Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE

Go down 
+5
Shelagh
Abe F. March
dkchristi
alice
joefrank
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 am

Amazingly true Shelagh! But only one book at $19.00... after that, the used copies start at $65!! Insane...
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 am

...and this published by Simon & Schuster (January 2001) is a snip at $6,552.83!

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Case-Squad-Edna-Buchanan/dp/5558607599/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281804708&sr=1-1
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 10:00 am

It's pages must be plated in 24 carat platinum and have diamond and emerald letterings inside!!

PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 Lol
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 10:19 am

There's got to be a postive spin on Ahad's high price. If price reflects value, you've got a winner.

Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 10:37 am

Those second-hand seller prices are set by clueless computers working on bad information. Sometimes a book gets calculated as "rare," which makes the price higher.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:44 am

What next?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Two updates: 1) I was also "invited" at last to submit an autobiography to PA and 2) the recent "books at the AARP conference in Orlando" is interesting since no other publisher is on the exhibitor list, including PA - most of the exhibitors are for travel, insurance, AARP and failing health needs - and then the bitter end, cemetary plots. I did see the Peace Corps is exhibiting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:45 pm

dkchristi wrote:
- and then the bitter end, cemetary plots.

lol. DK, you have a dry sense of humor that comes out in a lot of your posts, not sure if you're aware of it. You might be better suited to writing in that vein (sarcastic humor) than romance. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:12 pm

LC, I should have clarified the latest offer from PA to their authors who buy books. It is to send one of the books the author buys to the AARP conference to include in their display. If they have a display, it's not yet listed on the exhibitor list and PA's name is nowhere to be found.

In the previous PA sales solicitations to authors, the offer included "free" books sent to Oprah, Washington, D.C., the Governor of California, Barnes & Noble, and quite a list....This latest offer, the author pays for the book PA displays at the AARP conference and for that privilege, the author buys four books, three for the author and one that PA displays at AARP.

Actually, I don't write romance. However, a romantic theme often weaves through our lives; and I capture some of that theme in my writing. Reviewers, hungry for romance, often grab onto that theme; yet, the stories are incident driven with messages about the human heart overcoming life's many challenges. The romance genre to me is quite boring, convention demanding a formula of all is well; something goes wrong; the hero arrives; happy for the moment (HFM) or happy forever (HFE) ending sprinkled with sexual enuendo (depending on the sub-genre how explicit that enuendo becomes).
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:36 pm

I know what you were referring to. The mention of cemetery plots at the AARP conference just sounded funny.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Actually, you are right. I was disappointed in the AARP for having so many exhibitors devoted to fixing bodies and burying them. It seems they should be celebrating life at an older age by providing publishers, authors and fashion shows and gadgets that make life easier such as Nooks and ereaders. Clubs and organizations that 50 plus people are eligible to join with information. Volunteer opportunities. A job fair section with employers that are older worker friendly. Health spas and gyms. Athletic organizations that have divisions for older athletes. Vacation/volunteer opportunities and house swapping info. Information about using computers to clip coupons and save money. Exhibits with cost-cutting information since retirees are facing dismal financial futures. Information about health food and massage and alternative herbs and things that keep a person healthy rather than nursing home info. Yes, some of the sickness stuff is fine; but the majority? Boy, that would turn me off from attending right away. Today, 50 (AARP membership begins) is the prime of life, not the downhill slide....
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:41 am

alice wrote:
Abe F. March wrote:
DK,
I feel as you do.
Is Alice still planning to post all these offers?

Abe,

I gave up and deleted them from my account--there were too many.
Too many authors too!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:47 am

Shelagh wrote:
alice wrote:
Abe F. March wrote:
DK,
I feel as you do.
Is Alice still planning to post all these offers?

Abe,

I gave up and deleted them from my account--there were too many.
Too many authors too!

RIGHT!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:49 am

I still think it would make a good book, a case study in putting brainstorming ideas into practice regardless of their logic for the consumer.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 am

I couldn't get into it. The offers are so bizarre and tiresome.

It was my idea and anyone is welcome to it.

DK, I should have forwarded them to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE   PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

PA HAS RAISED BOOK PRICES HUGE INCREASE
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3