Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Technical questions about converting to Kindle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
toroddfuglesteg

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Technical questions about converting to Kindle Empty
PostSubject: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi. I am considering switching from Lulu to Amazon for my new, monster lenght book which I am now half way through writing. So far, an amazing cure against insomnia (for the reader; not me).
A couple of tech questions:
1. I guess I just have to download this free Open Office/MS Office to Kindle programme. The book is one cover and the rest is text and text only. That should be OK ?
1a. Which one is the best free converter again since I have now forgotten the one I used half a year ago ?
2. My new novel is a four chapter + epilogue novel. It is probably going to hit the 100 000 words mark. I am already on 20 000 words on the first chapter and 35 000 words on the second chapter. Any problems with Amazon over it ?
I am on my own. No publisher and no book tour planned. I just want it released and then promote it through my normal channels + here when it is out so you guys can hear about it. I guess the 70 % royalties option is the right one ?
Thanx in advance for your answers. If anyone got a cure against temporary senility, please let me know.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Advice - consider breaking it up into a series, especially for Kindle. Ebook readers want something they can finish quickly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
toroddfuglesteg

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:58 pm

I am afraid that is not possible this time, Ann.
Your advice though has been taken on board and may be implemented on the book # 2 in the series, which probably will be books # 2 and 3 in the series.
The formatting issues should go without any problems ?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 5:56 pm

If my experience is anything like typical, expect problems. Stay calm, follow the guidelines and advice, and expect it to take a while.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Many self-publishers use Mobipocket Creator. Check out Calibre too.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:31 pm

To downsize word count, write the book and then when you edit it, delete all unnecessary narrative, which is anything that does not advance the story, develop characters, or clarify setting. You'll probably cut half.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 5:38 pm

If I do that Al, I won't have any book left.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical questions about converting to Kindle   Technical questions about converting to Kindle Empty

Back to top Go down

Technical questions about converting to Kindle
Page 1 of 1