Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!

Go down 
+2
Shelagh
EmmaMJU
6 posters
AuthorMessage
EmmaMJU

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-11

Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  Empty
PostSubject: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 am

Hi! I'm a high school student writing an assignment, our task is to write a report about the job we'd like to work in the future, and how we plan to get there. now, i want to be an author, I really, really, really want to be an author, and my dream is of course to be able to live off of it.
I was wondering if any of you lovely people would be willing to answer some questions for me, to help me with my presentation?
Thanks a bunch!! Very Happy Very Happy

here are my most urgent questions:

what are the requirements for being a successful author?
What are the requirements for being an original and technically good author, and are they different?
I know it can be very difficult to live off your writing, but isn't it possible to have it as a part time job, instead of just a hobby?

what are some of the tricks and rules, of writing a good novel? how do you get a plot to stick together, edit, and make an exciting storyline?

did you ever suffer from a writing blockage, and how did you get over it?

how do you keep up with a release date? if you want to write full-time,
should you schedule working hours and a time schedule for yourself? doesn't it cut off the inspiration to force yourself to sit down and sstart writing?

can you break through as an untutored writer, or is it easier to go to a school for writers, or take courses or seminars?

it seems dishonest to me, to sit down and write a novel, not after your own head, but after what people want to read. Do you think it'll be a problem, and how do i find a compromize?

Will anything other than a stereotype novel be doomed too failure? what is the line between original and too weird?

How do I find a publisher, and how do i get him to publish my work? will an editor want to change my work so much, it won't really seem like mine anymore? should I go through with it anyway?
how much of a say do i have in the matter?

Finally: Is it as satisfying to finish a novel, edited, get it published and hear people loving it, as it is in my head? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Really! thanks so much!!! weee! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 8:48 am

Hi Emma,

I could write a book in the time it would take to answer all your questions. Can you think of a list of questions for any other job that you might be interested in if your attempts at becoming an author fail? I suspect the list would be a good deal shorter.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 am

Take your own questions, apply some common sense to answer them, and there's your essay.

I would add this: Include an intention to get a related education and to finish it. Journalism, literature, English. Work grunt jobs at small newspapers if you can.

I've never had writer's block. I've had the other problem. You can't shut me up.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Quote :
here are my most urgent questions:
what are the requirements for being a successful author? what are the requirements for being an original and technically good author, and are they different? I know it can be very difficult to live off your writing, but isn't it possible to have it as a part time job, instead of just a hobby? what are some of the tricks and rules, of writing a good novel? how do you get a plot to stick together, edit, and make an exciting storyline? did you ever suffer from a writing blockage, and how did you get over it? how do you keep up with a release date? if you want to write full-time, should you schedule working hours and a time schedule for yourself? doesn't it cut off the inspiration to force yourself to sit down and start writing? can you break through as an untutored writer, or is it easier to go to a school for writers, or take courses or seminars? it seems dishonest to me, to sit down and write a novel, not after your own head, but after what people want to read. Do you think it'll be a problem, and how do i find a compromise? will anything other than a stereotype novel be doomed too failure? what is the line between original and too weird? How do I find a publisher, and how do i get him to publish my work? will an editor want to change my work so much, it won't really seem like mine anymore? should I go through with it anyway? how much of a say do i have in the matter? finally: Is it as satisfying to finish a novel, edited, get it published and hear people loving it, as it is in my head?

and with the goblin showed, sat down, and then slowly eyed through the questions one by one, shaking his head, no not out of negativity, more simply out of dismay, saying "...gosh, so many questions here, that she would get a different answer from each one of us, so much so that the answers would just not make sense for their contradictions, for where was there ever a common ground between writers now, the criteria of a writer is what then...", till at last the goblin felt back, and added "...put it this way, you want to become a writer, ah but, one never becomes a writer in fact, no, writing is just a strange force of habit here, simply one doesn't feel quite right without writing something, and if you feel that way too, then I guess you're one of us then, mad perhaps..." continuing "...now, to show you that I am your friend then, choose one, amongst those questions there, and ask me it on the "last post" thread of this forum, but only one now, I will be waiting then, I mean, you do trust goblins now don't you...", and with that the goblin smiled, for something in the anonymous night was calling him away again, but perhaps too she would accept his invitation

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by fleamailman on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Grammar, spelling...feel what you write. Stay the course...don't think about making it, or not making it. Learn how to put what you feel on paper, and build on it. I'll read what you write.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 am

Hi Domenic,

Good to hear from you again. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 4:36 am

I once had a professor tell me, "English is a fascinating discipline to study, but a helluva way to make a living."

The same can be said for writing. You will have to find a balance between your head and your heart, and realize that, at some point, it becomes a business like any other.

You can't be a writer in a vacuum. If you want to sell your work, there will be times when you must sell yourself to do it. Choices will have to be made at every step of the way, where you must either sacrifice your artistic concept and do what is popular, or retain it and know that you will be selling to a reduced market.

My suggestion is to focus on the art first, and apply the craft later. Be willing to let go of some parts that you treasure for the good of the whole, and for getting it out to the public.

Be prepared for your readers to interpret your work from a different perspective. Once it is out there, it no longer belongs to you.

But if you are genuine in saying that this is something you really, really, really must do, follow your bliss and go where it leads you.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
EmmaMJU

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 4:55 am

HE HE HE! I didn't get my questions answered(Understandable) but I am still hugely grateful to everybody who answered me! god I was delighted to read your answers, I still have a huge smile on my face! Writing is what I want to do, and I'm going to do it. thanks ALJ! I am going to focus on the art, it is what makes me want to do it in the first place, and I will have to face the commerciality of the outside world with the knowledge that I, at least, am proud of what i created. I just have to make everybody else see it too!
I am so happy I'm bouncing!
Fleamailman: I love your madness! I think I can manage the essay on my own now, I'd love to check out some of your work though...
Al Stevens: that's what I wanted to do! but the teacher councelling me convinced me, I would fail if I didn't talk to someone who actually worked in the business I've chosen... And now, I have! Cool
hi, hi, hi! great day, great joy to all of you!
thank you.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 7:21 am

and with that the goblin smiled, saying "...well now human, if I may be so bold as to call you one that is, your first test then will be to see if you can find me and my thread somewhere, knowing that it takes much audacity and willpower to actually post on it MYAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ah but I'll reply if you do, oh, and I like pictures though not of you though, no that would spoil it, I like those pictures that move you now...", the relentless rain muffled the sounds outside, the day was marching it course once more, where perhaps the internet would offer better pickings he felt

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!    Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Please! help me answer some questions, I need you!
Page 1 of 1