Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Failure

Go down 
+11
alice
E. Don Harpe
joefrank
Abe F. March
Shelagh
Domenic Pappalardo
Carol Troestler
Betty Fasig
alj
lin
mike bryon
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

mike bryon wrote:
Our greatest admirer Alan believes a publisher can ruin your career by publishing your work. To my mind this means he published and flopped and never recovered from the disappointment. Surviving failure is something writers have to master. What advice would you give someone who tried but failed. How best can we avoid the resentment and negative blame game that can come from failure?

I do not know who Alan is so I cannot comment on that part of the above post. Failure? Hmm. I think I can do that. Smile It is a sad fact that many of us who aspire to be the next Dan or Stephanie or J.K. or Steven never will be, nor will we be self-supporting midlisters. Some of us may only have one successful novel in us. I often wonder if the reason I am dragging my feet on completing my novel is a fear of failure. I know that I can write, mostly because others have told me so, not only friends but authors whose names you will see on the NYT best seller list. But honestly, that is not enough to convince me that my childhood dream of seeing my novels on the bookshelves of B&N or Borders or that little indy around the corner from my apartment will ever come true. And the sad thing is, I have requests from four agents to see the full ms when I am done. (Via a conference pitch session.)

Why is that sad? Because that still is not enough to convince me that I may just possibly have what it takes. I often wonder why among so many creative professions it seems that authorship is the one most filled with self doubt, at least that is my personal observation.

It took me 2 years to write my novel, and I am still editing and polishing months later. And in the end, none of the agents who requested the full may think it is publication-worthy. It would be most soul-crushing to discover that, and while the logical side of my brain says there are hundreds of other agents to submit to, my heart may not be willing. So how far would I be willing to go to achieve my dream? Spend another 2 years writing a better book that may also not sell? I know from reading through the various posts here that many people write for many different reasons. My goal is to be a self-supporting author some day, and at this point in time writing is too much work to do for fun (that is not as mercenary as it sounds, trust me! Smile )

I like to think that I will. I have had so much support from friends, family, and all manner of industry professionals I have met along this journey, that if I chose to accept failure I would be letting down so many that gave me part of themselves. I realize that there may come a day when I may have to face the fact that I may never support myself as an author, or that I may be a one-hit wonder if I do get published, or that I may not have what it takes to see my name on the shelves of bookstores everywhere, but that is okay. I have had other failures in my life, although I prefer to look at them as learning experiences because you never truly fail if you try. To me failing is not trying in the first place, so I think I'm covered there.

Avoiding resentment and the negative blame game? Not a problem. Whatever the outcome of my quest for publication, I would not trade one minute of the journey. I am first and foremost a reader, and I have had the pleasure of meeting more of my writing idols than I could ever have imagined. Those encounters will forever be treasured.

Bookstores have always been magical places to me, full of wonder, discovery, and joy. Not to mention that special smell! When I breathe in the air I feel as if I am inhaling the spirit of the thousands of authors whose work is all around me. I am working hard to try and earn a spot among those multitudes of souls who have kept me company from the moment I touched my first book.

Wish me luck! I am sure I will need plenty of it!

Ruby
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 pm

YK, I never got this business of being afraid to send a query out. So you get some no's or ignores. No different than what happens at work or anywhere else you're trying to do business.

And I have sometimes wondered how the people so incensed at Publish America function at their jobs when something doesn't go their way. Do they carry on this way there?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:20 pm

3/23/2010

Ruby...Failure - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Believe in yourself....You have a
dream, hold onto it, don't let anyone tell
you different, take it from someone who
believed in his dream and had four books
published....

Cheers...Joe....Failure - Page 2 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 am

Ruby,

Fantastic post. Fantastic piece of writing. I can tell you can write. Go for it. Don't fear failure. However, there are those who say people fear success more than failure. That might be something to think about.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 am

Hi Ruby,

If you have received four requests from agents, you have already succeeded more than most aspiring writers. You are concerned about the quality of your work and will it be good enough. My first manuscript was not polished and had mistakes that I'd missed when I submitted to the best publishing houses in London. It made it to the discussion stage and was rejected because the publishers didn't feel confident enough to put money behind it. Had I written a genre book, it would have stayed in the slush pile. I don't have the burning desire that many upcoming writers have for a particular genre and, therefore, would not have been able to compete.

If your work is rejected, it will be because your work is either not commercial enough or the stiff competition makes you a runner-up. Writers get wrapped up in the creative side of book production while hard-nosed publishers are only concerned with making a profit. This is a tough business.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 4:04 am

Four agents? Submit today. You are wasting precious time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 5:17 am

Ruby said:
Quote :
Avoiding resentment and the
negative blame game? Not a problem. Whatever the outcome of my quest for
publication, I would not trade one minute of the journey.
I am first
and foremost a reader, and I have had the pleasure of meeting more of my
writing idols than I could ever have imagined. Those encounters will
forever be treasured.

And that's what it's all about.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 6:54 am

Hi Ruby welcome to the forum and I am very happy to wish you luck. I went in search of a place where I could meet other writers and found it here. I’ve not been here long but I have found the interaction with others really valuable. The best thing about this place is the support and encouragement. I hope you find the same.

The first published work is the most important and the most difficult. So you are right to check and double check that you are giving it your best shot. Being published it an essential step in the development of every writer. I believe therefore that you must submit but only you will really know when the time has arrived.

I support my family from writing which means that I cannot afford the luxury of extensive reworking. For the moment you can so give it your very best shot and in your own time when you are ready submit.

Best wishes
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 am

mike bryon wrote:
I support my family from writing which means that I cannot afford the luxury of extensive reworking.

I find that a curious comment. My manuscripts are sent out for peer review. Depending on the comments, extensive reworking may be (and have been) needed. If I didn't do it, either the manuscript would not be as good (meaning the likelihood of sales would not be as good), or the publisher simply wouldn't publish it. I don't make my living from writing, just side money, but I don't see how that would make a difference.
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 am

The context is before the manuscript has been submitted. Changes are sometimes requested before acceptance but that's another matter.
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Carol Troestler wrote:
Ruby,

Fantastic post. Fantastic piece of writing. I can tell you can write. Go for it. Don't fear failure. However, there are those who say people fear success more than failure. That might be something to think about.

Carol

Thanks for the compliments, Carol. Failure - Page 2 Icon_redface

You may have a point in what you say about success. I know from friends who have new careers that there is enormous pressure to follow success with success. Gone are the days when houses would carry new authors until they could earn their keep. While I think I may be happy with one success, I am pretty sure I will be crushed if that is all I have in me. Although I would hope that I would eventually be happy that I did have that one success, lol.

Also, once your first ms is in the hands of your agent you are expected to start your next. And edit the first one as required! Whew, I barely have time to work on this one! Failure - Page 2 Icon_lol

Ruby
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm

joefrank wrote:
3/23/2010

Ruby...Failure - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Believe in yourself....You have a
dream, hold onto it, don't let anyone tell
you different, take it from someone who
believed in his dream and had four books
published....

Cheers...Joe....Failure - Page 2 925501

Thank you Joe! I plan to hold on with both hands until they are pried off by forces beyond my control!

Ruby
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm

A publisher may love your book, but, the publisher does not have the last word. The sellers have to say, "Yes, we can sell it."

There are many people who have to say, "Yes."
It is run like any other business..."What does it cost to print?"..."How big is the market?"..."Can the seller sell it?"
"Does this un-known jerk have more than one book in him/her?" "Is the author easy to work with?" etc, etc.

Look at it like you're selling the idea of your book to Donald Trump. You have two minutes...go.
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Hi Ruby,

If you have received four requests from agents, you have already succeeded more than most aspiring writers. You are concerned about the quality of your work and will it be good enough. My first manuscript was not polished and had mistakes that I'd missed when I submitted to the best publishing houses in London. It made it to the discussion stage and was rejected because the publishers didn't feel confident enough to put money behind it. Had I written a genre book, it would have stayed in the slush pile. I don't have the burning desire that many upcoming writers have for a particular genre and, therefore, would not have been able to compete.

If your work is rejected, it will be because your work is either not commercial enough or the stiff competition makes you a runner-up. Writers get wrapped up in the creative side of book production while hard-nosed publishers are only concerned with making a profit. This is a tough business.

Well, getting requests to submit from a pitch session may sound great but it equates to paying more for the speed pass at an amusement park so you can go to the head of the line. This by no means is intended to denigrate the requests, all it means is that I am able to skip the query phase. My work still needs to prove itself.

Pitch sessions are also great for de-mystifying the scary world that agents inhabit. My first pitch session was a little intimidating, I waited in line with hundreds of other nervous hopefuls, certain that the minute I opened my mouth they'd put up a hand and say sorry, not for me. But it was nothing like that. Each and every one was interested in what I was putting forward, and of the five agents I pitched to four were interested. The one who said no did not handle my genre. Afterwards I chatted with some of them and regretted not pitching to more. One agent whose blog I read religiously and scares me was so very nice in person! I told her that I was afraid to pitch to her and why, and she laughed. And then told me that if I got no takers from the other four to go ahead and submit to her, as long as I didn’t tell anyone that how nice she really was. But I am getting off track, sorry.

I am also making an effort to learn the business side of publishing so I can be prepared for whatever comes next. I realize that one of the functions of an agent is to represent the author, but I am not one to leave my fate in the hands of others so I want to fully understand this wacky and wonderful world of publishing that I intend to infiltrate, one way or another, lol!

Ruby
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm

alice wrote:

Alas, my ms is not yet done. But I am dancing as fast as I can!!!

Ruby
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 pm

mike bryon wrote:
Hi Ruby welcome to the forum and I am very happy to wish you luck. I went in search of a place where I could meet other writers and found it here. I’ve not been here long but I have found the interaction with others really valuable. The best thing about this place is the support and encouragement. I hope you find the same.

The first published work is the most important and the most difficult. So you are right to check and double check that you are giving it your best shot. Being published it an essential step in the development of every writer. I believe therefore that you must submit but only you will really know when the time has arrived.

I support my family from writing which means that I cannot afford the luxury of extensive reworking. For the moment you can so give it your very best shot and in your own time when you are ready submit.

Best wishes

Thank you for the welcome! And yes, I agree that the first is very important.

Ruby
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:00 am

ruby wrote:
alice wrote:

Ruby

Finish it . Set a deadline and go for it.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 am

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
"Does this un-known jerk have more than one book in him/her?" "Is the author easy to work with?"

I have never perceived that my books were accepted because the publisher thought I'd be submitting more.
Back to top Go down
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:06 am

Ruby, you are like a breath of fresh air! I love reading your posts (oops--maybe I should put this on the "love" thread).
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:46 am

I agree with Helen!
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:19 pm

alice wrote:
ruby wrote:
alice wrote:

Ruby

Finish it . Set a deadline and go for it.

Yes ma'am! Failure - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Ruby
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Thank you Helen and Alice. Failure - Page 2 Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
ruby
One Star Member
One Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm

LC wrote:
domenic Pappalardo wrote:
"Does this un-known jerk have more than one book in him/her?" "Is the author easy to work with?"

I have never perceived that my books were accepted because the publisher thought I'd be submitting more.

Hmm, I have never heard this regarding a publisher either. I have heard this from agents however - does the author have any ideas for more books. And in fact when I was pitching, two of the agents asked me if I had anything in the queue after the current ms was complete, and it just so happened that I had my handy-dandy cheat sheet with me, lol. I whipped it out and handed it over, and both were happy to see my ideas. Smile I would not be surprised if they asked for fulls partly because of my list.

I do not see anything wrong with an agent asking if you have more ideas, I am sure they would like an author who can produce multiple books, it is a benefit to both the author and the agent, not to mention the house who publishes the books. Although, because my goal is to be a full time author some day, I am constantly jotting down ideas whenever something comes into my head or catches my eye. It is odd how a phrase or image can spark a story in my twisted little brain. Smile

I am pretty crazy like that!

Ruby
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 5:16 am

Ruby,

How much do you have to go before you are through with your manuscript?

Deadlines are important.

Writers need to work to a schedule.

I feel that is where the failure comes for most.

They say "I will do it later."

Later never works.
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:19 am

I have come across both requirements (more than one book and easy to work with).

In non fiction is it not so common to have an agent and the author has a lot of dealings with the publisher (good thing). However, if an author is too demanding, if they raise loads of issues with editorial staff and marketing, if they make themselves a royal pain in the arse then the publisher will give up on them. It has happened even when their work has sold worthwhile numbers.

For my experience publishers would rather invest in a series that a single book. They can always drop out of the deal if the first book does not sell but if it does they want their investment and the risk they took to pay and pay again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Failure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Failure   Failure - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Failure
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next