Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure Empty
PostSubject: Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure   Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:50 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110210/wl_afp/francepoliticsimmigrationsociety_20110210231042

This is after Merkel and Cameron also said it. LOL, I guess building Eurabia wasn't such a good idea?
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure   Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 am

Okay, what does he propose to replace it with?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure   Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 am

I think the problem might be with the "separate but equal" idea. It doesn't give anyone the opportunity to really communicate with someone from a different culture. You end up with isolated islands that breed suspicion.

Chris, maybe the answer would be to find some way to help the diverse groups communicate.

One of the best things to happen in my hometown community durning the '70's had to do with laws that allowed people of whatever race or culture they might come from to buy property in any neighborhood they chose. After my divorce, I bought a house in one of those integrated subdivisiions. Our neighbors directly across the street were African American, two doors down on the same side of the street was a Vietnamese family, across the street from them, the Tigers - Bobby, the father was full-blood Cherokee, and just around the corner was a physician from India with his family. The kids all got along great from the beginning; it took the adults a little longer. A tropical storm helped bring it about. After the storm had passed, we were all stuck at home (schools and businesses were still closed) with no electricity. At one point about mid-morning, I went out to survey the damage and noticed that most of my neighbors were doing the same. I shouted that I had gas stove and was making a pot of coffee. Before long, I had a kitchen full of people who were eager to wake up and started sharing stories. After that, we began to become a real community.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure   Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:27 am

The question I asked, Ann, was what Sarkozy proposed to replace multiculturism with? Helping to communicate sounds nice but that's not a replacement.

I don't think Sarkozy has any idea of what he is talking about.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure   Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 am

Immigrants must learn to assimilate into a society, and that begins by learning the language.
An outsider remains an outsider primarily by choice. Not wanting to learn a new language, or a new culture is the biggest stumbling block to integration. How can you get to know someone if you can't communicate with them? In this regard, multiculturalism is a failure.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure   Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 8:39 am

Eh, Europe gets what it deserves. I laughed when Cameron cried about multiculturalism not working. The UK banned Geert Wilders from entering; they said he "instilled racial hatred." Not sure what he did to deserve that description -did he ever kill anyone or riot over cartoons? But they don't have a problem with Islamic fundamentalists coming in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure   Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure Empty

Back to top Go down

Sarkozy says multiculturalism is a failure
Page 1 of 1