Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

New continued story

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12510
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: New continued story   Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 am

Once upon a time there were two white mice living alone in a tired, old house. The last occupants had died years ago, and since then the building had been abandoned. The roof leaked, the doors had fallen off their rusted hinges, and only a few windows remained. The two mice lived under the floor boards, the only part of the house that was safe and dry.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10591
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 am

Although they were safe and dry, they were very hungry.  They had raided the cupboards and eaten the last scraps of food.  It was now time to leave their secure hiding place and search for food.  Squeaky, the boy mouse, felt it his duty to take charge.  Puffing his tiny chest, he announced his intentions to his sister, Prissy, that he would venture out into the unknown world and seek food.  Having heard noises of unknown creatures lurking about outside, he was frightened.  He tried not to show his fear as he made his way to a crack in the door.  Prissy followed close behind him uttering words of caution and encouragement.  Before Squeaky crawled through the opening, he turned around, flicked his tail and disappeared from view.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Tue May 01, 2018 12:24 pm

The tiny, white mouse scuttled acoss the dirt path that surrounded the house. He dived into the long grass for safety. There were too many predators hanging around to make it safe to stay exposed for too long. Using his nose to push the grass aside, he wormed his way through to the bottom of the garden. The garden had not been tended for years, but the apple and pear trees continued to bear fruit, which fell to the ground and provided food for all the wildlife.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15639
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm

There was one really scarry thing.  It was a puffy long haired white cat with a long tail which was always sniffing
about.  He was scared to death of it.  Whenever it caught sight of him, it growled hissed and  chased him.

Where is Lynn?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Wed May 02, 2018 12:40 am

(This story should be appealing to Betty.)

Squeaky was small, but spunky and smart.  He realized that his white fur made him visible to the cat.  “I must change that”, he thought.  As he crawled through the grass, dirt clung to his fur and it wasn’t long before his white fur turned brown.  He was excited about this development but realized that movement would still attract attention.   His first priority was to get some food in his stomach for the energy he needed.  As he cautiously moved forward, he nibbled on the food in front of him.  There was a natural indentation where the fruit had lain providing him with cover.  As he lay there munching on a pear, his thoughts turned to Prissy.  How could he carry some food to her? He considered the fact that he would have to run fast to escape the cat and couldn’t be burdened with a heavy load.  The pear just in front of him had some flesh on it with a stem still intact.  “Aha” he muttered.  I can drag that pear by the stem and run to the hole in the house door.  If I can make it to the hole I’ll be safe.  The hole is too small for the cat to get through.  He began inching his way toward the house dragging the pear with him.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 am

He reached the dirt path and stopped. He twitched his nose to detect a whiff of the cat if it was about. Nothing. He grasped the stem of the pear in his sharp teeth and dashed across the path. Then he dragged the pear towards the hole that promised safety. A sudden movement cast a shadow across the entrance. The cat was about to pounce.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Wed May 02, 2018 10:37 am

He turned back. He did not wish to be cat food. Now he wondered, how on earth would he find something
for Prissy to eat?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 pm

As Squeaky was in the process of turning back, he noticed a movement at the hole.  It was Prissy flicking her tail, dashing about in an attempt to distract the cat.   She had been observing Squeaky’s movements and the particle of food he was bringing to her.  When she spied the cat, she knew that Squeaky was in trouble.  With the movements made by Prissy, the cat turned its attention away from Squeaky and lunged at the hole in the door trying to grab Prissy.  With this diversion, Squeaky crossed the path, inching his way toward the hole using all the cover available.  Just then, he heard the barking of a dog.  The dog was racing toward the cat with teeth barred and growling.  The cat turned away from the hole and fled as the dog approached.   Squeaky didn’t hesitate.  He ran to the hole pulling the pear inside.  The noise outside didn’t bother them.
Squeaky grabbed Prissy and they began to dance.  In his squeaky voice, he improvised a tune to fit the occasion.  “Hee, hee, they didn’t get me,  there is no one smarter than me.  Hee, hee, let me see, what the dog has done to thee….”
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 am

Prissy loved the singing and dancing. She forgot about how hungry she had been  and made a note to herself to do it everyday.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Fri May 04, 2018 10:01 am

The cat was not done. He raised his back, and hissed and spat at the dog. Seeing the evil in the cat's eyes, the dog gave a bark of bravado, and then backed off. With an air of superiority, the cat returned to the hole where the mouse had disappeared and lay in wait. Inside, the two mice nibbled away at the pear, unaware of the danger outside.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Sat May 05, 2018 12:35 pm

As they ate, Prissy began telling tales of mouse lore.  It was said that there was once a “Mighty Mouse” that protected those in the mouse kingdom.  She reminded Squeaky that he was a descendant from this heroic figure.  As she related the stories, Squeaky began thinking of a way to thwart the cat.  He remembered the thorn bush near the path and the thorns that had fallen on the ground.  He devised a plan to get these thorns and use them as a defense barrier.  Under cover of dark, he made his way to the thorn patch and began dragging them to the hole.  It was laborious work and required two long nights of work to accumulate enough thorns to make his defensive barrier.  Placing the thorns in an upright position required ingenuity.  Prissy did her best to steady the thorns while Squeaky anchored them with dirt.  When the project was completed, they viewed their creation.  They were both pleased.  Squeaky visualized the cat bringing its paw down to grab him and getting the thorns stuck in its paw instead.  If the dog failed to chase the cat away, then he must take charge.  “What would Mighty Mouse do”, he wondered?  It was said that Mighty Mouse used a sword to slay his enemies.  Squeaky found toothpicks in the cupboard and decided to use them as his sword.  Prissy helped him tie a toothpick to his tail that pointed upward.  Testing his new creation with the thorns and toothpicks was risky, but necessary for their survival.  Squeaky crept to the hole in the door and sniffed the air.  There was a strong cat odor.  He immediately retreated. “Should I attract the cat or wait for the cat to make its move first?”
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Sat May 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Squeaky decided it would be best to attack the cat rather than sneak about hiding.

Last edited by alice on Sun May 06, 2018 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Sun May 06, 2018 5:01 am

Prissy was timid and afraid for her fearless brother. She fretted about being left alone. She would not last a week without his company. She hid in the corner and started to shake. Squeaky ran over to comfort and reassure the tiny creature quivering in the corner.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Sun May 06, 2018 9:01 am

Squeaky had worked long and hard to build a disguise and  he now wanted to see how it would work.  Grabbing the toothpick swords he headed for the  headquarters of the Cat and stood at attention at the door waiting  for him to come out.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Mon May 07, 2018 9:59 am

The instant Squeaky sensed that the puffy cat was appearing, he ran over to meet him.  His sword was drawn and he was ready for swift and violent action.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm

The cat grinned at the sight of the tiny mouse armed with a toothpick. The grin was soon wiped from his face when he felt a sharp pain in the tender part of his paw. Squeaky had driven the sharp stick through the vulnerable part of the cat's front paw. Insensed at the audacity of his foe, the cat lashed out and sent the mouse reeling. Undaunted, Squeaky scrambled to his feet and removed the toothpick, which he drove into the cat's other front paw. Forced to sit on his haunches because of the excrutiating pain, the cat narrowed his eyes and waited for the pain to subside.

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Mon May 07, 2018 11:49 pm

In the meanwhile, the dog was taking his morning walk.  When he spied the cat, he charged.  On short spurts, cats are faster than dogs and cats usually escape by climbing a tree – something a dog can’t do.  This morning, however, the cat was in pain and running would be difficult.  The cat quickly thought of its options.  Could he fight off the dog with his claws?  With the pain in his foot, that would be difficult and cause even more pain.  Fast thinking was needed with a viable plan, however there was no time to form a plan.  Instincts took over and running was the only course of action.  As the cat took off running, he cried in pain.  Squeaky heard the cat’s meow that sounded like a cry in distress as the dog narrowed the gap with his prey.  There was no time for the cat to reach the large tree so he jumped onto the closest thing in sight - a sapling. The weight of the cat on this small tree caused it to bend and sway.  Squeaky and Prissy were both drawn to the hole and observed the action in process.  Squeals of delight at the plight of the cat was a momentary diversion causing the dog to halt his pursuit and identify the source of the noise emanating from the hole in the door.  When the dog stopped, the cat took this opportunity to sprint to a larger tree for safety.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Tue May 08, 2018 10:52 am

Up the tree, High in the tree went the mean old fat cat. He wouldn't be bothering them for awhile. In fact he was so high up the tree he would need help getting down. He was a fraidy cat.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Tue May 08, 2018 2:55 pm

The dog spied something moving under the rickety porch. When he saw the critter, he took flight. The cat breathed a sigh of relief until he, too, saw the black and white animal emerge from the darkness. If there was one creature the cat abhorred, it was a skunk.

Last edited by Shelagh on Wed May 09, 2018 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Tue May 08, 2018 6:03 pm

The mouse was looking about this way and that looking for
a way to get down when all of the sudden Squeaky spied an oversized skunk!

A skunk was the very last thing Squeaky wanted to see or smell.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 am

Squeaky became excited when he realized that the Skunk could be his protection.  In the annuls of mouse lore, Skunks had never harmed mice.  Skunks activated their spray mechanism against larger animals.  As long as the skunk was nearby, Squeaky could go out in search for food.  The smell of the skunk was not pleasant, even to mice, however it was notification that mice predators would be repelled.  He could do his food-search in safety.  His thoughts about the cat being stranded in the tree working to extract the thorns from his feet, caused him to smile.  While most critters could not detect a mouse smile, Prissy could.  She was delighted to see the change from fear to bravado.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am

Just as Squeaky was beginning to feel safe, another danger presented itself. The hoot of a large owl filled the air and struck him with terror. He wasted no time and dived through the hole to the safety of his home beneath the floorboards. Prissy hugged him and showered him with praise for his heroic endeavours.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Thu May 10, 2018 12:59 am

When Squeaky recovered from his fright, he began pacing while muttering “dam,dam,dam”.   Prissy tried to ignore his ranting, however when it persisted, she felt the need to intervene.  “What has you so upset, Squeaky?”
“Just when we solve one problem, another pops up.  We need to figure out a way to keep the owl from viewing us as food.  I keep seeing the owl swooping down and grabbing us by those claws and taking us away from our home – forever.  This is our home, Prissy.  This our castle - humble as it may be.  No one is going to evict us and we cannot live in fear.   I’m considering a new tactic.  What if we built a replica of ourselves, a dummy, and filled it with something that they wouldn’t like.  Perhaps a bitter taste or something so repulsive that the owl or the cat would no longer want us?”
“Wow, that sounds like a great idea.  There is some yarn that I found in the cupboard that I could knit in the shape of a mouse.  The stuffing could be something repulsive.  We must think about the stuffing.  In the meanwhile, I’ll start knitting the mouse suit.”
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Thu May 10, 2018 11:21 am

Prissy was a fast knitter and she began immediately to knit a copy of herself and also an exact replica of Squeaky.
She was sure thiis would solve the problem.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 am

The dog chased the cat that stalked the owl that swooped down on the mice effigies and carried them off in its claws. The owl let out a long hoot; the cat wailed and the dog yelped. The two white mice watched it all and wondered what would happen next.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New continued story   

Back to top Go down

New continued story
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: