, Terri aka Jake had kept Mary at the hotel in the room with all the clothes. They slept on top the bed covers, each under a separate extra blanket, which the hotel provided all the guests. Of course, the emerald dress was hung in the bathroom to keep it fresh. Mary kept on her undergarments. The next morning, Terri said there were more in the drawers. Mary looked for something that wasn't too daring and took them into the bathroom and took a quick shower with the provided soap and shampoo. She stepped out freshly washed wearing the clothes she came to the hotel in. 

When the order came down that she was to meet a new gentleman caller. Terri had gotten some specifics that Mr. Big only shared with the minders. After the call ended, Terri said, "Looks like this client prefers the color blue. Let's find an appropriate dress and makeup. Let's have some music too." The radio was turned up to cover the whispering. "You did good with Rodney but looks like this will be a tough customer. The innocent but not too innocent act may not work. Show some intelligence but don't be too smart."

"I know a little bit about a lot of different subjects. I can play it by ear. Hopefully, by the time my knowledge runs out, the gentleman will be under my charms or other influences." 

"They do tend to be free with the alcohol. Speaking of which, here's a pill to take to help you absorb the effects." 

Mary swallowed the pill. Got dressed and ready. As they entered the chosen venue, Mr. Big was in a corner with a suave-looking man of undetermined heritage. Terri left to go back to the room. Mary crossed the room towards Mr. Big and the gentleman caller. 

"Ah, Mary, you are looking most beautiful tonight. Allow me to introduce you to Arturo. Arturo, your companion for this event, Mary."

Arturo bowed slightly, took her hand and placed a chaste kiss upon it. "Charmed by your beauty and your graceful entrance. Shall we?"

"We shall." Mary put her hand on Arturo's elbow. "What brings you to town?"

"Another boring conference but I understand that tonight's event will not be so boring. Have you ever been to a function that has dinner theater?"
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 pm

In the meanwhile, Sam was becoming frustrated not having heard anything from Chief Murphy since he sent him the photos. He decided to pay Carrie Smith a visit.  He took Wolf with him and knocked on the door.  Carrie had been looking out the window and saw Sam approach.  She opened the door immediately, quickly pulling Sam inside. She patted Wolf on the head and went to get him a treat.  Sam noticed that the chairs had been moved away from the window along with the potted flowers that were by the window on his previous visit.  “Please sit-down Mr. Sullivan.  There’s something strange going on here and I’m getting scared.  People coming and going is just one thing.”  She stood up, went to the window and pointing said, “Look at that guy over there next to the church.  It looks like he is standing guard. I saw him pulling out a gun from under his trench coat. There’s another one on the left side of Hoffman’s house, dressed in the same fashion.  See that shed behind Hoffman’s house?  I think it is being used as a storage for something.  Yesterday a van came – a different one this time with no windows.  It looked like a delivery van. . Anyway, they carried some containers and put them in that shed, then locked the door to the shed and posted a guard there.  At least I think it is a guard. Why else would that guy be standing by the shed after they put those boxes in?  They appeared to be heavy boxes since it took two people to carry each box. They looked to be metal containers with handles on each end. I’m scared Mr. Sullivan.  What’s going on here in our village?”
“First of all, please call me Sam. I am your friend and will do everything possible to protect you.  There is something going on at the Hoffman house involving girls and possibly other things.  The police are aware of this activity and it is possible that one of the guards is with the police force, but I can’t be sure of that. I’m going to leave my camera with you.  Take as many pictures as you can and keep me posted on what you see.  In an emergency, call this number and ask for Chief Murphy.”  Sam wrote down the number and showed Carrie how to use the camera. “In any event, call me and I’ll come at once with Wolf. Don’t answer the door unless you know who it is.”
“I can’t stay cooped up in the house.  There are things I need and must go out.”
“I understand.  Make a list of the things you need and I’ll get them for you. If you must go out alone, call me and I’ll bring Wolf to accompany you.  It will do you and Wolf both good to get some exercise.  You won’t have anything to worry about with Wolf with you.  He already likes you and will protect you.”
“Thank you Mr.Sul…. I mean Sam. I feel better already. I’ll do what you say and take pictures.  I’ll call you when something else happens.  I’ll make a list of things I need that the local store doesn’t carry.”

“Good.  Call me when you have the list and I’ll swing by and get them for you.”
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 3:40 am

On his way home, Sam had a mean thought. If Wolf found the skunk and chased it into the house opposite Carrie Smith's, the terrified skunk would stink the place out, and all the occupants. He laughed to himself at the idea.
Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 1:07 pm

A thought of a skunk and a wolf popped into Mary's head as she listened to Arturo drone on about his love of theater. She took a chance when he took a break. "In your experience, has there ever been a play that had a skunk and a wolf in it? I just had a fleeting image of skunk chasing a wolf."

Arturo laughed. "Not to my knowledge. That would be pretty funny though."

Mary smiled. "I agree. There are some movies that show women wearing all kinds of necklaces with lots of diamonds and gold. I would think that would weigh them down and if a skunk or a wolf came along that lady would not be able to run very fast."

A belly laugh escaped Arturo. "I think you may be right about that. Have you ever worn a fancy necklace?"

"Not really. My mother had a pearl necklace. She let me wear it once. It was lovely."

"What happened to it?"

"She had to sell it. A long story but it helped keep a roof over our heads for a while."

"Ah, I see. Would you like to have a necklace?"

"Perhaps one day."

"A beautiful lady deserves beautiful things. Perhaps I will bring you something the next time I'm in town."

"That would be lovely."

"A toast to beautiful ladies."

"And handsome men." Mary's thoughts drifted to Jake and gradually the mission. "If you don't mind my asking, how often do you come this way?"

"Not as often as I would like. This area is peaceful. Not like where I come from."

"Where is that?"
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 3:30 am

„That’s a difficult question to answer.  I move around a lot and no longer have a permanent place of residence.”
“I can understand that.  But what place do you call home?”
“I could ask you the same question.  What place do you call home?”
Mary laughed with a bright smile and then said, “I guess we have something in common.  Moving around seems to be a normal thing.  Here in the West they have a saying that Home is where the heart is.”
“Yes, they have many sayings here in the West.  Some make sense while others are wishful thinking, if you know what I mean. At the moment, my heart is with you.”
“You flatter me.”
“No, not at all.  I’m serious when I say that. Having someone to talk with that understands what it’s like to be in a foreign country, away from friends and relatives, is refreshing.  Having the feeling of being alone is not good.”
“Are you alone here?”
“I was until I met you,” he said with a big smile while putting his arm around her. Perhaps we can get to know each other better, eh?”
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 5:34 am

Story inconsistency alert: Mary has suddenly lost her East European accent and is presenting herself as an all-American girl.

Back to the story:

Mary was concerned that Arturo was not divulging much. Since she did not know what information was being sought, it was difficult to tell.

On the plus side, he was starting to show signs of inebriation after consuming small amounts of alcohol. Knocking back the drinks so quickly was taking its effect. She decided to ask a few more questions in case he passed out. "You know people in the theatre, yes?"

"Oh, I know many important people. Producers and directors. I have many other important friends. I am, as they say, well connected."

Mary smiled as though impressed. "In my country, well-connected mean connection to politicians and high officials."

"Yes, I know some very high officials," Arturo said. "In Mexico, it is important to get connected."
Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 3:54 pm

"I have never been to Mexico. I have heard it is very dangerous. You must be brave as well as handsome."

"It can be rather difficult to get around, even with connections."

"I can only imagine." Mary put her head in her hands and looked off to the corner of the room and frowned. "No, I take that back. I cannot imagine what it is like to put your life at risk. You must have a very important job."

"It is very important to my clients. Enough about work. I would rather look into your eyes."

Drat and I was so close, thought Mary. She looked again and saw where Arturo was actually looking. "Did you perform onstage?"

That brought his eyes to hers. "Why, yes I did when I was much younger. Life had other plans for me but I still find time to visit a play or two."

"Where would you say has the best theater for performing arts?"
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 am

When he hesitated in answering the question, Mary went back to the subject of Mexico.

“Does connections help you get product in and out of Mexico?”
“Yes, it helps much.  In America they say, Greasing the wheel.”
“Ha, ha.  You use much grease?”
“Only with problems.  Used to be many problems.  Now not many.  Big profits make it easy.”
“I see you are smart man.”
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 10:44 am

He wa smarter than Mary realised. She had dropped her guard and said "here in the west". If she thought Arturo had been inattentive, she was wrong. He suspected that Mary was not the East European she claimed to be. He may have appeared to be slightly drunk, but his natural instinct to trust no one was not impaired.

Being a highly trained FBI agent, Jake aka Terri realised that Mary had blown her cover, and they had to get the hell out of there before things turned nasty.
Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Terri came to the table. "My apologies sir." Arturo nodded but didn't take his eyes off them. "Mary, did you forget you have an early appointment tomorrow?"

"I must leave you, Arturo, perhaps we will meet again." Mary stood and left with Terri.

"When I said act smarter, I didn't mean get too cultured or act American," Terri whispered as they were near the bank of elevators.

"Hey, I'm still new to all of this. No one trained me to be a sort of double agent," Mary said in a soft voice.

"We need to get out of here." Terri turned them towards the door and when they were outside they saw a taxi offloading passengers.

Last edited by LynnCSWC on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Repeated line)
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:33 pm

It was never going to be that easy. Mr. Big had ordered two of his thugs to follow them out of the hotel. "Run," cried Jake.

Mary kicked off her heels and ran as fast as she could, narrowly missing colliding with the elderly couple who had just stepped out of the taxi. Jake was ahead of her, running at speed. He turned into a side street and Mary followed. At the end of the street, he zig-zagged between the traffic to the oppoite side of the road. Mary did the same. Cars honked as the two thugs following them tried to do the same.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 am

The sound of tires screeching and horns blowing caused Mary and Jake to look back.  One of the thugs was laying on the street, having been hit by a car.  The other thug was bending over his fallen partner. Jake grabbed Mary by the arm and pulled her into a convenience store.  As they caught their breath they looked out the window.  A crowd was already gathering around the injured man.  A policeman appeared, blowing his whistle as he made his way to the scene. He appeared to be talking on his phone, presumable calling for an ambulance and backup. Jake took Mary by the arm. They walked back onto the sidewalk ignoring the crowd and made their escape.  As soon as they were clear of the scene, Jake hailed a taxi giving him the address of the hotel.  As they made their way to the hotel, Jake decided it was time to contact his superior for instructions on how to proceed.  In the meanwhile, it would allow Mary to get some rest and compose herself.  She appeared nervous and shaken from the recent events.  At this point he didn’t know if Mary was an asset or a liability.  Did she blow her cover or would the accident with the thugs be a positive incident to reconnect with Arturo?  The more he thought about it, the more it made sense.  She could possibly use Arturo as an excuse to seek his protection. That was something to be discussed with his boss, and if he agreed, to develop a scenario to get her back on track with the investigation. Jake liked Mary and didn’t want this incident to end their developing relationship.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Continued Story   Continued Story - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Continued Story
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next